Chapter Hundred and Five

On the tenth day of the war, as the evening proceeded all the women waited for the men's return

On the tenth day of the war, as the evening proceeded all the women waited for the men's return. Drishti too peered over the fence anxiously. The signal for the war ending today was a little early for some reasons which had everyone a little worried though she was kind of aware of the reason for it.

As now called Shrikhandi, arrived on the eight day in the Pandavas camps bearing the information about her boon which said she could become a man after spending the last twelve years in harsh austerities and penance so that she could participate in the war and take her revenge.

It was on the tenth day the Pandavas had asked her to join them in the battleground to defeat Pitamah Bhishma as Shrikhandi acquired a boon to remain a man for only a day and today was the perfect day to use that boon according to Krishna.

When all the soldiers departed in the morning for the war, Drishti had hugged Shrikhandini a little longer as for her she was still the elder sister she met when she first arrived in that era and today she had a gut feeling she might be seeing her for the last time.

Ever since Iravan's death, Drishti had made sure to spend time with whole her family as the uncertainty of life scared the hell out of her. You never know when you are seeing someone for the last time and she certainly didnt want to live up with the guilt of not giving someone enough time before knowing it was too late now.

It wasnt much later when the Pandavas and kids arrived with their whole army, their faces hanging while the Pandavas were really trying very hard to lift up their gazes but for some reasons they couldnt.

But someone would only be a fool if they didnt understand what that look on the faces of the Pandavas meant. The look of great guilt, shame and devastation. It was now clear that Pitamah Bhishma was defeated.

No one said anything as they just couldnt, all of them went inside as it got darker. Though the thick silence of misery was hard to breath in. It was later informed that while Pitamah rested on the bed of the arrows still not freed of his life, Shrikhandi had willing given up her life now as her purpose was completed. She had taken her revenge.

While Subhadra had comforted Draupadi who lost her sister, Drishti was with her husband in her room who still wouldn't say anything neither meet anybody's gaze.

"Arjun," Drishti reached for him, placing a hand on his shoulder as he was turned around, "Talk to me, please."

When he did nothing, she added in a gentler tone, "I know how you are feeling-"

"No," He interrupted her in a quiet tone which felt so forced, so stiff, she saw as he turned to face her a bit with tears glistening in his reddened eyes, "I dont think you do, Drishti."

At that moment, hearing that vulnerability in his voice, she just wanted to hug him for hours until she could feel it in her bones that he was feeling better.