Chapter 19: Don't Get Mad...Get Even

Chapter 19: Don't Get Mad...Get Even

“Go left! No left, shoot! I'm pressing the trigger, but it’s not working! You piece of shit! It just wants me to loose!” I screamed as attacked the poor button with my thumb, my frantic battering stopped when white words drifted up the screen,

 Mission Failed: Player One Wins!

As I breathed out my nose in disappointment and anger a hand appeared of the top of my head and the controller was snatched form my hands. “My turn!” Taylor shouted from above me, he was lying behind me on the couch; his legs sprawled out and his head leaning on the head rest. Kyle had taken the one seated recliner closer to the TV, both of them in sweats and unkempt hair. Huffing at loosing and being in a room that smelt like teen sweat, I leaned back against the couch taking satisfaction in squishing was dangling off. My butt had gone past the point of numb and I had begun to grow bored.

I pulled at the string on my knee for the next 10 minutes as I waited for one of them to die so I could have my turn.  Kyle jumping up and down in his seat made me jump as he flapped his hands to the screen.  “No, I’m left. Yeah, quick revive me!” I watched as the Taylor in the game revived a dying Kyle for them to continue on their game.

 “No don't.” I whispered to Taylor who snickered and nudged me with his foot to shut up. I watched in disappointment as Kyle character jumped back up his health fully restored. “I would have left him for dead.” I told Taylor ready to move away from his foot.

Taylor had already been here for four days and so far all his time had been spent with Kyle. I mean, hello? You are here to enjoy time with me, not Kyle; the guy didn’t even like you when you first met. Now, I can’t pull them apart, Kyle is practically in love with him and I'm starting to think there is more than one love story in this soppy thing called a book.

 “Oh, head shot!” they both shouted at the same tone and I rolled my eyes when they shared a ‘manly’ fist bump.

Taylor looked away from the game to show sign of humanity when he spoke, “The first person to get five kills has to buy dinner.”  Kyle not looking from the screen slapped hands and did a sloppy handshake, sealing the deal.

I huffed and pulled my phone from my pocket to check if I had any messages, when it came up clear I frowned and threw it onto the pillow next to me that had fallen off the couch.

The game was paused and I looked up at Kyle who was frowning over at me. He pointed the controller at me, “Will you stop groaning, you’re distracting me.”  

I blinked at him, my eyes flickering to Taylor who was watching us intently, “I'm not doing anything!” I defended as I folded my arms across my chest.

Kyle rolled his eyes, his eyes flickering to the screen as he replayed the game, light flashed around the room but I kept my eyes on Kyle as he spoke, “You’re groaning every five minutes and you keep checking your phone. Why don’t you just ring whoever it is?” he questioned, his words rushing at the end as he pounded his thumb against the x button.

I let out a low breath, the butterflies in my stomach increasing at the flattery of Kyle noticing these little things.

I cleared my throat and angled my chin up, pretending I wasn’t affected by his words as I indecisively answered, “What are you Mystic Meg? Nothing’s wrong.” I lied and rolled my eyes in irritation. When I caught Taylor watching me from the corner of his eye, I raised an eyebrow, daring him to spill my lie.  

In fact there was something bothering me, yesterday when I went to retriever my calculus book from my locker…

….Flashback….