Chapter 18

Adrienne

Leaving North Carolina three days ago, my first stop for business was New York. Mainly for photo shoots and studio time.

"So when do you plan on landing in California?"

"I'm not even sure when I'll be done here. I just now left the studio"

I heard Chanel sigh through the phone. "Well I don't think I'll be spending New Years with Damian, so it would be nice if you could visit Cali"

"I'm gonna talk to Liam and see if he can cut down my schedule"

"Thank you Adrienne"

"No problem Chanel" I said, just as an incoming call was coming through. "Chanel let me call you back, someone is calling"

"Alright" she hung up, as I clicked over answering Kyrie's call.

"Hello"

"Hey, you still in New York?" his voice became clear.

"Ugh, sadly I am"

Kyrie chuckled. "What'chu doing for New Years though?"

"Well I'm trying to fly down to California if I finish up over here"

"Oh well I am gonna be in LA in two days for the launch of my signature shoe"

"Aww, I'm so proud of you"

For a while Kyrie's been telling me about his signature shoe that he's been working on with Nike and he would soon be releasing it this month. I was really happy for him.

"Yeah. I'm really, really excited"

"You should be. I'm even excited for you."

I was honestly excited for him, because just the time that I've known Kyrie he's shown how much of a dedicated, hard working individual he is and that's amazing in my eyes.

Three Days Later

"I have finally arrived" I adjusted my Jimmy Choo sunglasses, as the warm Los Angeles weather met my skin. Kyle gently helped me off the private jet and security guided me towards the black SUV's.

"Would you like to go to your home?" Kyle asked as he closed my door and entered the other side of the car.

"Are they done furnishing the place?" I questioned pulling my phone out the side of my Michael Kors handbag.

About five months ago I bought a new home right in Beverly Hills mainly because my recent home wasn't suitable enough for me anymore.

I haven't exactly been able to move in just yet because I've been so occupied and I've hired a lot of people to take care of the place.

"I spoke to the designer a a few days ago and they should be done soon"

"Well how fast is soon? Because my goal right now is to move in before ending of January"

"I'll call the contractor again" he began typing on his Blackberry.

"You do that" I mumbled and gave my attention to the window. If this home is not completely furnished by the ending of January I'm not going to be the most happiest person.

Kyrie

Today was finally the release of my signature shoe with Nike, and I was extremely proud of myself and excited beyond words. Having this type of opportunity was once in a lifetime thing, it feels like a dream come true.

Earlier I was given the chance to sit down with Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith, and Penny Hardaway. It was great that my dad and older sister could come out to support me and even my teammates Bron and Tristian even flew out.

"Hey what's going on everyone. Matt Dollinger here for SI dot com, here with Cavaliers star and Nike's latest signature athlete Kyrie Irving. Kyrie thanks for joining us" Matt placed the microphone in front of me.

"Thanks for having me"

"You know it seems like a lot more to you. We just saw you got done talking about your latest shoe which is lot more than an endorsement. What does this mean to you and kind of the grand scheme of your career?"

"Uh, it's kind of just another stepping stone that I'm truly proud of. You know I have a great company that supports me, you know and a lot of great guys part of a great lineage of guys who have come before me and I'm just grateful to be apart of it"

"Yeah, it's an amazingly exclusive club. You're the twentieth athlete ever to be of Nike basketball signature athlete" he placed the mic back at his level. "One of those guys is your teammate LeBron James. Did he give you any, you know input along the way on what's it gonna be like or how to design a shoe?"

"Uh no not necessarily. I think he just shown it" I paused shaking my head lightly. "Um, he's definitely laid out the steps on how you wanna be as a signature athlete as well as Kobe Bryant and KD, and you know there's so many successful things they've done for the brand and for their own brand and it's just great that I could be with those guys"

I answered a few more questions and even took a couple pictures too. The amount of excitement I had today, just couldn't be described.

My phone vibrated in the pockets of my sweats, which caused me to reach into them and grab the silver iPhone 6 out. Once I unlocked it I had a variety of text messages, e-mails, and other notifications. I had even seen that Adrienne had sent me a text from earlier today.

Adrienne 😍😊: Congrats on the shoe. Very proud of you kiddo 👏

I smiled and texted her back.

Me: Thank you so much.

I figured she must have been busy as usual, so I wasn't expecting her to text me back right away.

"Kyrie I am very proud of you" my dad's voice caught my attention.

I smiled looking up at him. "Thank you"

"You worked really hard and I'm proud to see the man you are becoming"

"Appreciate it dad, that really means a lot"

I loved when my dad was proud of my accomplishments because it made me happy to see how much of a joy it brought to him. It wasn't easy for him raising me and my sister on his own after the death of my mother, but I just want to continue to make him proud to have me as his son.