The Aftermath (Pt.3)

"Are you alright?" Lan Zhan asked taking a seat next to Wei Ying, who had just been given another drink by Huaisang.

"Yeah. Jiang Cheng just needs a few minutes to process his emotions and then he'll come back and apologise. He acts on impulse when he's angry or stressed. It's pretty common for Jiangs." Wei Ying explained.

He said this mostly to reassure Huaisang as the other man was gazing at the door nervously. Earlier he had tried to go after Jiang Cheng, but just ended up getting yelled at. In the end Jin Guangyao was the one who went to talk to him. Wei Ying thought it was an unlikely pairing, but he knew they had to have some sort of relationship since they both helped take care of Jin Ling.

Speaking of the you Jin heir. Jin Ling had come downstairs just in time to see Jiang Cheng slam the door and was demanding to know what had happened. Zixuan was trying to calm him down, but the boy was still kicking up a fight. Ironically the boy's behaviour reminded him very much of the man who just punched him and he let out a small chuckle. Everyone looked at him.

"Oh don't mind me. I was just realising how strong the Jiang blood is. You're almost exactly like your uncle." He said to Jin Ling, who shuffled nervously.

"Thank you?" Jin Ling mumbled as Wei Ying took a sip out of his new jar.

"I'm not sure if it's much of a complement, but it is nice to know that the Jins haven't completely gotten to you." Wei Ying wiped his mouth in his sleeve and shot Jin Ling a tired smile. "How's A-Yuan by the way? Is he still awake?"

"Yes, we've been talking..." Jin Ling nodded, but was reminded of their conversation and quickly looked down at the ground to hide his sadness. Wei Ying watched him closely and his eyes softened.

"Thanks for watching him for me." He said and Jin Ling's head shot up. For some reason he hadn't expected Wei Wuxian to thank him for something he wanted to do. It was odd. Now that Jin Ling had decided he wanted to know the man that grew up with his mother, he was now aware of how kind he was to him. He didn't have the same intimidating presence the other sect leaders did. He just seemed normal...

"A-Ling, why don't you go back upstairs? Don't worry about your Jiujiu, he'll be fine." Zixuan said and Jin Ling turned to look at him.

"Are you sure?" He asked, but Wei Ying answered instead.

"Absolutely, he's just got to finish his tantrum first and then we'll be able to talk like adults. Besides, who knows what trouble those boys are causing upstairs. You best go put them straight, future Jin leader." He grinned and Jin Ling nodded nervously before heading back upstairs.

Once he was gone Zixuan sent Wei Ying a strange look and the man glared back at him.

"What are you looking at?"

---<~>---

 "I didn't think you'd be the one to come after me." Jiang Cheng said as Guangyao approached him quietly.

"But you were expecting someone to come? Wanted to be dramatic, did you?" Guangyao asked stopping beside Jiang Cheng and looking out at the quiet street.

"None of you know the meaning of privacy. It was only a matter of time." Jiang Cheng replied. There was silence for a few moments.

"Was it really necessary to punch Wei Ying?" Guangyao said and Jiang Cheng sighed.

"The man is a fool. He has little to know respect for his own life or safety. I suppose I was just trying to knock some sense into him. Make him see how reckless he was..."

"Didn't you also sacrifice yourself for Wei Wuxian that day? Does that also make you a fool?" Guangyao asked.

"Of course you would know about that... Yes, I was also a fool and I know I overreacted today, but when secrets like this get revealed... It's like I'm reliving it. I hate thinking about that time when everything seemed like it was falling apart. Remembering everything we lost..." Jiang Cheng explained.

"It was a hard time for everyone... And the only people we can really blame for it are our parents, the people who lost their lives in the war, all because they were too comfortable to stomp it out before it grew."

"I believe that is a matter of opinion and experience, Guangyao. Your father is one thing, but my parent had their own things going on." Jiang Cheng said and Guangyao smiled softly, looking down at the ground.

"Yes, you are right. Who am I to say such things after everything I did?" Jiang Cheng looked over at him with a frown. There was a hidden emotion in Guangyao's voice when he said those words and he didn't like it.

"That's not what I-" The younger man tried to say but Guangyao cut him off.

"I'm aware Jiang Cheng and I'm thankful that you and the other's don't hold my awful actions against me. However I do not wish for them to be excused. If you think about it, the whole reason we are out here is because of a clan I sided with, even if I was a spy. I killed many innocent people who were just preforming their duties to their sects and I haven't even properly apologised..."

Jiang Cheng stared at Guangyao but didn't say anything. He didn't know what to say. The all had baggage from the Sunshot Campine, however no one was truly open about their experiences. Based off of what Guangyao just said, he could assume that the older man's past weighed on him far more than he let on, much like someone else Jiang Cheng knew.

"You're a fool. All of us are fools. This is ridiculous!" Jiang Cheng chuckled and Guangyao smiled at him in confusion.

"I'm sorry?" 

Jiang Cheng laughed a little harder and patted Guangyao's shoulder softly.

"I can't understand why we're getting so upset over things we can't change... I stormed out here, for what? Wei Ying is still alive. I doubt he would let me give back the core even if we could and life has still worked out. We can't change what's in the past, only what's in the future and there is a sixteen year old boy in there who will not get a future. I would much rather focus on finding a cure for him or making sure he and his friends don't have the life we had, than dwell on an unhappy life. Wouldn't you agree?"

"I suppose..."

Jiang Cheng smiled at Guangyao before looking down at the floor where the smile faded slightly.

"As much as I would like to live my life like that. It is not possible to let go of something that has had such an impact on your life, but I will do my damned hardest to make sure Jin Ling and those boys never have to experience it and I will try not to let it affect me as much..." He said quietly as Guangyao watching him in amazement.

"I hope you do that Jiang Cheng, I really do. You're a stronger man than I."

"I don't believe that. We just need to make peace, to be strong." Jiang Cheng said and turned his back to Guangyao suddenly. The older man seemed surprised by his sudden action and opened his mouth to ask where Jiang Cheng was going, but in the end he didn't need to.

"It's time for me to make peace." He mumbled as he re-entered the Inn. 

---------

I'm back! I struggled so much with this part and I'm not even sure I like it. I honestly don't even know if it makes sense, but I'm tired an really just wanted to get this one done so I can move on. Sorry for the long update!