Rouge Resentment

8 years ago.

It was a sunny day. A normal day. Especially for those in Yiling. Xue Yang and A-Yuan were playing outside. Wen Qing was treating patients. Wen Ning was helping around Wen Village and Wei Wuxian... Was stuck studying the Yin Tiger Tally at the edge of the blood pool as per usual.

The spiritual devise had been acting up as of late and Wei Wuxian wanted to know why. At first it had started as a small hobby of sorts. He would only spend a few hours a week analysing it, but now it was getting out of hand. He hadn't left his little corner near the blood pool for several days and was only eating when people brought him food. He was also ignoring everyone, or at least rushing their conversations so that thy would leave.

Wen Qing put it down to grief. Though Jiang Yanli had died three years prior, Wei Ying had forced himself not to mourn and was therefore paying for it. In his eyes anything that distracted him was good enough. He didn't care.

This state of mind was becoming tiring however. Especially for the Wen siblings who had been left to pick up where he was lacking. They were the ones watching the children and helping the village, despite Wei Ying swearing to them that he would help. He had hardly spoken to his son in a week and the boy was left under the impression he had done something wrong. Xue Yang was trying to cheer him up, but there was only so much he could do.

"A-Yuan, slow down I can't catch you!" Xue Yang huffed as he rested against a sprouting tree.

"That's the whole point in tag gege. You aren't supposed to catch me!" A-Yuan rolled his eyes walking over to where Xue Yang was, thinking that the game was over.

"Is that so?" Xue Yang grinned and before A-Yuan could run away the older boy grabbed him and lifted him off his feet. "Got you!" He yelled as A-Yuan squealed. 

"That's cheating!" A-Yuan giggled and it was Xue Yang's turn to roll his eyes.

"Is not. You're the one who walked over here." He pointed out as he set A-Yuan down.

"Cheater!" A-Yuan teased and Xue Yang grinned.

"Say that again you little brat! I dare you!"

"Cheater! Cheater! Cheater!" A-Yuan shouted and then squealed again when Xue Yang started tickling him. 

"I warned you! Now look what happened! You're on the floor defenceless from my attack!" Xue Yang laughed as the younger boy kicked out and giggled madly.

"No fair! You didn't say we could use weapons!" A-Yuan wined between laughter.

"What's going on here?" Said a low voice and the two boys looked up to see Wen Ning watching them. A-Yuan jumped up immediately and ran over to the corpse man while Xue Yang smiled at him.

"We were playing tag." The little boy answered.

"I won." Xue Yang added and A-Yuan stuck his tongue out at him.

"What are you doing Ning-shushu?" He asked, looking up at the man with big sparkly eyes.

"I was about to go and make food for your Baba. Would you like to help?"

"Yes! Yes please!" A-Yuan jumped excitedly and Wen Ning smiled as he scooped him up into his arms.

"What about you, A-Yang? Would you like to join us?"

"No thank you Wen Ning. I think I'll just go and help Wen Qing in the tent." The older of the two boys answered. Wen Ning nodded at him, before taking A-Yuan to Nana Wen's house to use the kitchen.

Inside they had a lot of fun. A-Yuan tried his best to help cook but only ended up making a mess and Wen Ning found himself apologising on the boy's behalf every five minutes. Nana Wen never minded though. She just enjoyed watching the two youngsters having fun together. Once the food was finished cooking Wen Ning helped A-Yuan place it neatly on a tray and take it to Wei Ying.

Nana Wen waved them off happily, especially since they had left her some food as well. A-Yuan was so excited to take the food to his father that Wen Ning had to tell him to slow down several times, but the boy didn't listen.

Just before they reached the blood pool they ran into Wen Qing and Xue Yang who were carrying supplies to Wen Qing's new infirmary. 

"What are you two doing?" She asked curiously when she saw them.

"Oh, just taking food to master Wei." Wen Ning answered with a soft smile. "Do you need any help moving things? I can come once I'm finished." He offered once he saw the amount they were carrying.

"We're fine." Wen Qing answered she went to say something else but was quickly interrupted by A-Yuan.

"Shushu, lets go!" He wined and Wen Ning sighed.

"In a minute, A-Yuan. Let me just finish talking to Qing-niang." The corpse man patted his head softly but A-Yuan didn't want to listen.

Before any of the other could stop him he took off running, giggling as he did.

"A-Yuan!" Wen Ning called half-heartedly after him. "That boy never listens to me..."

"He's only got eyes for his father. Shame it doesn't go the other way around at the moment." Wen Qing mumbled. "Anyway, as I was saying..."

A-Yuan paused just a few feet from where his father was working, wondering if it would really be okay to interrupt him. He didn't dwell for too long though. The food would go cold if he just kept standing there. Carefully A-Yuan shuffled over to his father and gently tapped the his back.

Wei Ying jumped slightly and looked down. He had bags under his eyes and was a little pale, but when he saw A-Yuan standing there with a tray full of food he smiled gently.

"A-Yuan! What a lovely surprise!" He grinned taking the tray from the boy.

"Me and Ning-shushu made it just for you Baba!" A-Yuan beamed and Wei Ying ruffled his hair.

"It's wonderful A-Yuan and I'm very grateful, but I need you to go now. It's not safe for you to be in here alone." Wei Ying explained softly. A-Yuan nodded in understanding and wrapped his father in a quick hug before turning to leave.

"I hope you love your food Baba!" The boy called and Wei Ying waved him off. Once he saw that A-Yuan was almost at the entrance he turned back to his work, trying to find that one line he had been studying in his notes, picking up a bun as he did.

However within seconds of his back turning, there was an awful cracking sound and a scream. Wei Ying's eyes went wide and he dropped the meat bun. Turning just in time to see A-Yuan's tiny form crumple to the floor.

"A-Yuan!" He screamed, dashing over to the boy, sheer panic taking over him.

He scooped his son into his arms and gasped as he watched this veins turn black before his eyes. He felt the boy's neck for a pulse but there was none, and no heartbeat either.

"A-Yuan!" He screamed again just as Wen Ning, Wen Qing and Xue Yang ran in. 

Wen Qing took one glance at the scene and quickly ran over to where Wei Ying held A-Yuan, tears streaming down his face.

"What happened!?" She asked also feeling for a pulse and pulling up his sleeves to see how far the blackness had spread.

"I don't know! I... I think the tally attacked him!" Wei Ying explained in a shaky voice.

"What happens when the tally attacks people?" She asked pulling up one of A-Yuan's eyelids.

"Your-Your-"

"Wei Ying!"

"Your golden core melts or shatters, I'm not sure." 

"Shit!" Wen Qing swore and closed her eyes for a few seconds. "Alright. Alright. Xue Yang get that box of stuff I was carrying." She said and Xue Yang quickly ran off. "Wei Ying, listen to me closely."