Xiao-Gege (Pt.3)

Their feet tapped on the solid ground. Their breaths filled their ears. His chains chinked against his feet. The voices sang the tune.

It was eerie running around Lanling, with a thick black cloud of fog over their heads. Barely any sound heard over the lulling tune of the song around them. For those weak of mind, it was the stuff of nightmares. But for them, it was something they were used to.

Why be afraid of demonic power when you yourself wield it?

"It's a bit further. The third turning to your left." Xuanyu shouted to Wen Ning, who was leading them as they ran. His long hair flailing out behind him.

"Thank fuck one of us knows the way!" A-Qing called. Her swift feet taking her at a faster pace than the two older boys who were lagging behind slightly.

The fog was thick where they were, obstructing their visibility outside of a five meter radius. It Seeped into their bodies with each breath they sucked in. And if anyone one else was on the street with them they would never know.

Wen Ning turned left, the others followed, dashing footsteps and lulling tune being the only sound, when suddenly a shrill yell bounced off of the buildings around them. The sheen of swords danced past blindingly. Grunts of battle sounded from nearby. Without realising they had run straight into a battle ground.

"Get down!" Wen Ning yelled to his disciples. All of which threw their bodies down on the ground immediately.

Sword-light flickered in the corner of their eyes. A-Qing felt a foreign foot come dangerously close to stepping on her. Xuanyu had to grab Xue Yang by the waist to pull him away from a puppet's bared teeth. Only Wen Ning wasn't the clear. His lack of a heartbeat and body heat making him undetectable to the puppets blinded by the dark.

"Go!" A-Qing's voice rang out over a clang of metal, the sound far more distant than it had been moments before.
"Go to the doctor! Don't worry about us!"

"Where are the boys!?" He wasn't willing, not until he heard the others say themselves that they would be okay.

"Alive!" Xue Yang yelled, then screamed as a puppet disciple slashed his arm. Suddenly there was a slash of red light, a loud wack and then a thump, followed by the sound of Xuanyu.

"What's with these cultivators and trying to kill my boyfriend?" He mumbled.

"They're jealous I landed the hottest babe they've ever seen." Xue Yang quipped through gritted teeth.

"Seriously? Do you ever stop being gross?" A-Qing wined.

Wen Ning felt the corners of his stiff lips twitch. At least they seemed to be okay and he knew they were more than capable of handling themselves. If it came down to it, they knew to run and none of them were stupid at all. As long as they remembered their training, he would have time to run to Wen Qing and come back with them all still intact... Hopefully.

"Don't do anything stupid you three! Just hold out until I get back!" Wen Ning yelled, dodging a sword then stealing a glance back to try and see the others.

"No problem Ning-ge!" Xue Yang called in reply.

"A-Yu is in charge!" Wen Ning added, finally taking off in a sprint, heading in the rough direction of the infirmary.

"Can't I be in charge just once!? He gets to be sect leader!" Xue Yang wailed and A-Qing let out an unmistakable snort.

"Shut up and nurse your wound if you're not going to fight." Xuanyu grumbled, deflecting yet another puppet going after Xue Yang.

Wen Ning was already gone, the distant rattling of his chains being the only reminder he was ever there at all. Now it was just the three of them, left in thick black fog with things jumping out at them every few seconds. In the darkness of it all, they were unable to tell whether those thing were friend or foe. In that moment all they could rely on was the trust they'd built in each other. The understanding built on years of training together. How they'd memorised, each other's breaths, footsteps and aura. This was a blinded fight, where they purely relied on instinct.

"No more messing around." Xuanyu said, pressing his back into Xue Yang's, his sword held ready for any incoming threats.
"Don't aim to kill, but don't get yourselves killed. We're here to get the doctor and then we find A-Yuan and Shifu, no distractions."

"Understood." A-Qing breathed, making both boys stiffen slightly because they hadn't realised she was so close.

"No distractions." Xue Yang agreed.

It was then, in the black fog cast over the once golden buildings, expensive decorations and smooth paths; In the middle of a battle that cast glowing light of swords and bodies aside did a corner cloaked in darkness loom deeper. Waves rose from it, whipping like wind. For a brief few seconds the battle in the shadows paused. And in that corner, three blades began to shine...

Blood red...

As three figures stepped out, the resentment followed them. Making the black fog seem light compared to the pure evil that had just appeared.

---------

Shortish one because it was written on a plane. Its been awhile because my overall story plan for this was too long, so I had to rework some things. I think I'm back on track now though so I hope you enjoyed!

(Also any major spelling or grammar mistakes will be changed in about a week when I get back home because my phone's autocorrect is bullshit.)