Chapter Twenty Three | Dushala's Marriage

The whole hall gasped at what just Duryodhan said

The whole hall gasped at what just Duryodhan said. Dushala to be married to Jaydrath?!? To most people it sounded so absurd meanwhile Drishti's gaze was fixated on Dushala who looked extremely horrified and pale. It looked like she would faint instantly.

"Not now Dushala, not now." Drishti murmured to the shocked girl beside her who was on the verge of tears. Dushala gulped heavily and blinked several times to push her tears back.

"Do you even know what you're saying Duryodhan?" Pitamah spoke up with sounding much offended by Duryodhan's offer. "Every girl of the royal families get to choose their husband in their swayamvar not like this! And out of all the rulers of Aryavrat you chose the ruler of Sindh? Hastinapur's enemy?"

"I know that we are not on good terms with Sindh kingdom Pitamah" Duryodhan said a bit rudely "And it sounds wierd also but there's no harm in trying to make amends with such a powerful kingdom! I just want Hastinapur to be more prosperous and powerful thats all! And if by offering Dushala's hand in marriage to the Ruler of Sindh we can do it, then why not?"

"Your son is out of his mind, Dhritrashtra!" Pitamah almost roared at the king who flinched, Duryodhan could be seen clenching his jaw while Drishti could see Nakul and Sahadev trying not to snicker across the hall.

Yudhistir stood up coming forward slowly "And I also think you should reconsider this decision of yours Duryodhan, if we try to form such an alliance with Sindh we might risk our relations with other kingdoms which are on good terms with us and are enemies of Sindh-"

"Try to take a positive look at it as well, Bhrata Yudhistir" Duryodhan interrupted sneering lowly throw gritted teeth "If we form relations with Sindh we will have more benefits than what we have been having while maintaing relations with the enemies of Sindh, there's a great benefit for Hastinapur-"

"And what about Dushala?" Drishti stood up gaining everyone's attention as she could no longer sit still while knowing her best friend beside her was sobbing internally. All the gazes turned towards her startled.

"What do you mean Drishti?" Duryodhan questioned with a little hint of politeness when referring to her. Drishti inhaled sharply before beginning to say "Is it so hard to understand? You want to form alliance with Sindh, cool, but what about Dushala's happiness? You didnt even ask her if she even wants to get married! You aren't supposed to take decision on her behalf Duryodhan-"

"That doesnt matter Drishti" Duryodhan interrupted her stiffly "All that matters is that if we succeed in this, Hastinapur will become even more powerful and besides that there is no question about Dushala's happiness, she will be the queen of one of the most powerful kingdoms of Aryavrat. What else would she have wanted? Right Dushala?"

Dushala was too overwhelmed to even utter a sound, Drishti knew that even if she tried to say anything, she will shatter into sobs like a glass, so Drishti considered herself to speak on her friend's behalf very well knowing that this is not what she wants.