A Healing Breeze (Pt.3)

Later that day Wei Wuxian was sitting in the main hall of the Blood Palace. He was bent over a scroll, recounting the events of the night for other sects to read in the future. He wanted them to have access to the information they didn't, so that they could avoid injuries and such a drawn out fight.

Lan Zhan was with him. The man sat quietly, only speaking to help remind Wei Ying of key parts of the battle. Though Wei Ying had told him that he could leave if he wanted, Lan Wangji didn't. Instead he sipped some tea and watched the other man as he carefully made his notes. He took in every detail of the man's face without the other knowing.

He watched his long lashes flutter, and the way his long hair fell onto the pages as he scribbled. He admired his delicate, long figures that held the brush and the way Wei Ying's teeth would nibble on his lip when he concentrated. It reminded him of their days back in Gusu, when Wei Ying had to copy the rules as a punishment and Lan Zhan had to supervise him. Except this time Wei Ying wasn't talking nearly as much and his handwriting had significantly improved.

Wei Wuxian continued to write for a few more minutes and then finished. With a huff he put down his brush and grabbed his cup of tea to take a sip.

"I gotta tell you Lan Zhan, being a responsible sect leader isn't easy." He said as he looked out over the room.

Wei Wuxian said 'sect' a little sarcastically and Lan Zhan knew it was because he thought his small group of teenagers didn't quite classify as a sect, but they had on other name for it. This was also why they didn't have an official sect name like Gusu Lan, Yunmeng Jiang, Lanling Jin and the others. Wei Wuxian had explained years ago that he didn't feel comfortable using his name. Yiling Wei sect or clan didn't sound right, so they opted for no name until they could think of something better. It was a very Wei Wuxian solution. Lan Zhan thought.

Just then the doors to the hall opened and a man from the Wen village entered. He had on red and black robes with accents of white mixed in. A style they had adopted just before the death of Jiang Yanli. The man bowed politely to Lan Zhan men and then turned to address Wei Ying.

"Master Wei, sect leader Lan is here and would like to speak with you." He said calmly. Wei Ying raised his eyebrows and looked over at Lan Zhan.

"Zewu-jun is here?" He questioned softly and then went back to the man. "Please send him in. I'm sure he'll have some questions."

The man bowed again and walked out of the room. Lan Zhan stared at Wei Ying for a few seconds. It was so strange to see the man being serious. He didn't even grin when he spoke, only gave clear instructions and got straight to the point.

The door slid open again and a tall man with broad shoulders entered the hall. Both Wei Wuxian and Lan Zhan stood up the former bowing to the newcomer. Lan Xichen smiled and held up a hand to stop Wei Ying.

"No need Wei-gongzi." He said cheerily. At his words Wei Ying relaxed slightly and smiled.

"Brother." Lan Zhan called to Lan Xichen. "Why have you come here?" He asked.

"I decided to visit Yunmeng on my back from Lanling. I heard Jingyi had gone on a night hunt with sect leader Jiang, so I thought I would stop by and collect him. However, when I arrived at Yunmeng this morning none of them had returned. A Jiang disciple told me that the night hunt had left a few of them injured and that they would be staying at Yiling for another day, so I decided to come here instead of going back to Gusu. I hope you don't mind Wei-gongzi." Lan Xichen explained patiently.

"Not at all Zewu-jun." Wei Ying grinned.

"I must say, though. I didn't expect you to be here Wangji." Xichen said to his brother.