Chapter 4: The Evil Child

Happy Reading! 

Chapter 4: The Evil Child.         

Can someone please explain to me how a big burning ball of gas that is approximately 92.96 million miles away from earth manages to strike the only place in the room that happens to be my pillow? How is that even possible? I was awoken to a beam of light that caused me to see red behind my closed lids, not only was I woken by the ray of light but the happy chirps of the morning birds that thought they were on set of ‘Mary Poppins ‘.  One day, that’s all it has been, when I finally get to fall asleep I’m awoken from my slumber by the sound of birds.

Great, just great.

As I rolled over I groaned my foot getting tangled in the sheets. How can they be so happy in the damn morning? It’s not like they have anything to look forward to, well, that’s if they consider smashing into windows and getting eaten by cat’s fun.

Well, whatever floats their boat.

I looked at my alarm clock, my eyes fluttering briefly over the time before at the window where I could see birds flapping to rest on the roof edge. The thought of throwing my alarm clock at them crossed my mind. Rubbing my eyes, I shook the thought away and when my hand stretched forward to grab it, I smacked it away.

Don’t even think about it Gwen, you murderer.

Throwing the covers back, I padded across the room and to the door; I wasn’t surprised when I passed the mirror and caught sight of the dark circles under my eyes. The party had come to a close at 5 something leaving me with only a couple of hours of sleep. When I pulled open the door, the strong smell of food filled my nose; it smelt sickeningly sweet and delicious. I left the door slightly open allowing the smell to engulf my room as I brushed my teeth and pulled my hair back into a ponytail in the shortest time possible.

When I got downstairs (well, I slid down the railing and almost fell flat on my butt when my socks slid against the marble) Aunt June was shoving a whole pancake into her mouth, I gawped at her from my spot at the kitchen door as she waved her fork in my direction, beckoning me in.

I complied and sat down, ignoring her raised eyebrow at my attire. I had been so hungry that I hadn’t bothered changing out of her Tweedy pyjamas and instead chose to follow my nose. When she stood up and grabbed something off the counter, my mouth watered as she placed a stack of freshly baked pancakes in front of me, followed by a can of whipped cream, syrup and chocolate sauce.

It's official, by the end of the year I will be rolling around.

 “I knew I smelt something good.” I complimented as I drizzled a generous amount of chocolate sauce onto my first pancake. Her eyes widened as I did the same with her, shoving the whole thing in my mouth, moans of pleasure escaping my puffed up lips.

“Are you sure you’re a lady?” she asked, snickering at me as I shoved half of the second pancake in my mouth.  “You eat like a man.” She resorted making me snort.

After swallowing the food in my mouth, I pointed my fork at her, “Your eyesight is as bad as an old man’s.” I concluded before straightening my back and delicately cutting the pancake into little pieces.

 “So, what’s next door like?” I asked keeping my tone light as I raised a questioning eyebrow. Aunt June was busying herself with pouring us both a glass of orange juice; she looked up from pouring and rolled her eyes.  

She hesitated before speaking, “He’s nice, just a tad loud sometimes but that’s what I expect from him.”

I looked at her my mouth flopping open.