Golden Brew Teahouse (Pt.1)

The Golden Brew Teahouse is a small building in Yiling Town that the locals love. It's quiet, quaint and serves some of the best tea Wei Wuxian has ever had the pleasure of tasting. For this reason he insists on bringing Lan Zhan there whenever the older man is in town and Lan Zhan doesn't mind, because he also agrees that the tea is wonderful, but also because he associates the place with the time he spends with Wei Ying.  

The two of them entered the building and were immediately greeted by the young woman who runs the teahouse. As the two of them are regulars she knows their faces well and grinned as she showed them to their regular table. As they sat down she gave an extra smile to Lan Zhan, which Wei Ying knew was her subtle way of flirting with him, but Lan Zhan always ignored her.

Once the young woman was gone Lan Zhan looked over at Wei Ying expectantly and the younger man chuckled softly.

"Go on then Lan Zhan, ask your questions." Wei Ying said gently.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine, fully recovered and my power is back to its usual strength, but Wen Qing insists on keeping me here for awhile." He explained as Lan Zhan listened intently.

"And Wei Yuan?"

Wei Ying sighed and looked down at his hands.

"He's still on bedrest, though he is trying to sneak out, and his power level is almost back to how it was before we went on the hunt. But Wen Qing says that his next birthday will most likely be his last... It's funny, if you didn't know how fragile his core is, then you'd assume he was completely fine. I mean he acts like he's completely fine. Apparently he doesn't even feel it, until it's too late." Wei Ying went on.

Lan Zhan took him in for a moment. Noticing his sad eyes and glum expression. He hated it. He hated everything about his situation. It wasn't fair for any of them.

"What about you Lan Zhan? How are you holding up?" Wei Ying asked, his expression changing to a smile, but his eyes still seemed sad. 

"I'm perfectly fine. I had no major injuries." Lan Zhan answered and Wei Ying seemed to lighten up a little.

"And what about Zewu-jun and Lan Jingyi?"

"My brother is fine. Jingyi had a few more serious injuries, but he's recovering quickly. There is no need to worry."

"That's good." Wei Ying sighed.

Just then the young woman returned and placed down a tray of their usual tea order. Both men thanked her and took a sip before returning to their conversation.

"So what else brings you here Lan Zhan? Surely it wasn't just to check up on our health. You could've just sent a letter if that was the case." Wei Ying grinned over his cup as Lan Zhan's ears turned slightly red.

"There is no other reason for my visit." The older man answered and Wei Ying felt his heart skip a beat again. Lan Zhan really had come all this way to see him? 

To hide his sudden blush, Wei Ying took a swig of his tea and could feel Lan Zhan's eyes burning into him. Wei Ying couldn't tell if he was being smug or not, which was odd because he could normally read Lan Zhan pretty well. Either way Wei Ying was quickly running out of drink and couldn't hide anymore.

With a sigh he put down his cup and looked up at the man who was still staring at him. Taking in his handsome features and serene expression. Fuck... Why did he have to be so perfect!?

"Has anyone ever told you, you're very handsome, Lan Zhan. I'm almost jealous." Wei Ying exclaimed. 

Lan Zhan blinked silently and took a sip of his drink before smiling.

"You have no need to be jealous Wei Ying. You're quite attractive yourself."

Wei Ying let out a dramatic gasp and slammed his hand down on the table with a grin.

"Was that a complement from the Hanguang-jun!? Is the world ending? Am I dreaming? Or is he making a joke!? I'll never know!" He teased and Lan Zhan continued to smile while taking another sip from his cup. 

Once he had put it back on the table he glanced at Wei Ying who was still being too dramatic to take notice and leaned forward. Wei Ying froze when he realised that Lan Zhan had closed the distance between them and gulped a little.

"Lan Zhan-"

"I do not joke about things that are true."

Wei Ying blinked for a moment unable to believe what he was hearing. Before he could stop himself a smile curled his lips and he leaned in too. Lan Zhan's ears burned, much to Wei Ying's satisfaction.

"Oh I know Lan Zhan. I just wanted to see what you'd say. I do like when you speak your mind, it makes my heart flutter."

Lan Zhan's cheeks flushed and he pulled back, taking a sip from his drink. Wei Ying laughed to himself, watching the man with his chin resting on his hand. It hadn't taken long for his shamelessness to kick back in and that meant he could now tease Lan Zhan as much as he wanted because the older man was so easy to get to.

However, before Wei Ying could continue his antics Lan Zhan spoke in a far more serious tone than expected. 

"Wei Ying, I think someone is trying to frame you. I'm concerned." 

"I'm already aware of the letters that were sent to Baling and Lanling and I'm choosing to ignore them for now. I've upset a lot of people over the years. I'm sure more than one of them would like to set me up. I've just got to wait to see who it is before I make a move." At the last part he grinned, but it wasn't a friendly grin.

Over the years Lan Zhan had seen it only a few times. At first it seemed odd, like it didn't belong on Wei Ying's face, because the man wasn't a cruel person. However now it seemed a little too natural. That was what demonics did to you. Even if it didn't mess with your mind to a serious extent. The enemies it gained you would give you a dark side. 

"Hey Lan Zhan, finish your drink, let's go on a walk." Wei Ying's attitude suddenly changed and Lan Zhan sighed.

"Eager to move?" He asked and Wei Ying nodded.

"We've been sitting here too long. There are too many people and the sun is shining. I'd like to continue our conversation outside."

Lan Zhan nodded and finished up his drink, placing some money on the table to pay for himself, before following Wei Ying. The younger man waved to the young woman before he left and she bowed. He didn't need to pay. Not when he was a sect leader and helped out a lot around the town. Lan Zhan bowed his head too and the woman blushed. Wei Ying rolled his eyes a little.

"Youngsters these days are captivated by you Lan Zhan." He huffed as Lan Zhan fell into step with him.

"Let them be. My heart belongs to someone else." Lan Zhan mumbled not intending for Wei Ying to hear, but he did.

"Oh yeah and who's that?" He asked.

Lan Zhan said nothing. Wei Ying would just have to wait to find out..