The Kindest Soul That Ever Lived

Wei Wuxian wasn't prepared for what he saw when he entered the room. He actually stumbled a little and had to be caught by Jiang Cheng when he saw the state Yanli was in. He knew that this pregnancy was rough on her and even when Jin Zixuan had told him to prepare himself, he didn't expect it to be this bad.

Yanli sat in a chair next to the window of the master bedroom. Her face was sunken, thin like the rest of her body. Her skin was pale and waxy and she had dark circles under her eyes. Still she had this serene look on her face as she rubbed her pregnant belly and stared out the window. Her husband sat next to her on the bed, watching her with knitted brows of worry. When the three people entered the room Jin Zixuan looked up, but Yanli made no movement.

"Yanli, Wei Wuxian and Wen Qing are here." Jin Zixuan said in a low voice as he gently grabbed the frail woman's hand. She looked around at his words with a worm smile on her face, but her eyes were unfocused and Wei Ying knew that she couldn't see him clearly.

"A-Xian?" She called in her sweet voice, eyes finally resting on a spot just above Wei Wuxian's shoulder. He sucked in a breath and took a few steps forward.

"Hey, shijie." Wei Wuxian said softly. Her smile brightened when she heard his voice. "I heard you weren't feeling too good, so I brought Wen Qing to take a look at you, okay?" She nodded still smiling and Wei Ying motioned for Wen Qing to come over. The woman standing in the doorway made her way over and cupped her hands in a bow.

"Sect leader Jin, Madam Jiang, I will begin my examination now so if you please." When Qing said. Jin Zixuan nodded, kissed Yanli on the cheek and then lead both Wei Ying and Jiang Cheng out of the room. Once the door was closed Wei Ying rounded on the man.

"You said she was sick! Not dying!" He spat so that the people in the room wouldn't hear him.

"She didn't want me to worry you both." Jin Zixuan said in a stressed voice.

"Who cares! If you had just said she was this bad, I would've made it hear sooner, instead of taking care of a stupid haunting!" Wei Ying almost yelled.

"I have to agree. When I heard she was sick I thought she just needed some time to rest, I didn't expect... this! I mean... Can she even see?" Jiang Cheng look nauseous as he looked at Jin Zixuan for an answer.

"I don't know... She won't tell me. She keeps saying she's fine and that I shouldn't worry but I can't not worry! A few weeks ago she was fine and now! Some nights I just sit there watching her to make sure she keeps breathing! And then she wouldn't let me contact either of you until last week... I just... I don't know what to do!" He ran a hand over his mouth and Wei Ying could suddenly see the stress lines and dark bags under his eyes. Jiang Chang went to say something but Jin Zixuan beat him too it. Looking the two other men straight in the eyes with a desperate look. "I can't lose her..."

Just the the door to the room opened and Wen Qing joined them with an unreadable expression on her face.

"Well?" Wei Ying asked.

The woman just shook her head. "There's nothing I can do. At this rate she won't even be able to make it to full term, and the baby is hardly moving, which means it definitely isn't strong enough for me to induce her now, but if the baby stays in then it will slowly kill her and she refuses to exterminate the pregnancy. There really is nothing I can do except give her medication and prey that somehow they both make it through. But like I said, I highly doubt she'll be able to make it that far and even if the pregnancy is exterminated there's still the fact that her body is so malnourished that it probably won't be able to repair itself afterwards." She stopped speaking after seeing the faces of the three men in front of her.

They reflected her own feelings about the situation. Wen Qing had befriended Jiang Yanli awhile ago and thought she was the sweetest person she had ever met. Knowing that the chances of Yanli alone making out of this pregnancy weren't high made her want to scream at the world for its cruelty. She could only imagine how Yanli's own family were feeling.

"If the pregnancy is exterminated does she have a higher chance of living?" Wei Ying suddenly asked.

"Yes, but she won't-"

"Then I'll make her." Wei Ying said and the pushed past Wen Qing to go back into the bedroom.

It was silent for a few minutes. Wen Qing and the two other men exchanged looks as they tried to listen to whatever Wei Ying was saying behind the door. When suddenly a loud shout rang out.

"SHIJIE!"

"Wei Ying, I appreciate your concern but I'm not killing my child if it means I get to live! If I do I will hate myself for the rest of my life!" Jiang Yanli's voice rang out clear and loud. It made everyone's stomachs turn as she was always soft spoken and if felt unnatural for her to be angry, especially at Wei Wuxian.

"What about Jin Ling!? What about your current son!? And your husband!? What will they do if you die!?"

"Do not try and make me feel guilty about this Wei Wuxian, this is my decision and I will not kill my child!"

"SHIJIE-"

"NO!"

The three people standing outside the door flinched of Jiang Yanli finally shouting. Jiang Cheng even started towards the door only to freeze at his sister's next words.

"I think you and Wen Qing should leave." Yanli said in a quieter but firm voice. It was silent for a few seconds before the door burst open and Wei Wuxian walked out, waves of resentful energy coming off of him. He then grabbed Wen Qing by the wrist somewhat gently despite him being very clearly pissed. Before the two of them left, Wei Ying turned to look at the two other men.

"One of you needs to talk some sense into her, or she's gonna end up dead by the end of this month."

The two other men nodded silently and with that Wei Ying and Wen Qing left.

1 month and 10 days later

Both Jiang Yanli and her unborn child were dead. Leaving behind a broken husband and motherless son. Hundreds of people who had been impacted by Jiang Yanli attended her funeral and all watched the fallout between Wei Wuxian, Jiang Cheng and Jin Zixuan. It was a truly heart breaking event and many wondered how this would effect the future of many cultivating clans.