Mixed Signals (Pt.8)

It took them two weeks to fully recover thanks to Wen Qing's medicine. Despite them being fully healed Wen Qing still told the two boys to take it easy but of course neither Xue Yang nor Xuanyu listened to her. 

The minute he felt physically strong enough to, Xue Yang started training for several hours a day. He never explained why to anyone, but he knew it was because he wanted to be able to protect Xuanyu if a situation like that ever came up again. It was also a distraction for him because he had been having nightmares about holding Xuanyu while the boy was dying. They were so bad that Xue Yang struggled going back to sleep and would often just lay in bed until the sun came up. 

It didn't help that Xuanyu was also avoiding him now and had been since they returned to Yiling. He had been spending every night in the clinic with Wen Qing and wouldn't come home until hours after everyone had gone to bed. Xue Yang tried to talk to him several times because something he had said was plaguing him, but Xuanyu would say he had forgotten something and run away. 

It was exhausting for both of them and Xue Yang didn't know what to do. The whole event kept playing over and over in his mind, especially what A-Qing had said about him to Xiao Xingchen. With a sigh Xue Yang lowered his sword that he was pointing at a straw dummy and headed to the blood pool to clear his head.

He just needed to talk to him. He needed to know he was okay. He needed to see him...

Xue Yang dragged his feet the whole way to the blood pool and slumped down against a bolder the minute the gentle breeze from the open cave touched his face. Closing his eyes he let the gentle whispers sooth him. He didn't know how long he was sitting there, but after awhile something made him open his eyes. 

A few feet from him stood Xuanyu. His eyes widened when Xue Yang looked at him and he turned to leave but Xue Yang wasn't to let him get away this time.  

"Xuanyu!" He called and the other boy picked up speed.

"I left me sword at the clinic!" He said in a hurried voice.

"I can literally see you holding it! Why are you avoiding me!?"

"I'm not!"

He was almost out of the cave as Xue Yang felt a wave of annoyance come over him. He lunged forward quickly and grabbed his wrist. One of the advantages of endless training was that he was faster now.

Without thinking much about what he was doing Xue Yang pushed Xuanyu against the wall to stop him from escaping and the shorter boy let out a tiny squeal that made the corners of Xue Yang's lips twitch. 

"We're gonna talk." Xue Yang stated. Xuanyu blinked slightly and looked down at the floor with a glum expression. This annoyed Xue Yang and he took one of his hands off the wall to grab his chin and make him look at him. "What's wrong with you?" He asked and suddenly Xuanyu's eyes went fierce.

"What's wrong with you!?" He yelled and Xue Yang took his hand away in surprise. "Why do you want to know so bad!? It's not like you'd care anyway! You don't even know what you're doing!"

Xue Yang blinked down at him feeling confused. Xuanyu's eyes were sparkling with anger and Xue Yang didn't like it. He softened his expression and lowered his voice so as not to set Xuanyu off more.

"What did I do?" He asked and Xuanyu scoffed which was expected.

"You have no respect for people's feelings. You can't take things seriously and you fuck with people's heads!" Xuanyu listed. Xue Yang stared at him for a second before something popped into the back of his mind.

"Is this about Xiao Xingchen? because I was joking and anyway he's married! What's this got to do with your mood!?" Xue Yang exclaimed.

"He was married!? See this is what you do! You have no respect for feelings and continued to flirt with him anyway!"