The Black Sheep Of The Family (Pt.1)

6 years ago.

Being one of Jin Guangshan's illegitimate children is hard enough as it is. Being the youngest only adds to the pressure of trying to do well and being a cut-sleeve just drags you down. There is very little you can do right in that situation and despite him trying his very hardest, Mo Xuanyu still ended up being looked down on and bullied.

It was no better than life back with the other side of his family. Except here his family didn't even bother with him and he was being beaten up by their disciples. He hated it. But he knew he couldn't go back because at least here the disciples restrained themselves because he was the sect leader's brother. He had no choice but to bare with it.

Thankfully out of the hundreds of Jin disciples Xuanyu had managed to befriend one of them. A boy his age who's name was Jin Feng. Like most of the other disciples Jin Feng was taller than Xuanyu and he was also stronger, but he didn't rub it in. He helped Xuanyu train and try to enhance the strength of his golden core. He was nice to Xuanyu and although he tried not to Xuanyu developed a small crush on Jin Feng.

He tried to hide it as he knew Jin Feng had a crush on one of the female disciples and didn't let his feelings get the better of him, but somehow Jin Feng could still tell. He never confronted Xuanyu about it because the boy never harassed him or pushed his feelings onto him. He would simply stare sometimes and compliment him a little too enthusiastically.

In all honesty Jin Feng liked having Mo Xuanyu as a friend because he was funny and kind when you looked past the multiple scandals he had. Thanks to him Xuanyu found staying in Lanling barrable and stayed there for awhile.

That was until they turned 13 and Jin Feng got closer to the girl he was crushing on. Xuanyu didn't mind when the boy would skip out on their plans to spend time with her and he hid his jealousy by focusing on studies and gaining his brothers' favour. That went well for awhile too.

Jin Guangyao noticed how hard Xuanyu was trying and invited him to eat dinner with him. It was awkward for them at first and they mostly talked about disciple stuff until Jin Guangyao brought up Xuanyu's makeup and how he thought it suited him. Xuanyu didn't expect this and almost hugged the man but restrained himself.

He explained that he had always like the way his mother wore it and after she died she left some of it to him. Jin Guangyao listen carefully and would ask questions in an attempt to get to know his younger brother better. The dinner ended well and Xuanyu walked back to his room feeling better about his living situation, especially after he had been invited to dinner with Jin Zixuan as well the next day.

He found himself wanting to tell Jin Feng about how it went and did during a lesson the next day. He seemed thrilled Xuanyu was finally starting to talk to his family more, but when he noticed the stares of the other disciples he quickly quieted down. Xuanyu found it odd but did not question it because he knew one of the disciples was his crush's brother.

That night he went to dinner with his brothers and had a great time. Like the day before the beginning was awkward, but then Xuanyu got them started on the topic of Jin Ling and the two men went on about him for hours. Xuanyu hadn't met Jin Ling properly, but had seen him and his friends in passing a few times. They would wave at him, but they never spoke and Xuanyu was okay with that.

Again Xuanyu went to bed happy that night and told Jin Feng all about it the next day, but the other boy just seemed a little annoyed.

This routine continued for just over a month and then one night Jin Zixuan offered to introduce Xuanyu to Jin Ling. Xuanyu accepted saying he would be happy to if Jin Ling wanted to and then went back to his room to sleep.

However when he entered he found Jin Feng, a pretty girl and a group of disciples throwing his stuff around and breaking some of the last things his mother had given him. He screamed and ran to stop them, but they knocked him to the floor and continued to trash his home. 

After awhile though they got bored and turned their attention to Xuanyu was was chasing after them while crying for them to stop. The girl scoffed at him and nudged one of the disciples with her elbow. Xuanyu recognised her as Jin Feng's crush and the disciple as her brother.

The boy took a step forward and grabbed at Xuanyu who back away fearfully. Just then someone's hands snaked around his arms and held him in place as the brother approached him.

"Pathetic cut-sleeve thinks he's all high and mighty because he's the sect leader's brother?" He grumbled and Xuanyu's eyes went wide.

"What!? No!" He yelled, but was quickly shut up when the other boy punched him.

"Such an annoying high pitched voice." The girl winded and the other disciples nodded in agreement. Including Jin Feng.

"I wonder if he's even a boy." Another disciple added.

"That would explain the cut-sleeve thing!" Someone else barked and Xuanyu felt his heartrate pick up.

This had happened before. People wanted to humiliate him so they stripped him in the middle of his village and everyone watched and because he was too weak to fight back his family got pissed with him and locked him away so that that wouldn't happen again.

He struggled against the grip of the person holding his arms and began yelling about how he was a boy. They didn't listen. Nobody ever did.

After what felt like hours of people removing his clothes and laughing at him. Xuanyu fell to the floor and sobbed as they all left. As he cried he heard someone's footsteps falter and glanced at the door.

Jin Feng stood there looking like he wanted to say something, but Xuanyu didn't want to hear it. He had helped them! He had watched them humiliate him and didn't even try to stop them!

"Get the fuck out!" He screamed making Jin Feng jump and scurry away.

Once he was gone Xuanyu crawled on his knees and slammed the door closed, before he began sobbing uncontrollably. He scrambled around the room desperately looking for something to cover himself with.

Once he pulled on his trousers and thin outer robe he sat on the bed, his body trembling. He thought he was starting to belong in Lanling. He thought he could call it home... He sobbed dryly and looked around for at least one of his possessions that wasn't broken. There was none. He carefully walked around the room just to make sure. However his heart broke more when he found the new jade token Jin Guangyao had given him was broken too. He clutched it close to his chest knowing it was stupid to cry over something a practicable stranger had given him, but it still meant a lot.

After awhile he stopped crying and looked down at the broken jade token with the Lanling Jin crest carved into it. He really didn't belong there.         

He got to his feet wobblily and looked around the room one more time. Everything he had was broken. Everyone he cared about didn't care about him as much. He had nothing tying him to Lanling at all. he looked down at the broken Jade token in his hands and ran a figure across the peony before launching it across the room. He was done. He was finished with the Lanling Jin clan.

And with that he climbed out of his window, still in only his outer robe and trousers and never returned.