Mixed Signals (Pt.3)

"Are you the disciples sent from the Yiling Demon Sect?" The black clan man asked while staring at Xue Yang who was flirting unashamedly with the other man.

"Is that what they're calling us now? Sounds classy." A-Qing said with a smug smile. Xuanyu let out a sigh and walked over to Xue Yang and grabbed the back of his collar to  drag him away from the man in white.

"That's us." He smiled through his annoyance with his sect mate. "My name is Mo Xuanyu. This is Xue Yang and that is A-Qing. I hope we can work well together." 

"As do we. I'm Song Lan, this is Xiao Xingchen, we're from a smaller sect up north." The man in black explained.

"Oh I've heard of you two!" A-Qing yelped. "You guys are rising stars. A tourist got drunk in one of the taverns and went on and on about them for at least an hour." She explained to Xuanyu and Xue Yang when they gave her confused looks.

"I must not have been there. I'm sure if I was, I wouldn't have forgotten such a pretty name." Xue Yang winked at Xiao Xingchen. Xuanyu rolled his eyes as a vicious monster roared inside him and tried to change the topic.

"So do you have a plan on how you want to go about this, or are we just winging it?" He asked Song Lan because looking at Xiao Xingchen meant watching Xue Yang flirt. To his distaste Xiao Xingchen was the one that answered.

"We were actually wondering if there was a specific way you wanted to handle this. We've never worked with demonic cultivators before." He said. A-Qing snorted.

"We never have a plan. We just go in swords blazing and hope we don't die." She laughed. The corner of Xuanyu's lips twitched as he saw the look of surprise and the two men's faces. 

"That makes us sound unprofessional, but it really does work for us." He explained. "There's no point going in with a plan, only to end up panicking when it goes south."

"That's... understandable." Song Lan mumbled.

"Just to be clear, it's not always like this. However we do not have enough information on the situation to be fully prepared for whatever may come at us." Xuanyu went on while everyone listened intently. "I'd personally suggest that we get rid of all the corpses first, so that the corpse dust isn't as much of a problem when we find the demon nest." 

The two older cultivators nodded and exchanged a look.

"You're quite young. I'm surprised with how well you are handling this." Song Lan mentioned and Xuanyu instantly felt Xue Yang's mood change next to him.

Xue Yang was easy to piss off when you used the right words. He especially hated being underestimated and looked down upon.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He spat, but Xuanyu placed a soft hand on his shoulder to stop him getting right in the man's face.

"I was just pointing out that you are exceptional junior disciples." Song Lan explained, but Xue Yang's rage only got worse. Though Xue Yang was only 19 he and Xuanyu were no longer classes as junior disciples anymore, due to their immense experience.

---<~>---

"I don't like him." Xue Yang mumbled as he walked ahead with Xuanyu.

"Yeah well you seem to like his partner pretty well." Xuanyu glared and Xue Yang frowned at him.

"I was just messing around! What the hell is your problem at the moment!?" He whisper shouted, but Xuanyu just shook his head and walked away.

He didn't know how to explain what he was feeling. For the longest time Xuanyu had been convincing himself that Xue Yang was only interested in women and that the only reason he was so touchy with him was because he wore makeup. But now he knew Xue Yang was interested in men. He just wasn't interested in him...

Xuanyu mentally scolded himself for being so naïve, just as A-Qing came and paced herself with him.

"You're bitchy at the moment." She lifted an eyebrow and stared at him. Xuanyu huffed.

"I've been dropping hints for almost two fucking years. I've been convincing myself he wasn't into men and now the prick goes and does this shit! I've had enough!" He grumbled and A-Qing gave him a sympathetic smile. 

"He's just dense. Give him a little more time." She suggested but Xuanyu just shook his head.

"I'm sick of waiting. I'm almost 20. I don't want to spend the start of my adult life waiting for my teenage crush to notice my feelings. It's not like it's important right now anyway. Let's just focus on Yi city and get this over with." A-Qing sighed but didn't press any further and they continued their walk in silence, until they made it to the entrance of Yi city.

A large cloud of white hung over the buildings like smoke and the group covered their mouths and noses the minute they saw it.

"Fuck..." Xuanyu muttered through his sleeve.

"That's a lot of corpse powder." Xue Yang finished his sentence from where he stood with Xiao Xingchen.

"Damn right it is." Song Lan agreed.            

------

Short one today because I've got to watch my cousins again and they're super distracting. Hope you enjoy. Should be more entertaining tomorrow.