Wangxian (Pt.4)

As the moon continued on its path through the night sky and the distant noise from the market grew quieter; The two men sat side by side. Silence between them, but no words were needed. Words were never really needed...

Wind fluttered past them, brushing their long hair out of their faces and filling their noses with pleasant scents. The two most distinct smells being sandalwood and soft spice. In the quietness Wei Ying began to hum a tune, tapping his finger lightly on the wall at the notes chimed in his throat.

It was a beautiful song. Calm, yet passionate. Words not heard but understood in that quiet understanding both men had of each other. But that wasn't what made this song so special. It wasn't what made Lan Zhan's eyes sparkle lighter than they had before. Of course it wasn't.

With the corners of his lips turned and a warm feeling in his chest, Lan Zhan leaned back and stared at the moon. Enjoying the wind, enjoying the sound, enjoying the presence. His body relaxed and he closed his bright eyes. letting his emotions rush over him, like a gentle stream going from his heat all the way down to his toes. The burning of alcohol reducing and being replaced with a burning love. A love that had been there for years.

Those walls everyone saw came tumbling down at the sound of Wei Ying's voice and before he knew it, Lan Zhan was humming along with him. The two of their voices combining in breath taking sound that only they would hear. That only they knew...

Wei Ying looked over his shoulder at the man in white. Someone he'd known for years. Someone who'd always been there. Someone who didn't look down on him like the rest of the world did. Lan Zhan had always been different for him. He didn't see the terrifying Hanguang-jun everyone else did. Just like how Lan Zhan didn't see the Terrifying Yiling Patriarch. 

It was just them, two men who always had each other's backs. Two men, who used to be two boys... listening to this same song in a cave, after having just fought one of the hardest battles in their lives. That was the first time Wei Ying had heard it and since then he never heard it again... until tonight... Until he was back with the man he had adored for years... Lan Zhan...

The song started coming to an end. Their voices only gaining passion since the humming began. With every note, with every breath, that unspoken thing grew closer and closer to the tip of their tongues.

Finally, with that last hum, their eyes locked. Storm grey and golden yellow. Burning with passion. Burning with peace. Burning with love...

"Lan Zhan..." The name escaped Wei Ying's mouth in a sigh.

"Mn." Lan Zhan hummed. That comfortable smile still on his serenely beautiful face.

"Why didn't you leave me?" Wei Ying asked, showing that rarely vulnerable side of himself.

Lan Zhan didn't answer. He gazed up at the moon and closed his eyes as the wind swept by them again. The soft tune from before still in the back of his mind. Not once did that smile leave his face.

Wei Ying waited for an answer, for anything from Lan Zhan. Just to meet those eyes again would be enough...

"How could I ever leave you?" The words trailed out quietly in the night. Yet Wei Ying's smile still crept onto his face.

"Is Gusu too boring for you? Do you perhaps need some humour in your life?" The younger man chimed, bumping the older's shoulder playfully.

"Perhaps." Lan Zhan hummed, glancing at the man in black next to him. "Or perhaps I just need you in my life."

Wei Ying stared at him, eyes sparkling in delight. His toothy, bunny-like smile radiating warmth. How anyone could hate him Lan Zhan couldn't understand.

The older man sat up. His gaze still taking in every aspect of Wei Ying's face, body and every other detail. The same went for the other man. Not once did he look away from his white clad companion. His long hair, his snowy complexation, the perfection.

"Tell me, gege; did you really stop by here all these years for work, or did you just want to have some tea with me?" Wei Ying asked softly.

Lan Zhan leaned in, his voice going lower and eyes unwavering.

"Even if it was only a few time a year, nothing was going to stop me from seeing you." He whispered.

A warmth spread over Wei Ying's chest at the honesty. The burn scar from years ago serving as a reminder to that time they had spent in the cave. To back when they were just boys. To back when he first realised what these feelings were but denied it. Without conscious thought, he reached up to run a hand over it. Only then did Lan Zhan's gaze break from his.

The older man stared at the scar a slight pain flashing over his face as he remembered the time when he couldn't protect Wei Ying. He had been too weak back then... But he was stronger now, much stronger.

"I was a foolish child." Lan Zhan breathed, looking down.

"How so?" Wei Ying asked.

"I was not honest with myself until much later, and by then it was too late."

He sighed and stared up at the moon once again.

"It's never too late." Wei Ying placed a hand on his shoulder, smiling kindly. "You just weren't ready back then."

Lan Zhan scoffed a little. A genuine scoff of humour because he was sure Wei Ying didn't know what he meant.

"Don't scoff at me!" The younger man whined taking his hand away to cross his arms and frown mockingly. Lan Zhan cracked a smile. Which only made Wei Ying pout even more and turn his back.

Lan Zhan's smile faded when he looked away. He wanted to keep looking at Wei Ying's face. He wanted more of Wei Ying's attention, but he wasn't sure what to say. People at Gusu didn't act like this...

Wei Ying could feel Lan Zhan's mild distress as he thought about how to regain his attention and thought it was adorable. He tried to hide them smile that wanted to take over the frown. after a few more moments he felt some shuffling behind him and wondered what was going on. However before he could turn back around Lan Zhan was in front of him, eyes burning with something and suddenly their lips were connected.

Wei Ying blinked in surprise, feeling Lan Zhan's hands holding his shoulders and the somewhat gentle pressure of the older man's lips on his. He hadn't expected this to happen so suddenly. He hadn't expected this to happen at all.

Lan Zhan's eyes were closed. All he could feel was the softly trembling shoulders underneath his grasp and Wei Ying's fluttering eyelashes. There was no reciprocation and his heart began to sink. He'd made a mistake. A poor judgment call. Before things grew worse he began to pull away fearing that Wei Ying would hate him now. But just before he opened his eyes a gentle hand cupped his neck and a quiet voice whispered softly.

"Don't..."

The hand pulled him down again. A warm breath fluttering his eyelashes just as his lips reconnected with Wei Ying's. Only this time they were kissing back. The shock had worn off and the need had finally come through. That need that had always been there, but had been suppressed. That unspoken thing finally out in open air.

The kiss deepened. Wei Ying still sitting on the wall and Lan Zhan leaning over him. A hand cupping the back of the white clad man's neck. While another moved up to brush the hair out of the black clad man's face. The moonlight still pouring over them in the now silent Yiling town.

It had been so long... So long. So needed. Build up over so many years that it just finally came pouring out. Both unable to stop themselves from needing more than just friendship. 

This was how it was supposed to be. The two of them, together. It was written in the stars since the first time they met. They were meant to be together...