Chapter Forty Nine

Drishti held a small smile looking around how the place was decorated

Drishti held a small smile looking around how the place was decorated. She stood alongside Dushasan in a rural area of Indraprastha, where Karn and Vrushali were about to get married.

Dushasan watched as Drishti smiled at a little girl who was excited about the flowers, only he knew how much pain was hidden behind that smile.

He tried multiple times to stop Drishti from coming here, saying she shouldnt go there after what Karn had done to her. He knew she was torturing herself by doing this, but still here she was.

A whole week passed in stillness and nobody realised. On Drishti's part everything had been numb for her. She was numb, to all the feelings. All the seven nights she spent crying in her room silently, not being able to bear the pain in her heart, she was now tired. No more tears were left but that didnt mean her heart didnt cry anymore.

Each passing second was a searing pain she forced on herself. A futile hope still ignited in her heart that it was all a nightmare and soon was going to end, that she wasnt losing him, he'd still be there for her.

But the nightmare went on and on.

"Why did you come, Dushasan?" She asked as she knew neither he wanted her to come here nod he wanted to be here himself but still her stood there by her side.

"I couldnt leave you like this." He muttered trying to show the least of his concern but enough to make her tear up.

"Everybody deserves a friend like you." She said with a teary smile. He didn't smile back, he was still angry at her for not listening to him. She was stubborn and he made sure he proved he was double as stubborn as her. He wasnt going to leave her side anytime soon, neither had he left in those seven days.

Everytime Drishti broke down, everytime she found it suffocating or hard enough to live, he was always there to make sure she was fine. She didnt talk much about how she was feeling but he didnt need her to say anything because all the time they have spent together now, he'd consider it a shame to not know each and everything about her.

Then there was Kritika. When she was free to go and live with her grandmother, she preferred to stay by Drishti's side and comfort her. Drishti was sure of one thing about this era, that if anything here was strongest of all, that was friendship. She didnt know if she'll have anything to be proud of when she returns but there was surely going to be the bonds she made with the people here.

Soon the wedding began as Drishti watched standing amidst the crowd. Karn and Vrushali sitting together behind the sacred fire. Their parents looked extremely happy, very unlikely of their children. Karn sat stiff and emotionless, not even once looking at Vrushali, Drishti didnt like the way he was acting towards her, she had no fault in this.

Then there was Vrushali, she looked heavenly. Simplicity was her most attractive quality which made her look better than any woman Drishti might have laid eyes on. But then again, she wasnt happy either. Her beautiful face was morphed in nothing but sadness. Eyes casted down sorrowfully.