Moss Shaded Pool in Lotus Pier

"I heard about the incident at Gusu last week." Jiang Cheng said to the older of the twin Jades. "Is Jingyi okay?" 

Lan Xichen smiled softly at the other sect leader. Though he never acted like it, Jiang Cheng cared about the young Lan disciple like he was another one of his nephews, having helped Xichen take care of him many times in the past.

"He seems fine. I managed to convince shufu to give him a lighter punishment than lashes. While what he did was awful, I don't think he should have to suffer the physical scar for it at well as the mental one." Lan Xichen explained and Jing Cheng sighed.

"That doesn't make it sound like he's fine." He mumbled and Xichen had to agree.

"I can never tell if that boy is truly okay or not. He's always smiling, but then he does things like that. I can't help but wonder if he's hiding his true feelings."

"Why don't you just talk to him about it?"

"I'd risk reminding him of it. I'd never forgive myself if he suffers more because I've said to much." Lan Xichen said as he took a sip from his tea.

"You sound ridiculous. He's a teenager, he's going to get curious at some point." Jiang Cheng rolled his eyes and Xichen put down his cup with a small frown.

"There are things you don't tell young master Jin about Madam Jiang." He pointed out and Jiang Cheng shot him a glare.

"What Jin Ling doesn't know won't hurt him." Jiang Cheng simply stated.

"Than the same goes for Jingyi."

The tow men glared at each other, before Jiang Cheng sighed and finished the dregs of his cup.

"If you say so."

Lan Xichen smiled and kindly filled him another glass. Jiang Cheng watched him while he did it and then picked up his cup for another sip. Once he was finished he looked down into the liquid and Xichen knew it was because he was avoiding eye contact.

"I heard you let Wei Yuan study at the cloud recess. What possessed you to do that?" He asked a little bitterly.

"I thought you and Wei-gongzi were on good terms now A-Cheng. Why do you seem to have a problem with this?" Xichen said and Jiang Cheng scoffed a little.

"I don't have a problem with it. I just thought you would, or at least your uncle would." He explained and Xichen felt confused.

"What do you mean?"

"That boy is literally another Wei Wuxian, possibly even smarter than him actually and you let him into the cloud recess. Do you not remember the chaos my brother made when he was there? Why are you letting history repeat itself?" Jiang Cheng sounded genuinely concerned and Lan Xichen let a small laugh escape his lips.

"A little chaos is good for the soul every so often. Besides Wei Sizhui is actually extremely talented. I was pleasantly surprised when he helped with the incident last week." 

"You don't need to tell me the boy is talented. I've seen him in action and he's one of the most impressive junior disciples I've seen. He could give A-Ling a run for his money." Jiang Cheng added as an after thought.

"Please don't forget young master Ouyang and Jingyi, they are rather skilled as well." Xichen said making Jiang Cheng crack a smile.

"You are soft for those boys, aren't you? You better not be favouring them over A-Ling or I will come to the Cloud Recess myself and set you straight." Jiang Cheng threated still with his crooked grin.

"Please do Master Jiang, it would be a pleasure to have you visit me." Xichen smiled.

"Maybe when I'm not busy." Jiang Cheng sighed. "I make no promises though. So, you'll have to continue to visit me here in Yunmeng for the time being." He added.

"Of course." Lan Xichen bowed his head and took a sip of his tea. As he placed his cup down on the table a thought struck him and he looked up at Jiang Cheng cautiously.

"A-Cheng, I don't suppose Wei-gongzi has said anything to you about Wei Sizhui's health has he?" He asked and Jiang Cheng's attention instantly snapped in his direction.

"No. Why? Are you suspicious of something? Do you think he's sick?" Jiang Cheng seemed very concerned and Xichen found it very sweet. He smiled slightly at the other man to reassure him and then went on to explain. 

"I'm not especially concerned because they live with Madam Wen, but I noticed the boy had some severe scaring and was wondering where he had gotten it from." 

"Oh, that." Jiang Cheng relaxed a little. "I'm not certain, but Wei Ying did mention something about almost losing the boy when he was a child. I think they have something to do with that." Jiang Cheng said. 

Wei Ying had told him about this when they were catching up during Jiang Cheng's recovery. Though he didn't seem to want to discuss the cause of Wei Yuan's near death experience.

"Did he mention anything about why they turn black?" Lan Xichen asked gently and Jiang Cheng shrugged.

"He said it was something to do with demonic cultivation. I assume it's just the scar tissue changing colour as power surges through his body. I know that Jin Ling's veins pop out when he's focused on a battle. It's probably something similar." Jiang Cheng suggested. 

Xichen remembered Wei Yuan saying something similar when he asked him about the scars and decided to drop it. He was here to spend time catching up with a friend of his. Discussing important matters could wait.