Xiao-Gege (Pt.4)

Those damn kids...

Jiang Cheng had gritted his teeth, as he stood in the emptiness of Jin Ling's room with the other three men. The bed was barely touched; blanket barely askew. The boys had hardly been there at all. Which meant they were wandering around somewhere while that demon was on the loose.

Zixuan had looked horrified, rushing around like a mad man and looking everywhere, as if the boys would be hiding from them. It was pitiful really; thinking they would actually be where they were supposed to be. The kids took after them far too much. Jiang Cheng could remember pulling similar stunts with Wei Ying when they were that age. It was just typical that they decided to do it now of all times.

Now the men were speeding out of Carp Tower, looking for four idiot teenagers, their swords and flute clutched in their hands. They had a vague idea of there the kids would be: The giant willow a short walk away from Carp Tower that they always sat under. Or some of the good taverns, since Wei Yuan was slowly converting them all into alcoholics.

The glossy wood floor boards creaked. Their footsteps faltered. Voices could be heard around the corner just ahead of them. Not singing like the ones outside, but far to cheery for the situation at hand... They were getting closer...

Zidian zapped where it wrapped around Jiang Cheng's finger. Lan Wangji placed a hand on Wei Ying's waist and pressed their backs to the wall. Zixuan's grip tightened on his sword. The voices drew closer. Shadows appeared on the wall. A Laugh rang out. One Jiang Cheng recognised. A Woman spoke. Zixuan's eyes went wide. And then the conversation met their ears.

"I wouldn't say he's a bad writer per say. I just prefer more of the stories his wife writes." The woman said. The sound of a fan snapping shut rang out.

"I completely understand!" The male exclaimed. "Don't get me wrong I'm as much of a fan of his as I am of his wife. Her stories have so much more feeling and chemistry to them. His are fantastic for intricacy and plot. But hers are good for characters." He went on, earning a slight giggle from the woman as her shadow reached up to presumably cover her mouth.

"It would be wonderful if they wrote something together." She said airily.

"I believe they have already." His tone so obviously held a smile.

"Really!?"

"Yes, a three part series. I have it in my library at home. You'll have to lend them next time you stop for tea."

"I'd love that!" She clapped her hands together in a polite bow, just as their shadows drew dangerously nearer.

The four of them had been so caught up in listening to see if they were puppets that they had forgotten what they were doing. Which meant they didn't have time to sheath their swords and get fully out of their fighting stances as the two came around the corner. Two screams erupted, ringing off the walls. The man's continuing for a little longer before it came to a silence that only lasted seconds, because Huaisang had stared rounding on them.

"What the fuck are you doing sneaking around the shadows like that!? Why are your swords out!? You almost gave me a fucking heart attack! Couldn't you have told us you were here! Qin-"

Suddenly, Jiang Cheng sped forward slamming a hand over Huaisang's mouth so hard that his back his the opposite wall. The name he was about to utter completely lost as he gasped for air with Jiang Cheng's hand still firmly over his mouth.

"Fuck- Can't breath... You just fucking winded me Jiang-"

"Stop saying names." Jiang Cheng hissed, his glare so fierce it made Huaisang instantly fall silent. His blood boiled underneath his skin. Somewhere behind him Zixuan approached Qin Su who had been standing frozen in her spot. Jiang Cheng ignored them, his focus solely on Huaisang. 

"What's going on?" The older man asked, big brown-green eyes blinking up at him in confusion and concern. It annoyed Jiang Cheng to no end. He clicked his tongue.

"Someone has summoned Xiao-gege, that's what." He glowered, pressing his hand against Huaisang's mouth as the anger reared its head. God he was such an idiot walking around unprotected.
"What the fuck were you thinking!?"

"What!?" Huaisang's eyes widened in shock. "When? I had no idea!"

"Clearly! Otherwise you wouldn't be walking around like an idiot while puppets are on the lose! Are you trying to get yourself killed!?"

"Sect leader Jiang, please, it was my idea that we go for an evening walk." A gentle hand grabbed his arm and stole his hand away from where it was still pressed against Huaisang's mouth. Qin Su had a guilty look in her eyes, though her expression was calm. Jiang Cheng tried not to glare at her as much as he wanted to.

"Why so late though?" Zixuan asked, drawing the attention to him.

"For some privacy." Qin Su answered and seemed to go on, but stalled, steeling a look back at Huaisang. Jiang Cheng looked back at him too, a sick feeling crawling up from his stomach and only growing worse at the cold stare Huaisang met his eyes with.

"To discuss the marriage agreement." He said and suddenly the world froze. 

Jiang Cheng's eyes widened still locked with Huaisang's. All the air seemed to leave his lungs. People were talking, but he couldn't hear them. He didn't want to hear them... The anger burned like lava under his skin.

"Of course, nothing is official yet!" Qin Su hurriedly went on, completely unaware of what was happening behind her. Especially since her brother was gaping at her like a fish.
"We were going over some things to make sure we were both on the same page and then we got caught up talking about books. We were so enthralled that we didn't notice what was going on around us. Really we should've been more observant..."

Enthralled...

The way she said it brought a bitter taste to Jiang Cheng's mouth that made him scowl. Huaisang only shrugged, finally pulling his eyes away and stepping around Jiang Cheng to addressed Wei Ying.

"So what is this about Xiao-gege?"

Jiang Cheng stayed where he stood, eyes now fixed on the wall where Huaisang's head had been. It wasn't like he hadn't know Huaisang was courting Qin Su. The news had come up a long time ago. Gossip travels fast. However, like every other time, he had assumed Huaisang would grow unsatisfied and break it off. He'd been searching for a wife for so long Jiang Cheng just assumed he'd be at it forever or until he grew too old. Yet now... Now he could be getting married... He wanted to break something...

But he also knew getting angry wasn't right. He had no reason to after all. It's not like Huaisang belonged to him. They were both men... Though that never stopped Jiang Cheng in the past. They were both sect leaders... But so were Lan Xichen and Nie Mingjue... No. It would never work.

They weren't in love. They weren't Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian who were enamoured with each other even back during their Gusu days. They were friends. Who had kissed drunkenly as teens yes. But they were just friends.

So... Why was he so angry? Why? When he should be happy that Huaisang was finally getting what he wanted. A wife... an heir...

"I'll accompany you." His voice drifted in over his thoughts. The very man he was thinking about. Yet his words stirred the unpleasant feeling within him. Jiang Cheng's head short around quickly.

"No way in hell, you don't even carry a weapon." He spat making Wei Ying eye him sceptically and Qin Su take a step back.

"A-Zhen is with them and I know for a fact that bastard Ouyang isn't looking for him." Huaisang shot back.

"You'll only get in the way." Jiang Cheng snarled taking a step froward to tower over him.

"Are you going to stop me?" Huaisang glared up at him, his words hitting Jiang Cheng directly in his heart... carrying far more than one meaning.

Was he going to stop him?