Mixed Signals (Pt.6)

Everything went dark again and within seconds he could see.

He watched as the beefy corpse he had been possessing seconds before was torn apart by the four legged demon and felt the dull ache in his head when it mangled limbs fell the the floor.

"That was close." He mumbled to himself, but it came out in a choked sort of way due to the fact that he was in another corpse body. Something moving next to him froze and he looked over confused.

Song Lan gazed at him with an expression of pure confusion and terror, Xue Yang couldn't stop himself from laughing. Song Lan was so genuinely horrified that a corpse was talking and laughing that he didn't blink. Xue Yang couldn't bring himself to stop laughing long enough to explain that it was him. Thankfully Xuanyu turned up after taking a break from playing his flute and recognised the situation instantly.

"So you weren't killed when that demon attacked you. Thank god, I was worried you didn't have time to switch out." He said and Xue Yang smiled as much as the stiff corpse face would let him. Song Lan stared from Xuanyu to Xue Yang for a few seconds before it seemed to click and he nodded in understanding.

"You can switch between corpses?" He asked and Xue Yang nodded. He didn't have time to go into detail about how this power worked and Song Lan didn't question him further.

Together to two of them ran over to where Xiao Xingchen was fighting two demons with a group of Xue Yang's corpses and helped him out. Xue Yang grabbed one by the back of its neck and sent if soring through the air until it collided with the side of building. He lunged at it as it tried top get up, but before he could reach it, he felt a sharp pain in his arm and he was yanked backwards with an awful crunching sound. A harsh roar came out of his corpse throat and in the distance he heard his actual body scream in pain as well.

Air escaped his lungs as he was thrown to the floor and before he could regain himself, something slammed into his chest and he felt his ribs crack. Another scream echoed and for a second time Xue Yang's consciousness snapped back to his body for a second. He scrambled to get away, but the four legged demon had him in tight clutches and wasn't about to let him slip away.

Despite the pain he was in, Xue Yang steadied his mind just enough for him to slip into the body of another corpse. As he was sucked backwards, Xue Yang noticed that it wasn't as strong as before and just before everything went dark another wave of pain enveloped him. 

When he opened his eyes he was screaming again and his corpse body stumbled. He didn't have enough time to collect himself because suddenly something barged him and he flew backwards. His consciousness slipped again and his human body was shaking. When he came back to the corpse body he was face to face with the demon he had thrown into the building. 

It snarled at him angrily and Xue Yang just rolled his eyes. This corpse body wasn't as powerful as the other two, but with just a little more resentment it would be fine. The corpse threw its body at him as Xue Yang conjured some of his other corpses to come and help him. Just before the creature landed on top of him, it froze was forced backwards. 

Attached to its tail was a tiny corpse who slammed the demon against the floor like it was a toy. Xue Yang stared at the scene for a few seconds because this corpse wasn't one of the ones he summoned. At that moment Xuanyu came running over looking concerned.

"I found you!" He yelled when he saw Xue Yang's corpse body just standing there. "I think you should go back to your body now. If you keep switching out I'm worried you'll do more damage to your body than you think." He explained, but Xue Yang just shook his head.

"The four legged one is still going." He croaked out and Xuanyu paused. 

It wasn't hard to tell that the four legged one was the leader and had a particular taste for violence. it would be difficult to kill as well, because it was intelligent. It could pick out Xue Yang after he switched bodies and was clearly holding a grudge.

"I don't want you dying because you're being careless." Xuanyu finally said and Xue Yang felt his heart in his human body skip a beat.

he thought about what A-Qing had said earlier. That didn't mean he was in love with Xuanyu, did it? The way his heart skipped when he did or said things that showed he cared about Xue Yang? He shook his head to clear his thoughts and Xuanyu rushed over looking concerned.

"This is what I'm talking about! You're taking to much damage for it to be safe for you to return to your body. You need to stop now!" 

"That's not it..." Xue Yang mumbled. He was about to go into more detail when a sudden shout rang out from behind Xuanyu and he looked up.

The world moved in slow motion as he watched.

in the distance Xiao Xingchen was running at them. His hand outstretched and face full of pure terror as the words left his lips too late...

Song Lan was falling near him. His face was screwed up in pain as what appeared to be a fang stuck out from his leg, but that wasn't what the white clad man was yelling at.

No... That was far worse...

It happened in a flash. Xuanyu hadn't even turned around yet and Xue Yang didn't have time to force him out of the way.

The four legged demon glided through the air in their direction. It's teeth bared in what Xue Yang could only explain as a grin. Its long scaly tail twirled around its body. The sword like point shining in the light of noon.

Xue Yang couldn't do anything... He could only watch in absolute horror...

The monster's tail was what connected first. Xuanyu's eyes widened in shock as the sharp point pierced through his abdomen, spraying Xue Yang's corpse body in crimson blood. The demon then landed directly on top of Xue Yang's corpse body and sunk its teeth into his skull.

Everything seemed to go back to normal speed as Xue Yang stared at the inside of the demon's mouth and both Xiao Xingchen and Song Lan yelled in desperation.

This was it...

This was the end...

Everything went dark...