Chapter 52

Adrienne

The whole plane ride from Oakland back to Ohio was filled with silence. I was still a bit shaken up and personally didn't know how to respond to Kyrie getting surgery tomorrow.

I had asked Kyle and Jessica to cancel any thing upcoming, because it would kill me if I had left Kyrie during a time when he probably needed me the most. Azeena stuck around as well, but I think it was for support and to spend a bit more time with Josh.

***

"You might need some of this, you ain't slept all day"

I looked up smiling, "Thank you sir"

Kyrie was admitted into surgery about an hour ago, and a couple of us sat around in the lobby waiting for the operation to be completed. Dred handed me a cup of coffee, before taking a seat himself.

"So what exactly happened to your ankle? If I may ask" Dred sat in the next available chair. "Ky, had told me you were on crutches"

I looked down at my cast. "Yeah, I was. I just recently got off two days ago and when I was coming off the jet, I took a wrong step and fell on it kind of hard"

"Ugh, that's got to hurt"

"Yeah it hurt a lot the first two days and then the pain later subdued, and I didn't really need the crutches anymore"

Dred and I continued talking; and I found myself respecting him a lot. He told me about how it was for him losing his wife and raising his children as a single father. Learning more about him, I could see where Kyrie picked up his personality and dedication from.

I was reading a text message from my sister, when I noticed everyone stand up. I looked up and seen one of the doctors standing before us.

Dred was the first to speak. "How is everything?"

He smiled, "It was a successful surgery. The anesthesia medicine should be wearing off, if you would like to go see him"

I stood up and walked down the hall, and turned a corner following closely behind Dred. The room they had Kyrie in was the last one down the hall and slowly as I walked, we came to room B95.

"Let me get the door"

I nodded, as Dred pushed the door open. We walked in further and saw Kyrie lying down, with his eyes half closed. He looked like he was exhausted and his face was kind of a bit swollen.

"How you feeling son?"

He mumbled something that no one could understand and I figured it was most likely the medicine they had given him was causing him to act like that.

"Hey kid" I gently grabbed his hand, and rubbed the back of it softly.

I watched as he fought to fully open his eyes but looked drowsier by the minute. It was very evident how tired he was and I just sat down on one of the chairs and entertained myself with my iPad.

Two hours later, a couple doctors came in and moved Kyrie up to the top floor in a different room. Zizi and Josh arrived and the room was completely filled with balloons, cards, and edible arrangements.