Chapter 16

Adrienne 

Opening the front door of our house, I heard my mother's voice coming from the living room. It sounded like she was on the phone, and that conversation must be very important because not a single soul heard me walk in. 

"Merry Christmas!" I ran into the arms of my mother. She held a surprised expression, before wrapping her arms around me. 

"What are you doing here?" she asked, her voice was a bit cracked.

"I'm here to spend Christmas with my family"

A small tear fell from her right eye. "I really thought a repeat of last year was going to happen"

I wipe her face gently. "Not this time"

"Do I hear Adrienne's voice?" Drea walked down the steps. As her eyes met mine, she immediately came over giving me a hug. "Merry Christmas" 

"Merry Christmas Dre" I smiled, before letting each other go.

"I thought you weren't coming this year"

"I'm not missing another family Christmas" 

"Thank you Lord" she waved her hand up high. 

"Well Adrienne, go upstairs and freshen up. Food is ready too" my mom said, looking over at us. I nodded my head. "Thank you" and began heading towards the spiral staircase. 

"Oh wait my phone" I turned back around, and grabbed my LV duffel bag that had my phone placed inside. Drea raised her eyebrow at me, as if she wanted to say something but decided best to be quiet. 

*

"Merry Christmas Adrienne"

"Aw, thank you. Merry Christmas to you also" I smiled, falling back on the bed. 

"So what you up to?" Kyrie's voice spoke through.

"Just landed in Durham about two hours ago, feeling exhausted"

"Yeah, I'm exhausted too and we play Miami tonight" I heard him yawn. 

"What time is the game?" I asked. 

"Like around eight-thirty" he answered. "Ugh, we really need to win this game", Kyrie sighed deeply. I knew the Cavaliers were fighting to stay in playoff position, so winning tonight would mean a lot to him.

I licked my lips. "I know you guys will. Trust me I have faith in you kid"

He chuckled lowly. "Thanks"

"You welcome" I yawned softly, while my eyes were becoming droopy.

I heard Kyrie begin to talk about a few more things, as I positioned myself appropriately on the bed. As much as I fought to stay awake, it did not work at all and before I knew it I was gone. 

**

"Adrienne wake up" 

I felt myself being tapped, as I sluggishly opened my eyes. Leaning up a bit to see Drea hovered over the bed.'

"About time" she began to talk. "You've been asleep for at least four hours now"

"What time is it?" 

She looked down at her Michael Kors watch. "Almost six-thirty"

"Are you serious?" I jumped up, and ran into the bathroom to make myself look a bit decent. I redid my make up and played with my hair a little. Walking out to see Drea still in the same spot she was before.

"Come downstairs, everyone is here" she walked out the room.

I seen my phone was on the pillow, I reached for it and seen a preview message from Kyrie which I immediately went too.

Ky🏀: I'm sure you fell asleep lol. Call me when you get a chance though

How embarassing Adrienne. Falling asleep on the phone is so humilating, I can't even believe how embarrased I am. Clicking the call button, placing the phone on my ear waiting for Kyrie to answer. After ringing, he didn't answer so I assumed he must be getting ready for tonight's game.

Walking down the staircase, the smell of food was hitting my nose and I was hearing different voices all over the house.

"That's what I said" I heard Chanel's high pitched voice.

"Merry Christmas everyone" I smiled, looking around at my family members who all seemed pleased to meet me.

"Merry Christmas beautiful" my aunt Charlotte gave me a warming hug.

"Aunty you look younger everyday" I smiled at her.

She waved me off. "I hope you didn't think I was old"

I laughed, shaking my head. "No, you look younger than me"

"Thank you baby" she laughed.

"Adrienne, come get something to eat" my mom called me over to the kitchen. "You haven't had anything to eat since you came back"

"Thank you" I grabbed a plate from the table. 

"Look who finally woke up" Chanel pranced her way over to me.

"When did you get here?"

"Two hours ago" 

I nodded my head, placing some mac and cheese on my plate. "You're didn't want to spend Christmas with Damian?"

She shook her head. "He has a game tomorrow, and plus I like when I'm around everyone here"

"That's understandable. Are you okay though?"

I knew Christmas time was always kind of emotional for Chanel because when she was eleven, my aunt which is her mom died on Christmas Eve from breast cancer. Her dad ended up raising her and her brother up by himself. 

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be. After all it's been eleven years since she's been gone"

"Just making sure" 

"Question is are you okay?" she placed her hand on my shoulder.

"I'm always okay Chanel"

"Well, you know it's been a year now without AJ and then your dad"

"I'm fine Chanel" my voice was a bit harsh. "I'm sorry, but I'm fine"

"Okay" she smiled, before walking away. 

For some odd reason I completely lost my appetite, not wanting to eat again. This was the second Christmas without my younger brother and it's now been sixteen years since my dad passed. Two of the most important men in my life were gone, and at this moment it felt like a part of me was gone as well.

I coughed a bit, to avoid myself from becoming teary eyed and looked over at my mom who was laughing with my aunt. My mom is one of the most strongest females ever. She is such a hardworking individual and I think that's where I got my personality from. Without her I wouldn't be who I am today, and I can't even describe how much I love her. 

I looked up at the ceiling smiling. "Merry Christmas Dad. Merry Christmas AJ"