Hanging Tree Night Hunt (Pt.9)

It starts off as heat. This burning heat that travels through your body until it locates the source of awful pain you feel. And you can put up with that heat even as you feel it wrap around the source. Sure it hurts, but you can manage it... That is until it stops just feeling hot and slowly starts burning you. Joined with the pain you have to suck in breaths to deal with it, but you still can. You can for a moment, because it just burns...

But then it starts feeling like you're being stabbed on top of everything else and with every time you get stabbed you can feel your flesh sever beneath the blade. You let out a grunt or two and try not to move and it stays like that for a second...

Zizhen felt Sizhui's grip on his hand tighten as the boy let out a grunt of pain. Wei Wuxian had only just started. His hand on his son's chest with resentment swarming around it, but with the way Sizhui was already acting he could tell it hurt. He found it amazing how Sizhui was even keeping his eyes open.

Just then the swarm of resentful energy Wei Wuxian had been conjuring short down into Sizhui's body and the boy let out an awful scream of pain, gripping Zizhen's hand incredibly tightly. This took Zizhen by surprise. He looked at Sizhui's face and saw him looking straight at him, breathing heavily. Zizhen then felt Sizhui trying to pull his hand away, but he wasn't going to let him.

"I'm fine." Zizhen mumbled quietly and Sizhui nodded a little closing his eyes for a second.

A-Yuan knew it was selfish for letting Zizhen keep holding his hand. He knew he would hurt him when the next wave came, but he really didn't want to let go. His body still ached from where the pieces of his core had been moved a little and he knew that that still wasn't the worst to come.

He looked at his father who was so concentrated it was scary. Then after a few minutes the man looked back at him and A-Yuan sucked in a deep breath. This was it...

The wave of resentment shot through his body and along the pathways the previous wave had set up. As it travelled A-Yuan's body burned and he screwed up his eyes. Then the resentment reached the pieces. Wrapping around them, feeling like knives as they did. And then they started moving...

A-Yuan bit down on the cloth in his mouth, trying to lessen the pain as what felt like burning, electrified blades cut through his flesh slowly, but it only got worse the more they moved. As the pieces of his core got closer together their power reached out for one another like ropes being pulled so tight they would break. A-Yuan screamed.

He screamed so hard he thought his voice box would break. Tears streamed down his face and his back arched, but the pain wouldn't stop. No matter how much he kicked and screamed in agony it just kept getting worse. Eventually he spit out the cloth in his mouth, feeling like he was going to choke on it if it wasn't gone. This only made his screaming sound louder and more pained.

"Stop!" He wailed. "Baba please!"

Wei Ying tried to push down the guilt he felt and ignored the tears that spilled out of his eyes. He needed to do this. He needed to fix this or else A-Yuan would die. He had no other option.

"Hold him down!" He said to Lan Zhan, who reacted immediately and pushed A-Yuan's back down as he screamed again. That exact action was what brought up the memories Wei Ying had been fighting down. The stuff that haunted his nightmares.

He just remembered watching Wen Ning push A-Yuan down as the eight-year-old boy screamed in agony. Wen Qing was trying to transfer as much energy as she could, while instructing a terrified Xue Yang to pass her he medical things to try and stop the pain... 

A-Yuan's screams from back then had never left Wei Ying's thoughts and he knew that these one's wouldn't either. It was because of him that this had happened. He could try and change over the years but that fact still wouldn't change. His inability to think of anything else when he needed to... it was one of his biggest regrets.