What He Will Never Forget (WTGA Pt.11)

(DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE SENSATIVE TO THE TOPIC OF SOMEONE HARMING THEMSELF AND PUTTING THEIR LIFE IN DANGER)

When Jingyi woke up the next morning he noticed the door to his mother's bedroom was open. It was out of character for her to just leave it like that and in his 5-year-old little brain, he wondered if it was because she finally wanted to see him. After last night he wondered if she was starting to love him like other mother's did. Maybe she was waiting for him?

He happily rushed over to the room and pushed the door open with a big smile. His imagination had run wild, he was fully anticipating his mother to be sitting on her bed smiling back at him. When he ran in she would hold her arms open and he could have his first ever hug. He would have a mother!

The door swung and the little boy's face dropped. His mother wasn't sitting on her bed. She wasn't happy to see him. She wasn't waiting to give him a hug... She was hanging from the ceiling, her white headband wrapped around her neck, her eyes staring blankly down at the floor.

Jingyi stared up at her. He didn't know what was going on. He couldn't understand why his mother was looking at him, but not saying anything.

"Mama?" Jingyi called out softly and took a step closer. "Mama, what are you doing?" No answer... 

"Mama, why aren't you wearing your headband properly?" He reached out a hand and grabbed to bottom of her robes to shake her a little. There was still no answer.

"Mama are you not talking because A-Yi was bad?" Jingyi asked softly. "Mama, A-Yi's sowwy. I didn't mean to make you mad." Jingyi's eyes began to tear up when there continued to be silence and shook the hem of her robes harder.

"Mama, please say something! You're scaring me!" He whimpered. When there was still no replay he ran out of the room and to the front door. He reached for the handle and tried to push it open, but it was stuck. He let out a wail.

"Someone let me out!" He cried, but no one came. "Mama!" He ran back into the room and grabbed the woman's feet. "Mama! A-Yi's sowwy! Mama please say something! I'll stop being bad! I'll be quiet! I won't make people talk anymore! Mama please!" He clung to her feet like they were a life vest and began to ball his eyes out. 

Looking back he knew that a part of him was aware that she was dead, but just didn't want to accept it, because that meant he was actually alone.

The following weeks Jingyi spent sleeping in a ball under his mother's body in the hopes that she would start talking to him again. He would eat the same way he normally did and played with his toys on his mother's bed so that when she did start talking, she would be able to play with him. But eventually it reached the point were Jingyi had no food and was running out of water. He was finding it harder and harder to wait.

He spent hours just crying on his mother's bed, begging her to wake up and go and get food or something for him to drink. It got so bad that for a few days he ate bugs that made their way into the house. He only did it for a few days though, because after he ate a strange looking worm he got sick. His whole world spun and he passed out on the floor of his room. The last thing he could remember was wanting to go to his mother's room to see if she would finally talk to him and get him help, but he was too weak to stand and his lungs felt like they were deflating. He was so tired...

---<~>---

It had been a few weeks since his cousin had gone into seclusion and something was still nagging at the back of Lan Xichen's brain. He couldn't understand what it was or why it bothered him so much, but he decided to go and visit her house. It was ridiculous really because no one was there, but he still went and even got Wangji and his Shufu to come along.