Chapter Hundred and Seven

The day next to Jaydrath's death marked the death of Guru Dron and Duryodhan's son, Lakshman

Drishti was ofcourse broken to hear that. She wasnt even over Abhimanyu, Iravan and Vrishansena's death when she was informed Lakshman was slain in the battle too. Her heart only shattered so deeply for the deaths of children more than anybody. They didnt deserve any of this at all.

After Jaydrath's death and being avenged by her husband, Drishti had internally wanted the war to now stop as its purpose was now fulfilled. The main culprit was punished and it wasnt necessary in her opinion to carry on the war but she knew what she wanted was not going to come true. She had tried multiple times.

In the evening, when all the Pandavas too went in the last rites of Guru Dron, Drishti had watched them from a distance. Ashwathama doing all the rites with a numb look, trying to mask his devastation with a blank expression but she could see how his insides were experiencing the turmoil after losing his father when he deep down knew he had failed to become a good son to him.

She just wanted to go to him and talk him through all his misery. He too once was her friend, when all of them had been happy and held no ill feelings towards each other. Maybe it was always evident in her eyes about how much she missed their time together.

Unlike, Duryodhan, his brothers and Karn, Ashwathama was the one who actually grew to hate Drishti once they drifted apart. Their friendship stopped existing before any of their's broke. It was all a matter of a misunderstanding. The night when Guru Dron asked her to marry his son. It had been bitter since. Ofcourse even Ashwathama knew that she was not at all fault that night but it was his fault that he got influenced so quick unlike all of them. In his opinion, she was the one who changed and betrayed them.

And if even today, there was a little hope of changing and bettering things between them, she would go till ends holding onto that last hope. Because, to feel that genuine happiness she once did with all of them, she would simply do anything to get that back again.

Exhaling sharply, Drishti wiped away those silent tears that had sweeped down her eyes, a weak smile stretched over her face remembering Guru Dron and the little time she spent with him. Even though whatever passed between them was bitter but she still believed him to be a man of high personality and honor just like Pitamaha.

After battling through her mind she had, a few days ago gone to meet him and instantly regretting seeing his state. Dried up puddle of blood underneath those hundreds of arrows which had pierced him, reeked obnoxiously. His fragile state and minimal coarse voice filled with pain and fatigue, scared her immensely. Upon knowing of her presence, he talked to her for as long as his voice supported him there. Even in that state he was able to soothe a little amount of pain in her, motivating her to stay strong how she had always been and how he had always admired her for it.

"I still remember what a childish and outspoken girl once you were when you first arrived at Hastinapur," Pitamaha said in his heavily cracked tone, with a little smile on his face making Drishti chuckle through tears as she was sitting beside him, "You would question every single thing, ask me silly questions all the time purposely, causing trouble everywhere with your friends."