Wei To Go Again (Pt.3)

Lan Jingyi had never met anyone quite like Wei Yuan. The boy was extremely handsome, intelligent and a skilled cultivator. But there was one other thing about Wei Yuan, he was utterly, completely, profoundly shameless!

Jingyi prided himself on being the most un Lan like Lan to ever exist, but even he found Wei Yuan's personality to be on a completely different scale. Jingyi would never imagine telling a room full of cultivators to go fuck themselves and here Wei Yuan did it without a damn problem. He actually seemed like he had been wanted to say that for a long time. Jingyi was amazed.

"It's about time he snapped." Zizhen whispered to Jingyi and Jin Ling. "I know we don't know him that well, but we've seen enough of him in Yiling to know that he is nowhere near that polite." He added. Jingyi nodded in agreement.

Based on what they had seen in Yiling. Wei Yuan had definitely been putting on an act for the past two weeks.

"It must have been hard for him." Jingyi mumbled as Lan Qiren walked past, clearly trying to continue on with the lesson like nothing had happened. Like he hadn't just made them all listen to him lecture Wei Yuan for at least 2 hours.

"What do you mean?" Jin Ling asked.

"Some of the disciples have been purposefully targeting him so that he gets kicked out." Zizhen explained. Jin Ling gaped.

"That's ridiculous! What's he ever done to them?"

"Practiced demonic cultivation. Is the son of Wei Wuxian. Has made them all seem like total idiots for the past two weeks..." Jingyi listed.

"That's bullshit." Jin Ling muttered.

"You're telling us. We watched them push him into a river the other day." Said Zizhen.

"Why didn't you do anything?"

"We were going to, but he didn't want our help. He just climbed out and walked away."

They sat in silence for a few seconds as Lan Qiren passed by again and then Jin Ling spoke up.

"Why do you think he's avoiding us?" He whispered.

"Probably because the young mistress dragged us away before we could say goodbye to him back in Yiling." Jingyi answered.

"I didn't think we were going! I just thought we were heading back to the infirmary!" Jin Ling whispered shouted at them. "And stop calling me that!"

"Young mistress." Jingyi teased. There was a sharp pain on the back of his head and he turned around to see Jin Ling holding up one of his books. Lan Qiren had his back to them.

"Did you just hit me with that you little prick!?" Jingyi spat.

"I'm taller than you short ass!" Jin Ling retorted.

"Shut up you two! Or you'll have to go join Wei Sizhui for punishment." Zizhen reminded them.

The two boys stopped begrudgingly and went back to their work as Lan Qiren made his way back up the the front of the room to continue his lecture on ghosts.

---<~>---

Wei Yuan walked into the room and sat down at the table in front of Hanguang-jun. The boy said nothing, but he looked tired and visibly upset. Lan Zhan didn't know what to do. He had heard about the incident that lead to Wei Yuan needing a punishment, but he felt like certain things had been left out.

As he placed a sheet of parchment in front of the boy, he examined his face carefully. He then went to pass the boy a brush and in those brief few seconds Lan Zhan looked away Wei Yuan glared up at him and spoke.

"You lied." He stated in a broken voice. "You said I would be fine here. You broke the rules. Why... Why would you do that?"

Lan Zhan blinked for a second feeling his chest ache. The boy looked destroyed. Something Lan Zhan had never seen on his face in all the time he had known him. It didn't feel right.

"Did you just invite me here to impress my father or something?" He asked again, before Lan Zhan could say anything. "I mean I get it, if you did. I've seen the way you look at him, but I don't appreciate being used like this. Especially when it makes me miserable."

"Sizhui... What are you talking about? What's going on that I'm not aware of?" Lan Zhan asked the boy softly.

"So you don't know... That explains a lot. I thought you just didn't like me either." Wei Yuan mumbled. "Who am I kidding? You probably hate me anyway. I mean you know I was born a Wen. Shit... Imagine what those assholes would do to me if they found that out. They'd probably try to murder me in my sleep... Sorry I'm rambling aren't I? I do that when I'm hungover. A-Qing says I have no filter." He looked down at the parchment and then reached for one of the other brushes, instead of the one Lan Zhan was offering him. "I'll stop talking now."

Lan Zhan blinked as the boy started writing in silence. He had no idea what to do. He wasn't good with kids like Wei Ying. He wasn't all that good with people in general. Sure he knew Wei Yuan from all those times he had visited Yiling, but he had rarely spoken to the boy. Actually the first decent conversation he had ever had with the boy was when he asked him to come to Gusu.

Not to mention the fact that Wei Yuan was a lot like his father and always had a smile on his face or a cheery aura around him. Right now he looked deflated. He was sad and Lan Zhan didn't know how to cheer him up. Apparently he had lied? What did he mean by that?

Lan Zhan examined the boys form again and noticed that his hands were shaking as he wrote. That was it. Lan Zhan reached out a hand and placed it on top of the boy's to stop him from writing. Wei Yuan looked up at him with big, confused eyes that reminded Lan Zhan a lot of Wei Wuxian.

"Hanguang-jun?" The boy croaked. Lan Zhan removed his hand from the boys and heaved a sigh.

"Do not bully the weak, or make fun of others." Lan Zhan said softly.

"Are calling me weak?" Wei Yuan joked half-heartedly.

"Do not form a clique and exclude others. Do not insult people. Make sure to act virtuously." Lan Zhan went on and Wei Yuan frowned. "Tell me who broke these rules and I will have them punished."

Wei Yuan's eyes widened in surprise and he let out a nervous chuckle.

"No need Hanguang-jun! I was exaggerating earlier!" He said.

"Do not say one thing and mean another. Do not lie." Hanguang-jun added and Wei Yuan felt his heart sink.

"I don't want to make it worse." He mumbled and Lan Zhan felt his eyes soften. "I mean it's not like it was that bad anyway. Yesterday was just rough. I didn't mean to call you a liar Hanguang-jun, I was just upset. I apologise for my outburst." He looked down at the table, unable to maintain eye contact with the man any longer.

"But I did lie. I assured you and Wei Ying that you would be fine here and you are not. I was dishonest."

"If you're worried about baba thinking you lied, you don't have to. I'm not going to tell him." Wei Yuan said, but this only made Lan Zhan annoyed.

"Wei Yuan, I am concerned about you." he stated plainly and the boy sighed.

"With all due respect Hanguang-jun, there isn't much you can do. I practice the demonic path. People don't exactly like that. And we both know how many people my father has pissed off, which doesn't help either. You can't make people accept me and punishment will only further their hatred. I'd appreciate it if you just let it be. I can handle it myself and I promise I will not drink myself stupid again."

Wei Yuan didn't wait for Lan Zhan to say anything and picked up his brush. The way he explained the situation made Lan Zhan realise that this was probably not the first time Wei Yuan had been targeted. It also made him wonder how often it happened back at Yiling. He knew Wei Wuxian was a capable man, but it still pained him to know how much was still going through.