Wei To Go Again (Pt.4)

A-Yuan spent a week copying out the Lan rules under Hanguang-jun's supervision. After their first meeting, no other words about the situation were exchanged and they mostly in silence. However after that day Wei Yuan decided he was done with everyone's shit and acted more like himself.

He continued studying out of spite and always had the answer when Lan Qiren called upon him. It made him feel unashamedly smug when the old man's ears turned red and he quickly went back to his lecture. Wei Yuan also stopped letting the other disciples bully him. He was done being civil. If they threw shit at him during class then he would throw it back at them. It helped that Lan Qiren no longer acted biased and Wei Yuan assumed Hanguang-jun had had a conversation with him about it despite Wei Yuan asking him not to.

There had been a couple of incidents when some of the other disciples would try and pull something and Wei Yuan knocked them on their asses. Like for instance: When they were training and some guy for the Jin sect tried to rush A-Yuan while he wasn't looking. Wei Yuan ended up throwing him over his shoulder and the guy landed at young master Jin's feet. 

"I'm pretty sure that belongs to you." Wei Yuan said to Jin Ling coldly and then walked away.

---<~>---

It was now the final day of Wei Yuan's punishment. Lessons had finished a few hours ago and A-Yuan was sitting with Hanguang-jun like always. 

The sun was setting outside the window even though it was still early. The days were getting shorter as winter approached. Wei Yuan couldn't help but notice how much colder Gusu was then Yiling. 

The boy let out a small yawn as he finished writing on one of his pieces of parchment and placed it out of the way. Hanguang-jun looked up at him carefully as he did so and Wei Yuan smiled softly at him in return. He then went back to writing when the door to the room suddenly burst open.

"Hanguang-jun! The concealed spirits have escaped!" A Lan disciple panted frantically. Wei Yuan's head shot up at his words and Hanguang-jun was already on his feet. 

Every sect had a sealed room where they stored dangerous souls that couldn't be destroyed. It was mandatory and every single one was heavily guarded. For one of these rooms the let the spirits out meant someone had messed with it. It also meant someone had let hundreds of aggressive, evil spirits out and they were now attacking the residents of the cloud recess. If any of them escaped to the nearby towns then the repercussions would be catastrophic. Hundreds of innocent people would die. 

"Alert my brother." Hanguang-jun ordered to the disciple who promptly took off running, while Hanguang-jun went in the other direction, towards the loud sound of fighting.

Wei Yuan rushed after him. He couldn't just sit in the library and do nothing. He knew he could help, so he followed Lan Wangji towards the battle. He was lucky he had his sword on him. He never normally did. He just felt like bringing it along with him today. 

Hanguang-jun glanced at the boy as he caught up. He wanted to tell him to go back and stay in the library where it was safe. He would never forgive himself if something happened to Wei Yuan and he knew Wei Ying would never forgive him if his son died on his watch. But Lan Zhan also knew that the kid was exactly like his father and wouldn't listen even if he was told to hide. Lan Zhan could only try and keep an eye on the boy.

As they rushed up the path the shouts of battle got louder and louder and a few disciples had even run past them in their haste to join the fight. Somewhere on the path they ran into Lan Jingyi and Jin Ling. They were both battling a high level ghost at the two approached.

When He saw them, Wei Yuan unsheathed his sword and ran to help out. The ghost slashed it's clawed hand through the air, making Jingyi and Jin Ling take a step back. It gave A-Yuan the perfect opening to go in with his blade and take it to the floor. There was then the sound of Guqin strings and the creature froze in place, then faded as it was sucked into a spirit pouch.