For The Best Health (Pt.2)

The two of them walked along the path towards the village. Leaving the woman and her children to rest in their makeshift hospital after Wen Qing had given the boy a dose of medicine.

Both of them were sure that their entrance would not be received well. They knew that they might even be attacked. However Wen Qing was determined and Wen Ning wasn't about to get in her way.

When first entering the village, not many people seemed to take interest in them as they walked past. Or so they thought. The closer the two siblings got to the square in the middle, the more they noticed people leaving their houses or opening their windows to get a look at them. The crowds around them all stumbled back to get away from them. And more than a few whispers could be heard going around.

"Are those Wens?" 

"Dirty scum like them don't belong here!"

"Murderers!"

"Ignore them, A-Ning." Wen Qing breathed gently to the corpse man. She noticed the way his face hardened and eyes darted around threateningly. He was preparing to fight. Waiting for any one of them to start it. With every step she could fee the tension rising. "Be calm." She whispered again, for both of their benefit.

A few minutes passed. The crowed got bigger, the whispers and muttering got louder, the glares got sharper. Yet despite this, Wen Qing still refused to turn around. She could see the pale faces, the shaking hands. She could hear the coughs through the voices, feel the heat coming off of the people. Sense the lack of energy. Her carefully trained eye could pick up every detail. Pinpoint exactly how bad each persons condition was. Only she could do this. In a matter of seconds, through all the chaos, she could scan a crowed and know exactly where she was needed.

"Help me up." She said to Wen Ning once they reached the square. They stood in front of a lone cart full of hay, no steed there to pull it and no one there to tend it. It was perfect, the perfect perch for her to speak.

At his sister's words Wen Ning offered his hand and carefully guided her to stand upon the carriage, looking down over the crowed. Wen Qing's long hair fluttered in the gentle breeze, her red and black robes swaying at her feet and her hard stare giving her a dethatched aura. Her just standing there shut everyone up. She didn't need to say anything. Her cold beauty spoke for itself.

"I am Madam Qing, I am a doctor. One of the best in my generation and it has come to my attention that your village may need my help." She addressed the crowed. Her words, clear, calm and formal. Leaving no room to question whether or not she was what she said she was.

"We don't need the help of Wen scum!" Someone shouted making some of the crowd nod and open their mouths to agree. Yet Wen Qing was quicker, she controlled the situation before it got out of hand,

"Then I will not force it upon you." She said, voice unwavering. "However, in these brief moments of being here I have noticed that many of you are sick. Your village is infected with a plague, that I know has taken far more than you want to let on. I can see it and I can treat it. So, those of you who are willing-"

"Get lost bitch!" The same man yelled. "We're not sick! We're just coughing because of your dirty Wen stink! Fuck off if you know what's good for you!"

Again a few people cheered in agreement, but many of the others stayed silent. One woman in the back even frowned in anger.

"You have no right to speak out on what we may or may not need!" The woman snarled at the shouting man and his group of supporters.
"My family is dying! My husband hasn't been able to stand for a week! And you think you have to right to refuse him medical attention!?"

"Of course not! Let's just get these fuckers on the road and ask someone else!" The shouty man shouted back at the woman.

"Who else!?" Another man yelled, his eyes as angry as the woman's. "We've reached out to all the leading sects and not one of their doctors are willing to come here! They aren't willing to risk it because of people like you!"    

"How dare you blame me! I haven't done anything!"

"Oh yeah!? Every time a cultivator passes through here, you and your band of drunkards go out and threaten, corner and torment them until they either lash out or ignore you. Then you have to audacity to play the victim and blame them!" The other man raged.

"It's not my fault I'm like this! If it weren't for those Wen cultivator bastards my grandfather wouldn't have died!" 

"You weren't even born then!" The woman yelled again.

Wen Qing blinked in mild surprise and looked down at Wen Ning, who was still on the floor. He looked back up at her and rolled his eyes.

"It's like something out of those novels A-Yuan and Xuanyu read." He mumbled, earning a small smile from his sister. Their attention was caught again when someone else jumped into the argument, which lead to more and more screaming and yelling until almost all of the crowed were and the verge of brawling.

Wen Qing clicked her tongue in annoyance. She thought that this little trip meant she wouldn't have to break up childish fights for awhile. Yet here she was... again... In all honesty the kids at Yiling weren't nearly as bad as this, so she was grateful for that. But it said a lot when teenagers, who were pumped up on fresh hormones, were better behaved than a village primarily made up of adults. She sighed.

"Enough!" Her voice carried, making them all freeze and look at her.
"I'm not here to watch a brawl, I'm here to treat the sick. I do not care if I'm welcomed or not. I do not care what relationship you have with other cultivation clans. I do not care if you hate me because of my bloodline or because of the current clan I help lead. I am here to do my job and treat those who need me. If you want my help, I am staying at the cottage just outside this village and I will be there for two weeks. Now if you want nothing to do with me, I suggest you stay away and let me work. Or else there will be bigger things to deal with than an illness. Have I made myself clear?"

There was a pause as Wen Qing scanned the crowed. Little to no reactions, but that was because they were scared of her tone and Wen Ning's harsh glare. She knew her words had been heard and that was all she needed. So, without sparing any other words, she signalled for Wen Ning to help her down and they walked off together. The village people still silent behind them.

---------

I'm so sorry I didn't update on boxing day. I came down with something while at my aunties for Christmas Day and we had to go home early. I'm doing better, just got some normal cold symptoms now, but I was in bed for the past few days.