Another Place (TGC Pt.6)

Yanli burst out laughing. Unable to hide her mouth with her sleeve because she was in danger of falling over from laughing so much.

"No, no A-Ling! You're just asleep." She soothed, coming over to wrap her arms around her son for the first time in years.

"Then- Why are you here?" Jin Ling asked, sniffing slightly, but still trying not to cry.

"Because there are some things I think you should know." Yanli answered. "Things your father is still unable to tell you."

"O-Okay."

Together, the two of them sank to the floor. Yanli's arms still wrapped tightly around Jin Ling, unwilling to let him go while she still had the chance to embrace him. He liked it. He missed it. The warmth her aura created and the safeness of her arms made him feel loved. It made him feel as young as he was. Like as long as she held onto him, nothing could hurt him.

Different to the way his father's embrace felt. Jin Ling realised there was no hardness of muscle, no fiercely protective strength wrapped around him. There was that security, but his father's arms weren't so tender. They squeezed him tightly, as if afraid he'd slip away. His mother's arms held him so carefully he wondered if she thought he might break.

It was a nice difference... 

"A-Ling?" Yanli's voice was barely more then a whisper as she pulled away. Jin Ling wanted argue and hug her tighter, but though against it.

"Yes, mama?" He said looking down at where her hands fell in her lap and reaching for one. 

She smiled at him. Willingly letting him take her hand, while she brought her other one up to brush the hair out of his face. He'd gotten so big since she had last seen him. Since she had last been able to hold her baby in her arms. He looked so much like his father, yet there was still that hint of her in his features. The perfect blend of both of them.

"I'm sure by now you know how I died." 

He nodded, eyes filling with tears at the mere memory of the day he was told his mother was gone. 

"But did anyone tell you the real reason why it happened?" Her soft eyes scanned his face. A sad smile tugging at her lips when he nodded again.

"They said you were sick... That choosing to have... him... was what killed you." Jin Ling said.

"That's not entirely wrong. I did die giving birth and I was sick. But it was not his fault. It was no ones fault A-Ling."

Jin Ling stared at her, not really understanding.

"I always wanted children. The happiest day of my life was the day you were born A-Ling. It was like I'd been living in winter and you were my sun. But I watched you grow, I saw how lonely you were. Which was why I was overjoyed to learn I was pregnant again... Even if that meant me taking a great risk..." Yanli's voice was quiet, gently explaining everything to Jin Ling.

"A... Risk?" The boy questioned, making his mother nod sadly.

"When I was pregnant with you... I was told that you might not make it. My body wasn't suited for motherhood. I was sick from the beginning to the end. Wen Qing practically lived in Lanling for the last few months, until you were born. Then, when I finally had you in my arms, I was told that I may never have anymore children and that if I were to carry anymore it would damage my body and my health." She said.
"You father and I planned to stop at just you. But then, when you were five, I learned that I was pregnant again. It terrified us. Wei Ying rushed Wen Qing to Lanling immediately. Your Jiujiu left his responsibilities at Yunmeng just to come and check on me and take care of you. However after a quick check over we learned that both me and the baby were fine. For the first six months nothing was wrong..."