Chapter Forty | The Curse

"Do you even know the consequences of this?"

Drishti shuddered looking up to meet Guru Dron's eyes going red in fury. She gulped carefully taking a step forward, "S-Sorry, I didnt mean to break them, Guru Dron-"

"You broke my late wife's last memory." Guru Dron interrupted her high in anger. She looked around for help but everybody seemed scared.

"I did not," Drishti snapped suddenly, courage taking over her, she knew she would have to defend herself if nobody did, "I was handing you those bangles back but you purposely stepped away and they broke because of your mistake."

Everyone knew nothing was going to end well there. It was like Drishti had sparked more anger in him and he was finding it unable to contain.

"I offered those bangles to you with sincerity that you'd become my daughter in law and you agreed!"

"I did not agree to become your daughter in law, never!" Drishti yelled as she was growing frusterated.

"Why is that?" Guru Dron questioned furiously, "Is there a problem in my son? Why dont you want to get married to him? He is a king, he is a brave, good looking and wisest of them all! Then why are you denying?"

"Because it is my wish!" Drishti exclaimed, "Is that not enough of a reason? You offered me, I rejected. What's so difficult in it to understand?"

"Drishti, calm down," Ashwathama spoke up in between cautiously. Drishti furrowed her eyebrows irritated, "Why should I calm down? You should tell your father that? He is the one who is creating this whole scene!"

Ashwathama didnt like the way she spoke right now, no one did, specially Guru Dron, "You disrespectful girl! You dont know how to behave in front of elders! Is that what your parents have taught you?!"

"Forcing your wish on somebody, is that what your parents have taught you?!" Drishti snapped back, lots of people gasped, "I though you were really wise and understanding but I thought wrong!"

"Drishti, thats my father you are talking to," Ashwathama spoke up again, this time really seriously, "Have the decency to talk respectfully to him atleast."

Drishti looked away folding her arms, a part of her knew what Ashwathama was saying was right but she had a really short and immature temper to deal with what was happening right now. She muttered grumpily just for the sake of their friendship, "Respect goes both ways, Ashwathama, regardless of people's age."

"Drishti be quiet now-" Pitamah said silently to her but was interrupted by a furious Guru Dron, "This girl doesnt deserve anyone's respect after what she had done."

That caused Drishti's blood to boil, "Excuse me? 'What I have done'? Its more like what you have done, Guru Dron, so please dont blame me for what has happened you are only making things worse."