Hanging Tree Night Hunt (Pt.4)

Claws slashed through the air, dragging Zizhen away with a scream. A-Yuan reacted quickly. Drawing his sword and sending it flying in the direction of the commotion. The blade connected with rotting flesh and a mouldy arm fell to the floor. It's owner roared with rage. 

Zizhen scrambled to his feet, also drawing his sword and pressing his back to A-Yuan's while panting heavily. Corpses materialised from the walls and ran at them with surprising speed. A-Yuan called his sword back quickly and knocked back three while Zizhen took care of another two. But even as the boys fought back, more still came and the situation wasn't any better on the other side.

Just then something grabbed the back of A-Yuan's leg and the boy turned to see awful red corpses and demons crawling out of the blood pool. A look of pure bloodlust on every single one of their faces. At the same time, a few of the corpses A-Yuan had turned his back too, took the chance to lunge at him.

A-Yuan spun around just in time to protect himself, but that didn't stop some sharp claws cutting open the skin on his chest as he was knocked down.

"Sizhui!" Zizhen yelled trying to get to the younger boy. However he too was sent flying backwards when dead fingers wrapped around his collar and through him. A-Yuan watched in horror as his friend hit the wall and slumped down, but there was nothing he could to do to help. He was pinned down. His sword the only thing separating him from the corpse that had him pinned down. What the hell was he supposed to do!? 

In his panic he had drowned out the sounds for the other battle. The one taking place on the other side. He couldn't hear the yells of his companions or the sounds their swords made as they flew through the air and cut down monsters. He couldn't hear a thing except for his pounding heart in his ears and his own shaking breath. The corpses mouth was silent as it snapped in front of his face. Everything was silent. Yet that silence was so loud it was suffocating.

A-Yuan's feet kicked out. The muscles in his arms ached. His blood rushed through his ears like a river. He couldn't breath. He couldn't think. He didn't know what to do...

A high whistle caught his attention. Pulling his senses in the direction opposite. Forcing him to focus in and listen despite how staggered and cracked it was. As he listened the high whistle turned into a tune. One of dead calm despite the situation. One that filled the heart with fire. One that A-Yuan knew well.

~~~(#)~~~

9 years ago

"Now, now A-Yuan, there's no need to be afraid of them. They're only corpses. Nothing more than dead humans." Wei Ying smiled at the young boy. 

"But they look creepy!" Seven-year-old A-Yuan whined.

"Wen Ning looks creepy, but you're not afraid of him!" Xue Yang teased as he kicked a rock at one of the walking corpses. "No offense Wen Ning." He added.

"None taken." Wen Ning muttered with a small smile at the ground. Wei Ying just rolled his eyes at the 10-year-old boy before turning back to his son.

"I promise A-Yuan, they're not going to hurt you. Here, I'll show you."

He stood up and picked up the black flute tied to his waist. A-Yuan stared in awe as he watched his father press it to his lips and begin to play.

The tune was fierce, filled with so many emotions, yet completely wordless. It told a story without trying. A warrior and his men. They lost, they learned and they fought. There was a point in the tune when the warrior fell and it was like it was coming to the end. Yet after a second of silence the tune picked up in an amazing turn that made A-Yuan's tiny heart swell.

Throughout the song, the corpses A-Yuan had once been scared of, acted out what he saw in his mind and he laughed happily as he watched them... 

~~~(#)~~~

Never once did he think this song could be used for anything other than entertainment. Not once did it occur to him that the emotions in the song could be channelled into other things. Yet as he listened the the notes his father played on the other side of the cave. He found it just made sense. 

This song, he had learned, was from Yunmeng and had words for it. Powerful words, that spoke of war and hate and pride, but overall, spoke of trust. A-Yuan had learned these words years ago, but they had slipped his mind over time. However as he listened and as he struggled, they all came flooding back.

The corpses jaw snapped. A-Yuan's body ached. His friend was in trouble and he needed to do something. With a great heaving breath A-Yuan shoved the corpse pinning him to the ground, off of him. It roared. Several others charged at him, but A-Yuan forced the thought of them out of his mind and focused on the sound of his father's music. 

He started with a hum. It rang from his throat like an echo and for a moment everything seemed to stop when it heard him. Then he took in a breath and the words fell off his tongue with all the power he had. He didn't want to control them. He didn't want them to follow him. He just wanted them to leave him and everyone else alone.

The corpses listened to his intent filled words and his father's powerful tune until almost all of them stood at the edge of the blood pool on each side. Their blank faces staring and their bodies barely moving. A-Yuan felt relived at the sight of them lined up their, ready to fall in and be destroyed. It would all be over with just one more verse!

"Wei Ying look out!"