Aurora Borealis

Gentle cracks, pops and hisses filled the calm, quiet atmosphere. Gentle eyes watching the flames dance with the small breeze that was passing by. The embers that managed to escape their burning prison made haste in dancing up towards the clear night sky. The stars shining brighter accompanied the moon in bringing a refreshing sight to the city eyes of those watching. 

The moon seemed to light up the night sky like it had never before, the silhouettes of the forest danced along the ground everytime the wind picked up before settling back down. The snow on the peaks of the mountains glowed gloriously under the night light of the night sky. 

In the distance maybe a wolf or two, heard calling out to one another. Their long, well-known but only ever a single howls. It sounded neither mournful or joyful but rather wild. It was of single tone, but once one wolf started their beautiful song others joined in. Each with their own distinct voice.

The wind whistled through the ears of those who had their eyes trained on the sky. For they were not looking at the moon or the stars, or the snow on the mountains or even the dark dancing shadows of the forest. No. They were looking up at the aurora borealis. 

The way the green glowed through the sky above them dancing to its own tune as it creates mesmerising patterns and everlasting memories. Hints of blues, purples and reds intertwine with the bright green, an interpretive dance in the night sky that will always have the full attention of those below. 

I watch from the doorframe of the front door as Wanda and the boys cuddle under a couple layers of blanket, all wrapped in hats, scarfs and woolly socks. Their eyes trained on the sky above them, as the boys lean their heads in Wanda's shoulder as she wraps her arms around them. Have I been staring at them instead of the sight above me. Yes, yes I have. But in my mind there is no more beautiful sight than what I see in front of me and not above me. Nothing can compare. 

The night sky may be beautiful and mesmerising but the 3 people cuddling up on the large outdoor couch, well, I am enthralled with the sight. Hypnotised one might say, by their carefree smiles, their wonder filled eyes, their rosey cheeks and all the love they have for one another wrapped up in the blankets with them. 

I mustn't let myself fall back into the haze of the relationship me and Wanda had, well still have but it's different now. We are going to work together to make it work and not get trapped within a bubble of our own creation. I will admit that looking at the sight of the three in front of me, I can see why I got lost in it so easily. It's everything I ever wanted, a woman, children, a family. But I can't rely on them for all my happiness and dreams, so for now I will take this moment and never forget it and maybe one day we can return as a family with a ring to show for it. 

I smile at myself, when I realise I still see my future with the beautiful, goddess of a red-head that I met in a bar and her two very mature young boys. I can plan the future, if I see one and I'm so happy to be able to envision it all in just this moment. 

I smile wider when Wanda turns her head to the right, an animated smile on her face as she waves me over. Already wearing my winter clothes, I walk on the cold ground that's already hardening with frost, crunching beneath my feet as I make my way over. The boys take a quick glance towards where the noise is coming from, smiling when they see me and not second later look back up to the sky. I move to stand behind the couch, my arms lazily resting over Wanda's shoulder as she brings my hands into hers holding them against her chest. Tommy sits forward more, taking his head off Wanda's shoulder as he puts his hands out towards the fire to keep them warm.

I lean my body down so I am matching Wanda's height, resting my chin on her shoulder as she leans her face against mine. Her cold cheeks send a small shiver through my body as she pulls my arms tighter around her, obviously enjoying the extra warmth. I press my lips against her cheek then nuzzle my face into the crook of her neck as my hot breath fans out across it. Wanda's thumbs start to rub circles on my knuckles as one of her fingers traces the ring on my finger.