For The Best Health (Pt.1)

The dust cloud filled her lungs and she let out a great sneeze. Her brother giving her a smug smile because he wasn't at all affected by their surroundings. She glared at him. Wei Ying had really rubbed off on Wen Ning over the years and it showed.

"We should get this place cleaned up if we're going to start treating patients." Wen Qing said as she grabbed a broom and passed it to her brother. Then she took one for herself and mentally prepared for the long day of work ahead.

They had been called out to a small village far away from Yiling. The people there were desperate for medical assistance as a strange illness had spread through their homes. However, out of the many, many, doctors the villagers reached out to, no one answered. Then a woman got desperate, her child was sick and so she reached out to one of the most legendary, but most feared doctors of the generation. Wen Qing.

The only problem was that the village was known to have living relatives and survivors of the Sunshot Campine. More than a few people from Wen Village had been attacked while passing through and so Wei Ying was reluctant to let Wen Qing go. But there was no winning a fight against the older woman. She wasn't the kind of person who could just let others die when she knew she could help. So, within a few hours she and Wen Ning had packed up her supplies and set off. Both knowing their destination was dangerous, but not caring.

The woman who had originally reached out to Wen Qing had said there was a small little house hidden a few minutes away from the village. It had recently been abandoned and would make a good place to set up a temporary hospital and when they had arrived the realised that she had even set out cleaning supplies and blankets for them.

Together the siblings worked long into the night. Making sure every inch of the little building was clean enough for sick people to be treated in. Then once that was finished, Wen Qing unloaded her supplies onto a table, While Wen Ning set up the makeshift beds.

It was early hours in the morning when they finished, and Wen Qing only did so huffily when Wen Ning told her to get some rest. Using her own words against her and saying rest was important and so on. She was asleep within minutes. Leaving her younger brother to sit quietly in the dark room, but Wen Ning never minded. Especially tonight.

Especially because he knew a dear friend of his that he hadn't seen in a while lived not too far away. He would see her soon.

---<~>---

The next morning the two of them were drinking tea and chatting quietly when there was a knock at the door. Instantly Wen Ning got to his feet and strode over to open it, letting Wen Ning stay behind him in case it was a villager who had a problem with them. However, when he opened the door, he was greeted by a scared looking woman, clutching a young boy to her chest and holding the hand of a little girl.

"Good morning." Wen Ning bowed, his stiff face breaking into a small smile.

"I-I'm looking for Doctor Wen Qing." The woman said, still nervous at the sight of the strange man.

"Let her in A-Ning. She must be the one who sent the letter." Wen Qing said, making her brother step aside so that the woman and her children could enter.

Wen Qing got to her feet, stepping forward to bow to the woman then smiled.

"What can I do for you miss?"

"M-My son, he's sick." The woman began, nodding softly to the young boy in her arms. Wen Qing took one look at the boy before reaching out to take him for a closer inspection.

The woman hesitated briefly. Her motherly instinct not wanting to let her part with the child, but sense telling her that it was for them best. The little boy wined when the heat from his mother disappeared and opened his eyes to find the fixed, but gentle gaze of Wen Qing watching him. He blinked softly, little hands reaching up to touch her cheeks. The Wen woman smiled, placing a hand on the boy's forehead while he tried to play with her fingers.

His grip was weak, body hot and eyes heavy. He was certainly unwell, but Wen Qing couldn't figure out with what. Carefully she passed him back to his mother, smiling at the girl who was watching her, and strode over to her table of medicine.

"How long has he been like this?" She asked. The woman thought for a moment.

"Two weeks." The little girl answered before her mother. "He started acting funny the same day Mr Neighbour fell over." She told her mother who nodded.

"Mr neighbour?" Wen Qing asked, picking up a bottle of herbs before placing it back down and picking up a different one.

"Yes, the man who lives next door to us. He collapsed a few weeks back and hasn't left the house since. His wife is caring for him." The woman said.

Wen Qing paused for a moment, a bottle still in her hand as she mulled over what the woman had just said. So it was true. More than one in the village were sick and from how their symptoms were described, it must be serious.

She looked over at her brother, who seemed to know exactly what she was thinking.

"I'm going to regret this." Wen Ning mumbled.

---------

I'm struggling to write these parts because I'm excited for the ones after, but I have to keep telling myself that these parts are needed.