Chapter 2: Never Liked Her Anyway

Copyright © Chloe Winson

Chapter 2: I never liked her anyway.

The car ride home was amazing! We bought ice cream, serenaded cheesy love songs to passers-by and even stopped for a cheeky burger- not, Psych! For the first time in my life, I was contemplating diving headfirst out of a moving vehicle.

Adam, or as I liked to call him, Pudge, had kept his face contorted into an 'I just ate a sour-sweet' expression. Not even a drive past 'Dunkin Donuts' could cheer this happy guy up. As for Taylor, well, from the moment we had buckled up he had stayed mum and from the knotting of his eyebrows and overly long sighs, it was clear to see that he would not be engaging in any conversation.

Sighing loudly, I occupy myself by picking at the hem of my shirt. The little distraction was not enough to stop me from noticing movement in the rear-view mirror.

"You know, taking a picture lasts longer you fat sh-"

"Gweneviere!" the outburst from Tyler has me jumping in my seat.

Like a naughty child, my bottom lip wobbled from the force I used to stop the smile that threatened to spread across my lips. Taylor had turned an alarming shade of red and the veins on his neck were more prominent than before. In fact, I'm pretty sure the vein on his forehead was pulsing.

Clicking my tongue in annoyance, I lean forward and motion to Pudgy with my thumb. "He is looking at me like I'm a freaking salad! It's not my fault the waitress misheard his order of extra fries for extra salad on the side. You should be thank-"

Taylor turns his head to look at me, a wild look in his eyes. Nostrils flaring, he grits out through clenched teeth. "That. Is. Enough."

Ingesting a deep breath to calm my erratic heartbeat, it takes every ounce of my willpower to stop myself from answering back. Clenching my jaw to stop myself from answering back, I finally sit back with my arms folded across my chest and turn my face away from him to stare out of the passing scenery.

It's too dark to see anything clearly, so I am met with my own tense expression. From the wind, my dark brown locks had frizzed out from its usual heated curls into a mass of frizz that hangs lifelessly to my shoulders, the ends ending at my shoulder blade. My rounded jaw was prominent beneath my clenched jaw, pulling my heart-shaped lips into a straight line. I had been told numerous times by disgruntled family members that I had inherited my button nose and deer like eyes from my mother.

The sound of someone clearing their throat draws my attention away from my reflection to the rear-view mirror which Pudgy uses to flash me a satisfied smirk.

My fingers holding onto my bicep tighten, threatening to bite through my jacket and the first layer of skin as I silently mouth a 'fuck you' to his reflection.

-XO-

The moment the car turned onto my street, I knew my stepmother was awake. A soft glow of amber emitted from almost every window and the moment the car rolled to a stop at the end of my drive, the lounge curtain twitched.

Someone was anxious.

Taylor, being the gentleman he was kindly walked me to the door. Even Pudgy had the nerve to accompany us.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see his smile widen as we began to ascend the porch steps. My eyes narrowed in anger and from the corner of my lips, I mutter, "Can't you even try a little professionalism and act like you're not going to enjoy this."