Chapter 167

The Road Home #2

It had been a week since then.

The news about Theodore’s group leaving was immediately relayed to Marquis and the crown prince, making for an easy farewell. After all, they didn’t like the fact that two strong people were hiding in their country.

The only people who felt regretful about Theodore and Randolph leaving were the Baek Family staying at the mansion.

“A week has already passed,” Baek Jongmyung, the expert of the Baek Family, said to them with a dark expression.

One was a nice man who guided his son, while the other was a friend he had dueled and drank with a few times. There might be a large age difference between them, but Baek Jongmyung socialized with them like they were friends. He mourned that Theodore’s scheduled departure was this soon.

Looking back and forth between Theodore and Randolph, Baek Jongmyung said, “…As Sir Ted requested, I will manage the annex where the two of you stayed. Can I ask for the reason?”

“A guest shouldn’t bring bad luck to the owner,” Theodore responded with an answer that was difficult to understand. However, Baek Jongmyung was accustomed to this way of speaking, and he soon realized Theodore’s meaning.

“Hrmm, you have opponents that are that strong?”

“I don’t think Master Baek and the Baek Family should go against them.”

Baek Jongmyung would have hit anyone else who said it, but he smiled at Theodore’s words. When they first met, Baek Jongmyung hadn’t known Theodore’s depths. Now, it would be even harder for Baek Jongmyung to gauge if he could win against Theodore. However, the seldom rude Theodore was currently advising him not to dig into this issue? This was enough to prove that it was dangerous.

Baek Jongmyung nodded with a heavy expression. “Haha… There is a saying in the East about a frog in a well. I am sorry that I can’t return your favor, despite being an expert.”

“It is nothing. Thank you for the help,” Theodore said.

“You’re thanking me? Please don’t be so humble. I owe you a great deal for putting up with my son.”

Baek Jongmyung called to Baek Dongil, who was standing silently behind him. Theodore was curious about why Baek Dongil wasn’t speaking, but he soon figured out why. It was because the boy’s eyes were completely wet, glimmering like the light from a chandelier.

“B-Brother.” Baek Dongil choked up. He turned red like a tomato and coughed a few times before barely managing to face Theodore. “Thank you for listening to my shameless request!”

Then he bowed down with his hands clasped together. Baek Dongil was giving thanks for their relationship, rather than grumbling about the short teaching period or sudden parting.

He had received a foundation of basic knowledge over the past week, but he didn’t completely understand it yet. A period of intense self-learning was necessary when a teacher had to leave. As the loser of a warrior family for many years, it was natural for Baek Dongil to feel regretful. However, Baek Dongil’s pure heart meant he didn’t hesitate to express his sincere gratitude.

It was why Theodore had decided to teach him. Theodore saw his past despairing state in Baek Dongil’s endless efforts, but his mind wasn’t twisted by it.

“Dongil.”

“Yes, Brother.”

“The foundation that I’ve taught so far is a prerequisite for becoming an apprentice magician in the Meltor Kingdom, the most developed kingdom of magic in the continent. A more efficient learning system doesn’t yet exist on this continent.”