Wei To Go Again (Pt.14)

"Ugh... If I eat anymore I think I'll throw up." Wei Yuan groaned as he lay back on the grass.

"Is that because you're full or because of all the spice you put on your food?" Zizhen asked from where he sat next to him.

"The first one." Wei Yuan grumbled tiredly. "I'm used to spice."

"I'm not surprised." Jin Ling said through a mouthful. "Not even Jiujiu can handle Wei Wuxian's cooking and you've had to grow up with that."

Wei Yuan smiled.

"It's not that bad."

"Oh please. We've all tried your food and out faces almost melted off." Jingyi chimed in. Zizhen snickered and he took another mouthful of food.

"Speaking of Jiujiu." Jin Ling voiced as he too finished his meal. "I'm going to visit him in Yunmeng before I go back to Lanling, and he told me to invite you so you guys don't just show up like usual." He glared gently at Zizhen and Jingyi who smiled back at him and then turned to Wei Yuan. "Sizhui, Jiujiu is already inviting Wei Wuxian, but this id my invite to you." He added and Wei Yuan grinned.

"I'm always up for visiting Yunmeng." Zizhen said once he had finished chewing and Jingyi nodded in agreement.

"We should go swimming!" Jingyi exclaimed. Wei Yuan frowned and sat up.

"Swimming in this weather? You do know it's still winter, right?" He asked and the Lan boy just smirked.

"You don't get it." Zizhen cut in and Wei Yuan turned to look at him instead. "There's this place in Yunmeng that never gets cold!" He explained.

"Stop making it seem like some big magical thing. It's just a giant big spring!" Jin Ling sighed.

"More like a hot lake! It's huge!" Jingyi corrected him.

"I'm confused." Wei Yuan said and Jin Ling just his head.

"It's just this massive, natural forming, body of warm water on the outskirts of Yunmeng. Not many of the Jiang disciples know about it, so it's quiet. I took these two there for the first time a few years ago and that's all they ever talk about when they come to Yunmeng." Jin Ling explained and Wei Yuan let out a 'oh' of understanding.

"Sounds pretty cool." He grinned and the two other boys nodded.

"It's freaking awesome!" Jingyi shouted, but Jin Ling clapped a hand over his mouth and glared at him.

"Do you have to be so loud?" He grumbled. Quickly after he pulled his hand away with a disgusted look on his face when Jingyi licked it. "What the fuck Jingyi!?"

---<~>---

"Hey Sizhui?" Zizhen called from where he lay in the grass.

"Mn?" Wei Yuan hummed sleepily.

"Did you burn those letter yet?" He asked, turning on his side to look at the other boy.

"No." Wei Yuan answered with his eyes closed. Somewhere near him Jingyi yawned and shuffled his position.

"Why are you asking Zizhen?" He said in a low but curious voice.

"I was just thinking about what we should do tomorrow since it's our last day and then I thought about having a bonfire." He explained. At his words Jin Ling rolled over to join the conversation as well.

"That sounds cool." His voice was horse and it was clear that out of all of them he was the one who had actually fallen asleep.

"For once I agree with the Young Mistress." Jingyi nodded.

"Stop calling me that." Jin Ling grumbled, but was too tired to do anything else.

"Yeah, I'm up for a bonfire." Wei Yuan agreed and Zizhen smiled softly.

"Great!"

They laid there for awhile until there was the sound of leaves crunching and someone approached them. 

"What are you boys doing?" 

They all instantly sat up at the sound of Lan Qiren's voice and glanced at each other nervously. Why was he here? Why couldn't he just fuck off?

"Oh Shifu!" Jingyi started and got to his feet quickly. "We were just spending some time together before they went home. We weren't being loud or anything if you're concerned." The boy explained while he tried to step in front of Wei Yuan so that Lan Qiren wouldn't see him glaring.

"You could use this time to train or study." Lan Qiren grumbled and Wei Yuan rolled his eyes.

"We've been studying since we got here Lan Shifu." Zizhen said calmly as he too got to his feet. "We're taking this time to admire the beauty of the Cloud Recess, before we have to say goodbye. I hope that isn't a problem with you." He bowed a little and Wei Yuan couldn't help but admire the way he handled the situation.

Lan Qiren studied him for a second before giving in and turning back the way he came.

"Very well."

Wei Yuan scoffed and slumped back down on the grass with a frown.

"Prick."

Jin Ling snorted and Zizhen shrugged a little.

"He's not that bad." Jingyi reasoned, but under the looks of his friends he cracked a small smile. "Okay maybe he is, but he still helped raise me."

"Maybe that's why you're a prick too!" Jin Ling gasped in fake surprise, but Jingyi launched himself at the younger boy and he yelped.

---<~>---

"Fire is dangerous." Lan Xichen said as he walked with the four boys and his brother.

"That's why we brought you A-Die." Jingyi smiled and lead the two men to where they had set up the fire pit.

The sun was just beginning to set on their final day at Gusu and it was time for their bonfire. Wei Yuan and Jin Ling were carrying Wei Yuan's scrolls up the hill, while Zizhen and Jingyi lead the way and explained what they were doing to the two adults.

They had expected Zewu-jun to come along with them, but when Hanguang-jun joined too they were a bit surprised, but they didn't mind. They had spent a big portion of their time there with him as well. It was only right he celebrate with them.

The four boys carefully spread Wei Yuan's letters around the fire pit and took a step back just as the moon rose for Lan Xichen to light it. Golden flamed enveloped the wood and scrolls as the six of them stood there watching.

After awhile Zizhen pulled out some of the food left over from yesterday and offered it to everyone. They sat happily munching for an hour and then the younger boys got caught up in their plans for Yunmeng. The Twin Jades watched them with contempt and even joined in the conversation now and then.

Soon midnight approached and Jingyi let out a yawn.

"Hey Sizhui, can you sing something?" He asked. Wei Yuan smiled and nodded softly.

He closed his eyes and sucked in a breath, feeling two people crawl in closer to him. He opened his eyes and found Jin Ling leaning against a tree next to him and Jingyi leaning on him, both with their eyes closed. Zizhen just smiled at them and shrugged at Wei Yuan. He sighed and closed his eyes again before the melody left his lips.

The story this time was of a bird. It was really simple. The bird had been afraid to leave its nest, but with the help of its siblings it took to the sky and journeyed to its life of freedom. It sored through the crowds. Felt the wind in its feathers and had a light feeling in its heart. 

The song was one of Wei Yuan's favourites. Wen Qing had taught it to him when he was just trying to figure out how to sing. He would never forget the feeling he felt when he first heard it. It felt like he was the bird. Like he was the one flying in the crowds. It was a nice feeling. Something he could only compare to how he felt now, with his friends around him.

His heart felt light and he felt free. It was a wonderful feeling...

-End Of Wei To Go Again