Chapter 23

Night In The Nadun Mountain Ranges #1

Not long after the two people joined, the massive procession began to move. The sight of 30 wagons and a few hundred people moving together was really spectacular. Dust rose up from the earth like a cloud, accompanied by the sound of mercenaries marching.

“Then I will be going now. If you need anything, please look for me straight away. I’ll come running immediately.”

“Thanks for your consideration.”

“Haha, no problem. Please relax!”

Gordon maintained the respectful attitude until the end as he bowed and then moved to the front of the procession. He was a model example of a reputable merchant who refrained from extreme flattery. Even though Theo was wary and vigilant against other people, Gordon left a good impression on him.

Vince stroked his seat a few times and nodded.

‘…A good carriage. He is resourceful to be capable of preparing such a carriage in advance. After a few years, Gordon may become a key figure in this company.’

The carriage Gordon offered to the two men was one which would only be arranged for VIP guests.

It hardly shook while travelling on the steep mountain trail, and the blanketed floor gave off a soft warmth. Additionally, the curtains hanging over the elaborately carved windows were able to give some shade. It was just like a travelling inn room.

‘I didn’t think I would be able to see the Nadun Mountain Ranges in this way…’

As they left the academy, Theodore looked out the window with a feeling of excitement.

The people of Meltor Kingdom knew the harshness of the Nadun Mountain Ranges. It was a land where numerous groups of monsters fought. In the deepest parts of the mountains, there were many dangerous things which would cause even famous adventurers to die.

This massive procession was merely passing through the outskirts, never going near the depths.

However, Theo’s interest soon faded.

‘Apart from the thickness of the vegetation, it is just a normal mountain.’

All types of strange creatures grew in the depths. There were no such things in the outskirts where the massive procession was moving.

He lost interest in the procession and watched the spectacular sight of the mercenaries climbing up the mountain for a bit. There was nothing much for Theo to see, so he soon turned his attention to something else again.

“Mitra.”

The girl answered his call like she had been waiting.

[Huing!]

It seemed like she was in a good mood. Mitra loved all the soil around her as she spun round and round! She ran around every corner of the carriage. Theo laughed as he watched her and extended a finger unconsciously.

[Huung.]

Mitra clung to his finger. The moist texture of the soil was unpleasant, but her behaviour was so cute that he left it alone. As his right hand gently stroked her head, she swung herself on his finger. He doubted if this would be helpful like Professor Vince said, but at least he wouldn’t be bored.

Thus, Theodore took the time to play with Mitra while the carriage headed to Mana-vil.

* * *

In the end, the procession didn’t encounter any obstacles and the sky gradually turned dim. The people, who had climbed the steep mountain trail all day, took out pots and dishes to make dinner, pushing away the cool evening breeze with a campfire.