Chapter 13: Trouble With A Capital T

Chapter 13: Trouble with a capital T

I blinked at the lady who was dressed in all in black, a white apron tired around her waist; her head was cocked to the side as she watched me through narrowed eyes. “Uh...hi.”  I stuttered out, offering a lame wave to which Jessica snorted in amusement.

The lady nodded her head slowly and untucked the feather duster from her arm, her eyes resting on my choice of attire. I shifted remembering that I was still in my shorts that were covered by my large top.  “You must be one of Kyle’s 'friends'. You’re not supposed to be here. Time for you to go home.” She tried to shoo me away and I held my hands up.

“Whoa, I’m not a friend, I’m more of an ener-“  I tried to explain, still reeling from the fact she had put finger quotations on the word 'friend'.

The lady watched me struggle with words before offering to help, which turned out be no help at all but sound more like an insult. “A friend from the party?” she suggested making me want to stamp my foot in annoyance.

Holding my hands up, I shouted, “Will you stop saying the word friend, you make it sound dirty.” I told her and tried to ignore the shiver that ran down my spine.

Her eyes narrowed and she folded her arms across her chest, her hip slightly cocked out as I swallowed. Great Gwen, now she’s going to wonder why you are here. “Well are you a friend or not?” she asked, her mouth in a thin line making me swallow.

Deciding that flipping the question was the best tactic in this situation, I asked her, “Are you a friend?” I turned raising my eyebrows in question.

The girls mouth fell open and she placed a hand on her heart, appalled at my accusation. “Certainly not!” she shouted.

I nodded and muttered a, “Hmm, are you sure?” I teased, dragging her torture out.

She shivered before nodding her head, “”That I am certain of.” she regarded me with an icy glare, still reeling from the shock.

Smiling in satisfaction, I decided to push my luck as I made sure. “Are you double sure?” I questioned.

Before she could answer Jessica threw her hands in the air. “Oh for god’s sake Gwen! She already told you she's not a friend.” Jessica's snapped making me jump.

I almost forgot that she was here.

“Jesus Christ Jessica, we have got to get you a bell. It will suit your character.” I told her as I smiled proudly at my inside joke.  

Jessica rounded on me and raised a blonde eyebrow. “Are you calling me a cat?”

Sighing, I shook my head. “No... I'm calling you a cow.”

Jessica gasped and shuffled away from me, annoyance and anger making her eye twitch.

I held my hands in the air and offered a shrug. “What! Take it as a complement. I could have called you a lot worse. ” I pointed out.

Jessica’s lips pulled back into a sneer as she looked me up and down. “Well,” she began, “At least I don’t look like a fat pregnant elephant that swallowed a bus.”

It was my turn to gasp as I tried to digest and picture the image of the poor elephant, when my face appeared instead of a elephants I laughed.

“What did you call me?” I turned to look down at her once I had finished with my mental image. Jessica tried to fake innocence as she blinked up at me.

Cocking her head to the side, she questioned, “Fat? Why yes I did, you demented dinosaur.”

The maid blinked at the little girl before gasping, “She just called you fat.” She informed me, her eyes flickering between the brat and I.