Chapter 15: Chocolate Spread

I was rolling around on the marble floor of the passage way with Rodger growling and turning his face away as he pulled on one half of the rope, effectively pulling my clothed body across the polished floor.  I pulled back and didn’t have enough time to process the key turning in the lock, before I could tell my aunt to wait the front door opened almost hitting me in the head. Rodger took advantage of my hesitant actions  and pulled the rope from my hands leaving me with a light case or friction burn and wounded pride. Nobody steals my sock! Not having enough time to look at my aunt as she stepped in, I dived on my dog tackling him to the ground as I wrestled for the now slobbery sock. “Rodger give it back. Hey Aunt June, your back late.” I let out a hiss of pain when my dog head-butted me.

Jesus, what is his head made of, bricks?

When a silence followed and my aunt didn’t reply I frowned and was about to shout over my shoulder if she was okay when a deep voice echoing throughout the foyer making me freeze, “Well this is amusing.” They said.

The hand rubbing my head stopped and my eyes bulged out of their sockets as I slowly turned to look at the intruder, stolen sock forgotten.

When I see the boy standing at my door with keys in his tanned hands my mouth drops. “What the hell are you doing here? Who let you in? And who the hell said you can walk in without permission? And where did you get those keys?” I shout as I straiten my back and twist around to make sure I was not seeing things.

Kyle raised an amused eyebrow and purposely jiggled the keys in his hands. “That’s a lot of questions.” He declared as he stuffed the keys in his pockets, a smirk playing on the corner of his lips.

Staring up at him from the floor, I angrily brushed a stray strand of hair from my eyes. “Let me guess you tiny brain can’t function them all.” I tut as I draw my gaze away to straighten the sock that hadn’t been stolen.

Kyle snorted and pushed the shirt of his long sleeve up. “Well, since you live here, I think its best you know that I will be staying her tonight. And for your next questions, I let myself in with something known as keys, their also mine.”

Blinking up at him, I tried to figure the best way to handle the situation. Should I laugh and accuse him of breaking an entry? Hit him and tell the police I thought it was the burglar from earlier? No, that won’t work.   

Instead, I got angry and determined to get to the bottom of while Kyle was in my house, with a set of keys. “Who. Gave. You. Keys?” I asked through gritted teeth.

Kyle seemed to be waiting for my question, his eyes falling on mine as he spoke slowly, sparking my anger. “June, who else?”

Breathing out my nose, I seethed, “And where is June?”

Kyle seemed to watch me get angry through amused eyes as he folded his arms across his chest and made himself comfortable by leaning back against the door. “It comes before July.” He replied smoothly making my fist clench and my eye’s to narrow. Kyle snorted at my change of face and rolled his eyes before answering me, “Gone to park the car in the garage, you’re too easy to wind up.” He shook his head and pushed himself of the door only to purposely brush past me, his calf brushing my back making me shiver.

“Hello!” Aunt June’s voice had me springing up from my spot from the floor and heading towards the garage door where my aunt appeared. 

“He’s staying tonight?” I asked when I got to her, my thumb pointed over my shoulder at Kyle who was slipping his trainers off as if he owned the place.

Aunt June frowned at my tone, her eyes flickering to Kyle and back to me. “Yes,” she nodded, confused, “he’s stayed over plenty of times.” she confirmed her eyebrow’s knotting at my dejected face.