A Yunmeng Reunion (Pt.4)

Jin Ling yawned tiredly from where he lay on his bed. Now that he had eaten, all of his energy seemed to have disappeared. Jingyi was in a similar state. Jin Ling couldn't tell if the Lan boy was asleep or not as he lay at his feet.

Next to him was Zizhen who had fairy curled up against his chest as he played with Jin Ling's ponytail. Above them sat Sizhui. His back against the head bored of the bed. His eyes scanning the pages of a novel Zizhen had leant him.

It was peaceful. Relaxing... All of them together. Letting themselves soak in the scene environment after a long day of swimming.

Jin Ling felt his eyelids grow heavy. His breathing slowed. The warm fuzzy feeling in his chest spreading through his body. Zizhen's fingers continued to softly play with his hair. It was so soothing...

"Do you ever think about the future?" Zizhen's question filled the tranquil silence of the room. Jin Ling's eyes opened tiredly and he glared up at the ceiling.

"Sometimes..." Jingyi answered. He clearly hadn't been asleep like Jin Ling suspected. "Why do you ask?"

"No reason really..." Zizhen said, his hand still running through Jin Ling's ponytail. "I was just thinking about what we would do when we're all sect leaders." He explained.

"What do you mean 'when we're all sect leaders'?" Jin Ling asked as he sat up.

"Well there's obviously you and me. Sizhui will take over the demon sect and since Zewu-jun officially recognises Jingyi as his son, Jingyi will probably be the next Lan sect leader." Zizhen stated. "We're a group of future sect leaders."

"Woah hold on." Jingyi sat up quickly and stared at the oldest boy. "I'm not going to be the next sect leader. Everyone knows there are far better disciples who suit the role more. And besides the clan elders raised me, they all know I'm not fit for the role." He said. Zizhen shrugged a little.

"I think you'd be great as the next Lan sect leader." He mumbled.

"It would definitely be a change." Jin Ling agreed. 

Jingyi's face flushed red and he looked down at his hands. Jin Ling felt a smile curl on his lips at the older boy's reaction. When Jingyi couldn't say anything back, Jin Ling felt triumphant. As much as the two of them bickered and mocked each other. Jin Ling couldn't deny that Jingyi being the next Lan sect leader seemed right. That clan needed a change of pace. Who better to lead them than the most un-lan-like Lan?

"I won't be a sect leader either." Sizhui suddenly said after he put down his book. 

The three of their head shot in his direction. This was a genuine shock. Jingyi not being sect leader was a likelihood throughout their lives. Up until not long ago he was just an ordinary disciple. Wei Sizhui, however, was Wei Wuxian's son even before the Yiling Demon sect was founded. There was no doubt that in their minds that he would take over from his father like Zizhen and Jin Ling.

"Why not?" Jin Ling blurted out a little rudely. 

He couldn't help but wonder if it had something to do with the secrets he was sure the older boy was keeping. Why wouldn't someone pass on their sect to their son? Why would they go out of their way to break such a tradition and not keep it in the bloodline or with the name? I just struck him as odd.

Sizhui didn't seem to mind his tone and just smiled softy.

"I'm not suited. What's the point in forcing someone who won't be a good leader to run a sect? It's a waste of energy and potential really. Especially when Xuanyu-gege is far more suited to the role. He's a natural born leader." Sizhui said and Jin Ling gaped.

Mo Xuanyu!? His timid, cut-sleeve, uncle who ran away after letting himself get pushed around, was a natural born leader!? Were they thinking of the same person!?

"You should close your mouth Young Mistress. Don't want bugs flying in." Jingyi smirked and used a finger to push Jin Ling's jaw closed.

The golden boy glared, swatting his hand away and rounded on Wei Sizhui.

"You can't be serious!" He practically yelled. His raised voice started Fairy and she shot up from where she lay against Zizhen. The oldest boy yelped in pain as her back connected with his mouth and made him bite his tongue.

"I'm serious." Wei Yuan smirked. "Er-ge isn't the same person the Jin sect remembers." 

Jin Ling blinked softly. He knew it was wrong to judge Mo Xuanyu when he didn't know him personally. Everything he did know was based off of what people had told him. His father and uncle described him as a timid person, who didn't have much to speak about and didn't have much in power, but he was kind and sweet. 

The disciples just spoke of him like he was a joke. They never mentioned what had lead up to him leaving, but Jin Ling knew that it had everything to do with them just by the way they spoke about him. Despite this, he didn't feel sorry towards his estranged uncle, because he didn't know him. He didn't know what made a person just walk out on their family and sect. Which was also why he couldn't understand Wei Wuxian. 

With a sigh Jin Ling laid back down and closed his eyes. He was too tired to get into all of the details. So what if Sizhui wasn't taking over the demon sect. Good for him at least he'd be free. And good for Mo Xuanyu at least he gets his true potential realised.

"Are you tired Young Mistress?" Jingyi asked mockingly.

"Obviously." Jin Ling answered.

"Shall I spoon you?" The white clad boy offered.

"Touch me and I'll set Fairy on you."

Zizhen rolled his eyes with a small scoff. He crawled his way up the bed and took a seat against the head bored next to Sizhui. The latter boy had already picked up the novel and started reading again. Zizhen peered over his shoulder and let out a small gasp.

"Oh you're on that part." He breathed.

"Don't spoil anything." Sizhui grinned, trying to push Zizhen away so he wouldn't be tempted.

"I won't! I won't! Just let me read!" He laughed as he fought off Sizhui's hand.

"Fine! But don't say anything!" Sizhui pointed a figure at him threateningly, making the older boy snort.

"I already said I wouldn't."

Jin Ling watched the two of them with heavy eyes again. Sizhui glared playfully and got back into a comfortable position. Once he seemed contempt Zizhen carefully rested his chin on the younger boy's shoulder. Jin Ling was sure it was just his tired eyes playing tricks on him, but he thought he saw a shy smile curve Zizhen's lips when Sizhui didn't push him off.

That bitter feeling came back. Jin Ling rolled over, now face to face with Jingyi. The Lan boy raised his eyebrows at him curiously, but Jin Ling didn't want to talk. Without saying a word Jin Ling scooted slightly closer to the Lan boy and let himself drift off to sleep. Not caring about the shaky way Jingyi breathed at their sudden closeness.