A Yunmeng Reunion (Pt.5)

"You did not!" Nie Huaisang gasped as Wei Wuxian talked about one of his adventures from a few years ago.

"Damn right I did! I had to be cool in front of my disciples!" Wei Wuxian laughed.

It was the fourth day of their visit and the four adults were having drinks at a tavern. Of course Lan Zhan wasn't drinking, but he found it quite amusing watching the other three. They were well into their drinks by now. Each of them visibly flushed and tipsy.

"I still find it unnerving to think of you as a sect leader." Jiang Cheng said as he finished taking another sip from his cup. Nie Huaisang chuckled and nodded his head in agreement.

"To think that out of the four of us, Hanguang-jun was the one who didn't become sect leader." He added and Wei Wuxian laughed.

"It's quite the surprise since he was the most straight laced out of all of us." Wei Ying grinned.

"My brother is perfectly suited for the role. There is no need for me to take over." Lan Zhan said softly. The three others nodded in agreement and all took sips from their drinks.

"You know," Wei Wuxian slammed his cup down on the table and pointed at the two sect leaders with a teasing glare.
"You two seem closer than I remember. Did I miss something while I was away?" He asked.

Nie Huaisang blushed obviously. While Jiang Cheng took a swig from his glass. Wei Wuxian knew the question had touched a nerve and loved it.

"You have to be civil with each other." Jiang Cheng shrugged.

"Especially with all the conferences Jin Zixuan is hosting. I think a majority of the sect leaders share close relationships." Huaisang explained.

"Sure, sure." Wei Wuxian nodded and let the silence settle. After a few seconds he turned to Lan Zhan excitedly. "Lan Zhan! You should have a cup!" He said and tried to pass Lan Zhan a cup of alcohol.

Lan Wangji held up a hand in polite refusal, bit Wei Wuxian persisted.

"Oh come on! What's the harm in one cup?"

"You'd be surprised." Jiang Cheng mumbled making everyone look at him. "Lan Xichen mistook my glass for his." He explained.

This instantly interested Wei Ying. He leaned forward with his chin resting on his palm.

"Do go on." He grinned.

"To put it simply. The Lans are a sect of lightweights."

Wei Wuxian burst into laughter. Slapping his hand on the table way too enthusiastically. Even Huaisang cover his face with his fan to hide his own giggle. Jiang Cheng had a rare smile on his face too. He seemed amused at the mere memory of Lan Xichen drinking alcohol.

"Honestly, I'm pretty sure A-Ling could out drink him and that kid is almost as bad as his father." He said making Wei Wuxian laughed harder.

"Yanli's genes didn't quite make it through there, huh?" He snorted.

"Not at all." Jiang Cheng chuckled. His drink had finally kicked in and he was becoming less uptight.

Wei Wuxian stared happily at his brother for a moment. It was nice to finally see him relax. He was such a prideful person that Wei Wuxian worried about the stress that caused. Hew could tell that Huaisang had a hand in that. They might say it was due to conferences but it was obvious that they were close friends.

"Nie-xiong, I heard you were on the hunt for a bride. How is that going?" Wei Wuxian asked. Though he hadn't been directly involved with the cultivation world for several years, gossip travels fast.

The news of an esteemed sect leader looking for a wife spread especially quickly. A few women from Yiling even stepped forward themselves, but evidently they were rejected.

Nie Huaisang sighed and fanned himself softly.

"Not well honestly. They are all wonderful women, but I just don't find myself wanting to marry any of them." He answered.

"I don't see why you need a wife." Jiang Cheng mumbled from his seat next to Huaisang.

"Ah, so that's why you're still single." Wei Wuxian nodded his head in understanding and earned a glare from Jiang Cheng.

"I'm contempt for now." He growled.

"As am I!" Huaisang groaned. "But I'm not getting any younger and my sect needs an heir." He explained.

"Why not just train one of your disciples?" Wei Wuxian asked curiously.

"Issues have come up in my sect over the years. It's hard to know who to trust." Huaisang answered.

Wei Wuxian nodded. News of the betrayals had also spread to Yiling. It happened in a series, form several different clans. Sect leaders reported important documents missing and several high ranking disciples injured. Masked people had gone around attacking those close to the sect leaders. These events actually took just before Nie Mingjue died. Some believed that the stress helped bring his death closer. Though he tried not to show it, Wei Wuxian was sure Huaisang was one of these people.

The atmosphere was heavy now. No one really knowing what to say to the other. Wei Ying hadn't been there so he didn't know the impact those past incidents had on the other three. He could guess that it was far more serious than the rumours let on because of what Huaisang said. There was also the thing that A-Yuan had told him. Wei Wuxian was the first person to receive a jade token to the Cloud Recess in 4 years. Not to mention the fact that security in Yunmeng was far tighter than he could remember.

After a few moments the quietness finally got to him. Wei Wuxian grabbed his drink suddenly and downed it in one go before grabbing Lan Wangji's arm and grinning.

"Let's go for a walk!" He yelled happily also grabbing Jiang Cheng on his way out the door.

"Ya! We have to pay!" The purple clad man shouted while trying to get out of his brother's grip.

"Add it to his tab bar keep! Thanks for the drinks!" Wei Ying laughed.

The man behind the counter, who was drying a cup, smiled watching the four of them leave. It had been a long time since such a lively person had indulged in his liquor. 10 years to be precise.

"They might have grown up, but they are still the same youngsters I remember." He chuckled to himself. "It's good to have you back Wei Wuxian."