Chapter 122

Crossing The Wilderness #2

The number of magicians and scholars who had sought to uncover the cause of the catastrophe far exceeded tens of thousands. It didn’t fall under any theory of meteorology, and even Blundell had returned empty-handed back when he was a 7th Circle magician.

However, Gluttony replied in a casual tone, –You want to know the truth of the drought?

“Yes.”

–I’m sorry, but I can’t answer that question free of charge. If you want to hear it, I will take one of your rights to ask a question.

The reason was enough to require using one of his rights for a question and answer? It might not seem worth it. However, Theodore knew from his experience so far that the information itself was priceless. Even if the information seemed useless at present, it might unravel a knot someday, especially when it was involving something like the drought.

As he nodded without any hesitation, Gluttony opened its mouth and said, -…Hrmm, understood. Then I’ll teach you what I remember.

If this place had been in the middle of the Austen Kingdom, they would’ve cut small ear holes in the wall with a knife in order to listen.

The Seven Sins grimoire, which contained such valuable information, was opening up. Gluttony was someone who recorded the secrets of the Age of Mythology, so he might not know about modern disasters.

However, Gluttony shocked Theo with a single sentence, –The sand dragon, Desertio who lives at the center of the Meuse Desert, is at the epicenter of the drought.

“Dragon?!”

–That’s right.

The strongest species, the dragons, were a transcendent species which remained in this world after the Age of Mythology ended. They were monsters who lived for close to an eternity and looked down on all other species.

Sometimes heroes called dragon slayers would kill them, but there were only a handful of such people in the history books. The dragons were born as the strongest and were a species which spread the power of life.

However, the cause of this drought was a dragon…?

Theo couldn’t understand the response, and Gluttony continued as though it hadn’t finished yet.

–Don’t misunderstand. Desertio might not be causing the drought maliciously. The dragon, who has survived for nearly a million years, is already closer to a spirit than a creature. Therefore, he changes the environment around him.

“Indeed, he is a sand dragon.”

–If Desertio was a red dragon, lava would flow from that area and a volcano would erupt every cycle. In a sense, desertification is still moderate in some ways. In other words, the sand dragon, Desertio, is just living. His lair is in the middle of the desert, and he is just waiting for the end of his life, without any malice toward the humans.

As the dragon is the strongest species in the material world, it will pay back the world’s grace by returning its flesh to nature. Desertio’s huge body will probably transform into grains of sand.

The grimoire ended its explanation here. On the other hand, Theodore’s face distorted subtly. “What? So, the old dragon is waiting to die, and the Austen Kingdom is suffering from the aftermath?”

–Yes.

“That is too extreme!”

Theodore felt his head hurt at the unexpected answer. It wasn’t a monster in the desert aiming for the end of humanity, but an old dragon waiting for his death? Furthermore, the other side had no idea. Humans were just so weak that they couldn’t endure being around him.