The Remaining Two (Pt.1)

A month later.

Out of all the people Xichen had known in his life, everyone loved to compare two specific ones. This was only because of one thing they had in common, their lives both ended on their own terms.

However in Xichen's opinion, the people who compared them, were simply reaching for none existent threads to connect the two. They had nothing in common, because one was brave and strong to the very end and one was broken and saw no escape...

Those were the thoughts running through his head as he knelt at Nie Mingjue's grave next to Guangyao and lit incense for his long missed friend.

How could anyone compare Chifeng-zun to Xichen's little cousin? It was simply wrong for them to do so.

"I can't believe how long it's been..." Guangyao suddenly said in a hollow voice. Xichen looked over at him, seeing the guilt shining through his eyes, despite him trying to hide it.

"These past five years have been quiet without him." Xichen smiled softly at Guangyao who still had clouds behind his eyes. "5 years and yet you still cannot forgive yourself."

"I don't deserve it." Guangyao spat looking down at his hands making Xichen sigh.

"Mingjue would have forgiven you. He said it himself that he understood what you were saying."

"I called him a coward... I said he was scum. I made him feel like he was abandoning Huaisang... And us... All he was trying to do, was make sure we were safe..." Guangyao clenched he'd his fist and cursed himself mentally.

He had been coming to visit Huaisang for years, yet he had never been able to face Mingjue's grave. It was only when Xichen asked him to go with him did Guangyao say yes and he was now regretting his decision. All the self hatred he had managed to bury within him had come to the surface. It wouldn't allow him to close it off again.

"How long must you treat yourself like this?" Xichen asked.

"Until the day I die!" Guangyao gasped his hands beginning to shake. "As far as I'm concerned, I'm the one that killed him! If it wasn't for my harsh actions he wouldn't have- He would still-"

"You're being a fool." Huaisang's voice said calmly from behind them. Neither of the two men had even realised he was there until he spoke and both were a little surprised by his tone. Huaisang didn't seem to care though, he continued to speak in a calming mature manner.
"Your argument with my brother wasn't what made him choose to end his life. It was the fact that, when you left, he wanted to chase after you and kill you." Huaisang said making both men's eyes widen.

"What?" Guangyao blinked.

"Da-ge's qi deviation had gotten so bad, that your argument made him want to harm you. When he finally calmed down he realised how close he had come and decided he couldn't let it continue. It wasn't the first time either, it had happened with other people, including myself. So, he decided to end it before he got out of control." Huaisang explained though his words didn't seem to have any effect on Guangyao.

"Still, the last thing I said to him-"

"We all said it to him at some point and he chose to go through with it in the end. It was his decision. It wasn't forced upon him by anybody and he knew what he was doing. It would be pointless to blame yourself for someone else's choices."

"When did you get so mature?" Guangyao mumbled softly as he looked down at the ground again. Xichen smiled next to him, a strange pride had filled his heart while he had listened to Huaisang. It was easy to forget that he was also a sect leader. Even easier to forget that he grew up with Nie blood. It was rare that he actually showed that side of him.

"I'm a grown man, Guangyao, and I'm only months younger than you, so stop treating me like I'm some annoying teen." Huaisang shot back, making all the pleasant thoughts fade from Xichen's mind. He sighed as Guangyao went to talk back.

"Shall we have some tea?" He asked before the two younger men could start bickering. "It's been awhile since we've all had the chance to catch up."

"That would be lovely Xichen-ge. I'll have a maid bring some to the tea room for us." Huaisang agreed.

The three of them began to make their way inside in silence mostly. However as they walked Xichen couldn't stop himself from glancing behind him at his friend's grave.

If only fate wasn't so cruel... 

---<~>---

"Are you asking me out romantically or is this just an invite for drinks?" Xichen asked the tall man who was standing next to him.

"I suppose it's romantically. We're not getting any younger and I'm sick of trying to figure out my thoughts." Mingjue said his gaze fixed on the night sky, stars twinkling in his eyes. Xichen smiled to himself eyes also wondering to the sky.

"This is quite unlike you Mingjue. You've always been forward, but never with what you truly want." He said making the taller man scoff.

"You make me sound like a mystery. You and I both know sect leader duties don't allow for stuff like that." 

"I suppose not..."

There was silence for awhile as both men stood together enjoying the comfort of each other. However as time passed Mingjue grew a little impatient and sighed. He turned to look over at Xichen who was already waiting for him to start speaking.

"So? Would you like to have dinner with me? Just the two of us?" He asked again making the man in white grin.

"I would love to, but before we do there is one thing you need to do first."

"And that is?"

"Spend some time with Huaisang and get to know him. Maybe then you'll stop stressing about what will happen to your clan once you're gone." Mingjue frowned at the man's words.

"What about our dinner?"

"We will get there. One night is all I'm asking for now, and another night before our next dinner. Is that a problem?"

Mingjue sighed, but a smile still managed to sneak it's way onto his face. He nudged Xichen gently with his elbow while laughing softly.

"How are you both too cruel and too kind at the same time?"

"It's a skill I have developed well over the years. Maybe I'll teach it to you some time." Xichen smiled too, bumping Mingjue back with his shoulder.

---<~>---

Fate truly was cruel...