Chapter Forty Eight

"Vrushali?"

"Vrushali?"

Drishti jerked around on hearing that name from Karn and saw Vrushali standing there looking all shocked and baffled. Drishti stood up straight again, suddenly starting to panic.

"Vrush-" Drishti began shuddering in her direction but was interrupted by Vrushali staring at Karn in disbelief. "W-What did you say?"

I love you Drishti. Thats what he said.

Tears clouded Vrushali's eyes and Drishti didnt know why but seeing that look on Vrushali's face, her heart started swelling even more. Drishti always knew Vrushali had feelings for Karn because she could see Vrushali looked at Karn the same way she did, and thats why Drishti had always been jealous of her.

Drishti didnt know what to do now. There were two girls that loved the same man with all their heart, and any one of them being turned down would be equally painful. Drishti wanted to be selfish at that moment but she didnt know why she was thinking about Vrushali now.

Why did she care what would happen to Vrushali if Karn turned down their marriage? The era they lived in was definitely harsher for women. A woman whose marriage was broken had no place to live according to those patriarchal managers of the society.

The treatment those kind of women recieved was inhumane, and Vrushali didnt deserve any of it. A part of Drishti ached for Vrushali as well. Despite her jealousy because of her, Drishti always found Vrushali to be a humble, considerate and sweet girl. She didnt deserve anything bad to happen to her, she was just too kind and innocent for all of it.

But then again, what about Drishti?

"D-Did you just say, you love her?" Vrushali asked in a trembling voice. Drishti stared at her, too many hearts were breaking today.

"He did." Drishti said firmly taking a step forward wiping her tears from her cheeks and Vrushali looked like ground slipped from under her feet.

"And I love him too." Drishti said ignoring the ache in her heart watching Vrushali break more and more at her words. She felt like she was just seeing her reflection from a few moments ago, how she was on the verge of shattering just like Vrushali.

Closing her eyes for a brief moment and inhaling sharply, Drishti added with great difficulty, "But he is yours now."

At her words both Karn and Vrushali stared at her shocked, she herself had a hard time believing that she really said that. Drishti knew today she will have to make a really harsh decision.

"What?" Vrushali whispered in disbelief. Drishti took a step towards her holding her gaze, "You both are about to get married and he is yours now, no matter how much I love him and he loves me, we cant do this to you. You deserve to be happy, Vrushali-"

Drishti interrupted by her own tears betraying her she wiped them quickly with a chuckle and continued, "Dont worry, its just a bit emotional moment for me, everybody knows I dont want to get married ever and that doesnt mean I can control his life as well, he took the decision to get married to you and I shouldnt meddle in it."