Chapter Hundred and Four

Today was the day the greatest battle of the whole Aryavrat began

Both sides were ready for the day as soon as the sun rose. Ceremonies and rituals being performed since the dark on both sides for the victory though it didnt let anybody sleep not that they actually could knowing the war was to finally begin today.

Drishti watched how the whole Pandava's family had gathered, all men armoured holding weapons in their hands and that brave confident look in their eyes while their wives and mothers did their arti and wished them to be victorious.

Drishti holding an arti thali just like all the ladies stared at her husband standing in front of her as she applied the tilak on his forehead. Drishti hadnt said a word because she didnt know what to. How could she, like everybody else, wish him to be victorious against the people she once considered her family as well. And not just family, how could she possible wish him to kill anybody at all let alone the people who did harm her.

"I know all of this is being too hard for you, Drishti," Arjun spoke in a gentle tone, "But it is for everything that had been taken away from us, from you."

Drishti nodded with a shuddered breath. He was right. It was to avenge them all. Everything they had gone through. All their struggles shouldn't go in vain despite whatever it costs.

Just when he was about to turn and leave with the others she stopped him holding his hand as he glanced back at her slightly confused while she whispered, "Be safe, Arjun."

"I will." He smiled holding her worried gaze a moment longer before finally leaving with everybody.

Just like that with a heavy heart, Drishti watched everybody leave for the battleground feeling as helpless and devastated that now the war is to finally begin. There was no chance for any miracle now.

****

It is said the hardest battles are the ones that are fought alone and Drishti could feel the truth of that deep in her bones. Even though the great war was being fought amongst millions of people, still the one she was fighting within herself was the one that haunted her the most.

It had been eight days since the war began. Eight days of massive bloodshed and deaths and cries and ruination. How could anyone stay sane amidst all of that?

The first day of war marked the death of many on the Pandavas's side among them was also the prince of Matsya Kingdom, Uttar. It was clear the Kauravas were the victorious ones that day.

Drishti still remembered that day vividly when she saw a mother wail over the corpse of her son, it was not easy to move on from that scene at all. And if it was expected that watching people die everyday, would have her become used to of it, then it wasnt true at all. Because every dying or wounded soldiers traumatised her just the same.