A Distant Friend (Pt.2)

"Oh my... So, A-Yuan won't-"

"No he won't." Wen Ning nodded dully.

He had just explained the past few months events to Qingyang. All of it. From the first trip to Lanling all the way up until the events on the Hanging Tree Night Hunt. It was hard for him to relive it. It was hard for Qingyang to hear it. But even so, she needed to know. The clan loved her like she was one of them, even if they didn't see each other for long periods of time.

"I'm sure Wen Qing is working tirelessly then." Qingyang said after a moment. "You are making sure she's taking regular breaks, right? That woman would forget to sleep if it meant she could work on finding a cure."

Wen Ning let a smile slip onto his face at the concern in the woman's voice. It was funny really. He'd forgotten how well Qingyang knew them all. How she knew exactly what they would do in each situation. He was reminded of the brief period when she had stayed at Yiling while pregnant. She'd taken to mothering them all almost instantly. Including his very stubborn older sister.

"Yes, I'm making sure she's taking breaks." Wen Ning said. Qingyang's face softened.

"Good." She sighed, then paused to look around. Taking note of A-Min splashing around in a small river just up ahead.

This place was nice. It was well shaded so Wen Ning didn't have to worry about sun burn and A-Min seemed happy enough playing in the water. With a smile on her face Qingyang reached into her newly packed basket and pulled out a big cloth. Carefully laying it out on the ground so that it was flat and then sitting down. Wen Ning followed. Crossing his legs comfortably as he watched the woman unload her food.

"So how's Wei Ying taking the whole thing?" She asked after a minute.

"He's stressed... This wasn't what any of us had planned when we decided to re-join the cultivation community." Wen Ning answered, taking his eyes away from the river to look at what the woman was doing.

"I don't doubt that... Seriously, a second blood pool? How did no one notice that before?"

"Your guess is as good as everyone else's. I'm just grateful we don't have to go through this alone." Wen Ning said making Qingyang nod.

"Indeed. It's good Jiang Cheng and Wei Ying finally made up. They're far stronger when they're together. I suppose it's also a good thing that the Lans invited A-Yuan to join them at Gusu with the other young cultivators. At least they're trying I suppose." She said and it was Wen Ning's turn to nod.

Silence fell after that as high pitched giggles filled their ears. They both looked over to see A-Min, now knee deep in the water, taking handfuls of the liquid and throwing it into the air. Pausing with eyes wide, as for those brief moments where the water hung in the sky and the light reflected through them, a rainbow shone. She giggled madly as the water finally came back down and soaked her. Her innocent smile missing more than a few of her teeth.

"It's funny to me," Qingyang said quietly, but load enough for the corpse man to hear. "How differently she sees life to us. There's no hidden pain in her eyes. Her smile is never forced. It makes me wonder if I was ever like that."

"She's only like that because she has wonderful parents, who've never given her a reason to hate a day in her life." Said Wen Ning, his eyes still watching the water fly into the air.

"My only wish is that it stays that way for her." Qingyang smiled. "I hope she always stays this happy."

---<~>---

The sun was starting to go down as they walked back to the house. Wen Ning was carrying A-Min on his shoulders, her robes now dry from where the girl had fallen asleep in the sun. She was chattering happily, telling them all about the bugs and fish she saw. It was all Wen Ning could do to make sure she didn't fall off as her little arms flew around to go with what she was saying.

Qingyang chuckled softly at the desperate look on his face as he tried to re-secure A-Min. The girl having just stuck her arms out and leaned back a little while still blabbering and giggling.

Wen Ning looked at the woman. At her hair, at her smile. Her robes looking so elegant in the dimming light of the sun. That feeling in his stomach came back, like it did every time he was with her. Butterflies... A smile pulled at his lips. They continued walking.

Once at the house, Wen Ning lowered A-Min down and waited for her to run inside before turning to Qingyang, who seemed to already know what he was going to say.

"You're leaving now, aren't you?" She asked, mild disappointment his her tone.

"I can't leave jiejie alone any longer." He said still smiling.

"When will you be back?" Her eyes bore into his, yet that smile didn't leave his face.

"Sometime... But I will be back." He said reaching up to touch her shoulder.

"Don't leave it so long next time. And you tell Wei Ying that too. I miss you all. I want A-min to see you more." Her tone was gentle yet her eyes were hard. 

Wen Ning nodded then carefully pulled the woman into his embrace. She sighed, placing her chin on his shoulder and wrapping her arms around him. Nothing romantic. It was just a hug.

"Stay safe A-Ning. Don't go getting into too much trouble." She whispered and Wen Ning just hummed in response. Then, they pulled away. He took a step back, smiled one last time and shared two last words.

"Goodbye Mianmian."

"See you, Wen Ning."

And with that he walked away. Smile falling and a sigh escaping him. 

In another life, maybe this would be a different story. One where he wasn't dead. One where she felt the same way. One where happiness favoured him. 

Those feelings weren't as strong anymore, because he knew it was impossible. He loved her, but not in the same way she loved him. He was a brother to her and she was so much more to him. Who would love a corpse? He was lucky she even saw him as a person. At least she was still there, still in his life. At least she was happy... and there was A-Min too.

If things had worked out different, then that little girl who was so full of hope and kindness wouldn't exist. And Wen Ning wasn't ready to live in a world like that.

The love he had once felt, was fading... But that was a good thing. At least now he could watch them live without feeling pain. At least now he could be happy for them and he could be happy himself.

He'd be the best uncle A-Min would ever know. He'd love her as much as he loved A-Yuan.

Wei Ying could only wish to be as cool of an uncle as him!

-End of A Distant Friend-