Hanging Tree Night Hunt (Pt.7)

He was never going to get used to this. No parent would ever get used to the feeling of watching their kid fall on the brink of death over and over again. No parent would let it happen over and over again and yet here Wei Ying was... Watching his son fall because of something he caused... and this time, there was nothing he could do. They were separated. There was no access. He couldn't reach him...

"Sizhui! Sizhui!" Zizhen was screaming as he lowered his friend to the floor. "Hey! Wake up!" He shook the younger boy, although he knew there was no point.

Sizhui wasn't breathing and his heart wasn't beating. Black liquid oozed from his mouth and his veins were turning black right before Zizhen's eyes. He had no idea what to do. He had no idea what was going on.

Since the shock wave none of the monsters or corpses or demons had gotten back up or appeared on their side, but Zizhen didn't have time to relax. Sizhui was dead! Or well... Dying! He had to do something!

He quickly moved Sizhui onto his back and tilted his chin. They had gone over this at the Cloud Recess and even in training at home! He just needed to get his heart pumping! Zizhen placed his hands on Sizhui's chest and prepared to start compressions when suddenly a shout rang out from the other side.

"Don't! Don't touch him! You'll make it worse!" Wei Wuxian screamed and Zizhen froze.

"What do you mean, make it worse!? Wei Ying what the fuck is going on!?" Jiang Cheng asked but Wei Ying ignored him.

"If his blood starts pumping then it will only spread and kill him faster! He... He needs Qi energy!" He yelled to Zizhen who nodded quickly and picked up Sizhui's wrist.

Zizhen wanted to cry when he felt the lack of pulse under his fingers, but he pushed his feelings down and began to share his power. Though he was using as mush as he could, it still didn't seem like it was enough and tears began to fill his eyes.

"Nothing is happening!" He cried, nut at that same moment there was a low moaning sound and several of the knocked down corpses on the other side began to stand up.

"Shit" Wei Ying cursed. A corpse lunged at him and he dodged, but that also meant he had to back away from the edge. He could just make out the image of the young boy in green panicking over his son's body and felt his distress increase. "The kid's power isn't going to cut it!" He grumbled.

Just then there was a flash of white and for a moment Wei Ying thought a god descended. However after a few moment he realised that it wasn't a god, but rather Lan Zhan. The man had taken an massive jump, infused with power, into the air and somehow barely managed to land on the other side. The two men exchanged looks for a second before both turning back to their respective situations. Wei Ying could feel a slight relief now that Lan Zhan had made it over, but it was only going to last for a few seconds. Even if A-Yuan was now going to get Qi energy there was still the other thing he needed...

"Hanguang-jun!" Zizhen breathed. "I-I'm trying, but nothing is happening!" He was crying now. A mixture of exhaustion, fear and panic.

Lan Zhan felt a wave of pity come over him and he gently patted the boy's head.

"You did a good job. Now let me take over." Zizhen nodded softly and moved out of the way so that Lan Zhan could sit down.

As he looked at Wei Yuan's pale body he felt his blood run cold. He couldn't understand how such a lively child, who used to cling to people's legs, could suddenly turn into a lifeless shell of a person, with black veins and sunken skin. It was like he was decaying even as he watched.

With a shaky breath Lan Zhan reached out and pressed his fingers to Wei Yuan's wrist. Transferring his energy to the boy.

He had a lot more that Zizhen and the effects of this were visible within seconds. The blackness in Wei Yuan's veins started to clear and his skin began to get pinker. However he still wasn't breathing. Nor was his body getting warmer.

Wei Ying's fist connected with the cheek of a corpse and it went crashing to the ground. He had been trying to get to the edge again for a few minutes, but corpses kept attacking him. He needed to get over there soon or else Lan Zhan's efforts would be in vein. A-Yuan's window of opportunity was closing.

Another corpse lunged at him and Wei Ying tried to dodge but ended up getting grabbed. He kicked out with his leg but the corpse wasn't letting go. It opened its month wide, preparing to bite when suddenly there was a slashing sound and the corpse fell.

Wei Ying turned to see Jin Zixuan standing in front of him, panting a little.

"You protected my son... I'll help you save yours." He said and for probably the first time in his life. Wei Ying felt immense respect for Jin Zixuan.

Together to tow of them charged through the crowed of corpses. Jin Zixuan cutting them down to make a path for Wei Ying and eventually the made it to the edge.

"Can you jump?" Zixuan asked and Wei Ying looked out at the distance.

"Doubt it." He answered angrily.

"Good thing I'm here." Came Jiang Cheng's voice. "I've always wanted to throw you."

"Haven't we all?" Zixuan mumbled.

After a look from Wei Wuxian the two of them cupped their hands and allowed him to step into them. Together they conjured their power and began counting once they got to three the two of them used all their strength to send Wei Ying into the air while Wei Ying used his power to keep himself up as long as he can.

His landing in the other side was messy, but he didn't waste anytime getting to A-Yuan's side.

"I'm here! I'm here!" He panted...