Chapter 18

At The Crossroad Of Trust #2

Having spent five years at Bergen Academy, Theo had realized one thing: he shouldn’t judge people by their light words or temporary actions.

Classmates who pretended to be friends had turned away from him, while the professors treated him like a fool. It would be foolish to trust people like them.

However, Professor Vince was different.

–Are you the long-time dunce? I don’t know what idiot created that nickname.

–The answer to this final exam was excellent. If you don’t mind, come to my laboratory after school. I will teach you a little more.

–Don’t mind those playing tricks on you. You are a better person than anyone at this academy.

-Theodore Miller, do you want to try being a magic scholar?

Theo remembered all of their conversations. They were words which had saved the frustrated, disappointed, and ashamed Theodore.

Vince was the only one who recognized Theo’s value. The academy’s best magician had said that he believed in the talent of the long-time dunce.

His words had created the present Theodore.

‘Professor Vince… the only person in this academy that I trust and can confide in…’

If even Vince wasn’t trustworthy, then he would never been able to tell anyone in the future.

Theodore’s eyes sank as he realized something; he couldn’t live like this forever. Eventually, someone would notice books were missing from the library, and people would raise doubts about Theo’s sudden skills and performance.

In that situation, he was a mere student with neither the power nor the status to preserve his rights. However, it was a different story if he had Professor Vince as his ally.

‘Obviously, I can try to stop that situation from happening… but like this, I can get help. It will also be easier to get the necessary books.’

There was the possibility that he wouldn’t get caught before graduation, or the probability that Professor Vince wouldn’t betray him. Either way, the indefinite future couldn’t be quantified.

The scales in Theodore’s mind were leaning toward the latter.

“Professor, I’d like to show you something, so please don’t be surprised.”

“I’ll try.”

Vince, who was watching him quietly, nodded with a serious expression. It was just for a moment, but the weight of the worries which appeared on Theo’s face was really heavy. After such distress, it was a secret he would tell Vince. So, he needed to be dignified.

Theo took a few deep breaths before placing Roaring Flames, which he was holding in his right hand, onto the table. Then he placed his left hand above it.

“Gluttony, come out.”

As always, it responded faithfully to his call.

Slurp!

A tongue protruded from the open hole in the palm of his hand. Professor Vince jumped, but he didn’t cast a spell thanks to what Theo had said earlier.

As the eyes of the two people met, Gluttony’s tongue wrapped around its prey as usual. Its prey was the pendant, Roaring Flames, which was emitting an intense magic power.

[+7 Roaring Flames (Accessory)]

[As a silver pendant containing a small amount of mithril, it is a high-grade magic stone. This pendant was produced by Viscount Carter, and the way to create it doesn’t exist anymore. The owner can form a contract by dripping blood on the pendant in order to use all the functions. When this pendant is activated, magic power will temporarily increase and affinity to fire magic will also increase.