A 'Cultivation' Conference

"You almost kissed him!?" Guangyao gasped once Huaisang explained the events of his trip to Yunmeng.

The Nie sect leader just nodded into his hand in shame. He had arrived back at Qinghe the day before. Unlike the others, he didn't stay the full week as he didn't have anyone to cover his duties while he was away. Of course the second he arrived, he was greeted with news that none other than Jin Guangyao was on his way. Under the context of a 'cultivation' conference.

Huaisang knew that the actual reason was that they hadn't been able to meet for tea for two weeks and Guangyao wanted to know about everything that had happened. The man always seemed to know when drama was rife. 

"He doesn't know?" Guangyao asked while peering over his teacup. 

"Hasn't the foggiest." Huaisang groaned, wresting his head on the table. This was one of Huaisang's biggest problems and it was a secret that not even his brother knew. No matter how drunk Huaisang got, he remembered everything. And that meant everything.

When he was sober, like every other person, trivial things slipped his mind. Not when he was drunk. He could tell you exactly how many times you fell over and what the reasons were or every detail leading up to why you fell into a river. Everything from what taverns you went to, to the people you saw. He knew everything. Which was quite handing when you wanted leverage on people, but at the same time it was a cures.

In this instance it was a curse.

"I asked him to marry me..." Huaisang whined into the wooden table. "I called him A-Cheng! What the hell is wrong with me!? I'm trying to find a wife, not lose a friend!"

Huaisang expected Guangyao to say something at his words, but when he was greeted with silence he looked up. Guangyao had an unreadable expression on his face, but it was clear to Huaisang that he was being judged for something.

"What?" He whined and Guangyao just sighed.

"Why are you trying to find a wife? We both know you aren't interested." He asked and now it was Huaisang's turn to sigh.

"I need an heir." He said but Guangyao just shook his head.

"You never cared about that before. You didn't care if the Nie bloodline died out with you."

"That was before Da-ge's death. I don't want future generations blaming him for the downfall of the sect. After all it was him who taught me and it seems like that was nothing but a waste. If I have an heir then I can pass on my knowledge and perhaps the child will have an easier time than me." Huaisang went on.

Guangyao couldn't believe what he was hearing. For someone like Huaisang to say something like that, it made his blood boil.

"You're having a child out of guilt? You're forcing yourself to live in misery for no reason? What the hell is wrong with you!?" Guangyao raised his voice a little making Huaisang frown. "Your brother would never have wanted this!"

"This is exactly what me brother wanted from me in the beginning! And I didn't listen! Now look at me! I'm failing! My sect is falling in grace! And my disciples despise me!" Huaisang yelled back. Guangyao just stared at him in shock. How could Huaisang think this? How could he think he's failing!?  

"Huaisang, what are you talking about?" The man in gold breathed. "You're not failing. In fact, no cultivation sect has ever had such good business going on within it, ever. The fact that you can maintain such a balance with merchants and civilians is outstanding!"

"We're a cultivation sect, Guangyao. We cultivate, we aren't supposed to be traders." Huaisang seemed downright depressed as he spoke. "We're a cultivation sect and I can hardly cultivate." 

"Huaisang..."

"I don't want Da-ge's name to become something shameful. I don't want him to be remembered as the man who trained a failure of a sect leader and then dropped dead. I do not want him to be blamed for my mistakes. If I was to get married and produce an heir then I would at least gain some favour and I would be able to encourage the child to be great."

"Will that make you happy?" Guangyao asked. Huaisang was silent. "Will you be happy with a wife and child, knowing you missed out on marrying the person you truly want?"

"He's not interested. He finds the thought downright disgusting. I would rather stop these feelings now than remain hopeful for another two decades." 

Guangyao stared at the other man for a few moments. He was unsure if this Huaisang was the same as the Huaisang he knew. It was unnerving to see the carefree, shining eyes seem so dark and lacklustre. He hadn't realised how much pressure Huaisang had put on himself or know for how long this had been going on and now he didn't know if there was a way to fix this.

"There's no changing your mind, is there?" Huaisang shook his head in answer. "If that's what you want, then so be it." Guangyao sighed before taking another sip of his tea.

There was a few moments of tea sipping silence that was eventually broken by Huaisang.

"So, Is Qin Su still available?" He asked. Guangyao spit out his tea and shot the man a death glare.

"That's my fucking sister!"

---------

I'm back!!!