Xiao-Gege (Pt.1)

Lan Zhan was on his feet in an instant. Fixing his robes as he made his way over to the door that Wei Ying had just opened fully. Zixuan's face had hardened, all signs of embarrassment lost even as the two men in front of him re-dressed themselves.

"What do you think this is? Some kind of stunt from the other clans?" He asked as Wei Ying strode past him and out of the room.

"See that fog settling?" Wei Ying pointed at a dark mist that was starting to settle over the buildings of Lanling and Carp Tower. Zixuan blinked, having only just realised it was there.
"That means this isn't a stunt."

"You're saying-" Zixuan couldn't even bring himself to say it out loud, but his eyes were fixed on Wei Ying's back at the black clad man reached up to bang on a door.

"I'm saying the song just became reality. Some fucker has just summoned an evil spirit thats going to start turning us all into puppets." Wei Ying answered anyway. Knowing exactly what Zixuan meant.

He slammed his fist against the door in front of him. Not stopping until a particularly grumpy Jiang Cheng answered, looking ready to kill. The younger man went to say something, but before he could Wei Ying slammed a hand over his mouth and shook his head.

"Shut up and listen." He said, not taking his hand away from Jiang Cheng's mouth, just as the song started up again. The purple clad man's eyes went wide when the chorus hit and his gaze wandered over to where Zixuan and Lan Zhan were standing.
"Understand?" Wei Ying asked quietly, still not taking his hand away. Jiang Cheng nodded.
"Good. Warn your clan."

Next he made his way over to another door and repeated the same knock until a tall, thin boy with shoulder length hair answered. His robed were a mess, his eyelids looked heavy and he too looked irritable.

"Shifu what-"

"Don't say full names. I take it you're not alone in there?" Wei Ying cut the boy off causing him to blink in confusion.

"No, he's on the bed, why?"

"Come here." Wei Ying called out, pushing the door open wider and from in the shadow of the room Xuanyu came into view.

"What's going on?" He asked, his makeup somewhat smudged and his hair also down.

"Someone has summoned Xiao-gege." Wei Ying answered, ignoring the shock on both of their faces, he continued.
"Don't say anyone's full name. Only nicknames. Get dressed and find The Doctor, I'm worried she's in trouble."

"And the others?" Xuanyu asked as the other boy disappeared back into the room.

"I'll tell them. Then I'll go find A-Yuan. Be careful and stay away from people, you don't know whose name will be called next." Wei Ying said, then turned to knock on another door that was answered instantly.

"I heard through the wall. Was just getting dressed." A young girl said while reaching down to pick up her sword that must have been next to the door.
"You sure this is the real thing, Shifu?"

"Without question." A low voice answered from somewhere nearby that made Zixuan jump only for him to realise it was Wen Ning.
"Black fog and the song... People could die tonight..."

"The boys will be fine." Zixuan reassured, looking at the others with a gentle smile. "They aren't idiots and they're all up in A-Ling's room. They're safe."

"Then we need to go to them." Wei Ying said his eyes wandering to Lan Zhan who nodded in agreement.

"They'll be safer with us there." The man in white added. Then Jiang Cheng came back into view, looking stern.

"If we're going, we best make it soon." He said and Zixuan saw the sweat already on his forehead. "We can't hear it because we're not close enough to those being called, but people are being picked of in droves."

Exactly how it was supposed to be... In all of his studying of the Yin Tiger Tally, Wei Ying had also dove into researching some of the most powerful and terrifying creatures of the past. Xiao-gege being one of them. As a human he was a notorious cereal killer. But in his death his spirit had grown strong simply from the song alone and the fear, hate, sadness it caused. Decades of negative emotions surrounding one spirit was enough to bring it to godly levels.

Xiao-gege was nothing like what they had been up against before. It could take them in an instant. All it needed was a full name. It didn't need to see their face or hear their voice or touch their skin. Someone could simply breath a name and if Xiao-gege or one of his puppets heard, that person was gone. They would become a puppet. Aware at first, as they were made to kill and attack. Then as hours went by, in less than a day, they were nothing but a body being held up by strings in the air. Forced to do Xiao-gege's bidding until there was nothing left to do...

If you weren't near that person, you wouldn't know who was called. The perception was off due to Xiao-gege's powers. Only the first name ever called was heard by all. Any other time you heard the song, but when it asked for the name, you heard nothing. Unless that person was standing within ten feet of you. There was no way of knowing if those you loved were okay until you found them. Which meant that there was a high chance they could be a puppet without you realising.

To make things worse... More than one person could be called at a time...

"Stay safe!" Wei Ying called out to his clan as he left with the other sect leaders. "Stay away from crowded areas!"

"Yes Shifu!" The three kids called in unison. No joking in their voices, all of them clutching their swords.

"Good luck!" Wen Ning shouted with a small wave. And then they were gone. The sect leaders running down roads towards Carp Tower, while the Demon Disciples made their way to the infirmary with Wen Ning leading the way.