Chapter 22: An Eventful Weekend

Chapter 22: An eventful weekend.

“What are you doing?” someone stage whispered into my ear, making me jump causing me to lose the rhythm I had going against the table top. I look over at the culprit and smile. Drizzle and Dan had dragged there curious asses over to see what was taking so long. Drizzle's eyes were crinkled at the corner in glee at my startled jump. Dan on the other hand was looking extremely scary under the cinema's dull lighting. His dark appearance seemed to catch every passers by eyes. A kid cuddles his dad's leg as they pass by. I snicker when I heard the dad try and comfort his son by saying he was only an actor advertising a movie. Dan undoubtedly looked like he had stepped out of a horror film.

I offer them both a smile before I turn back around to lean against the counter so I can look down the walkways to see what was taking the staff so long. There was still no one in sight. I I believe I'm still waiting. I think they need a bell or something.” 

Drizzle sighs and leans next to me, his hand searching through a box full of sweets. “The movie is going to start any minute now.” 

When the staff door finally opens and someone steps out, Drizzle whips his hand out from the sweet box and begins to slow clap.  his head back and let out a slow clap when a man appeared from the ‘staff’ door.

I order my choice of popcorn and wait patiently as the member of staff apologise but he would need to get it from another counter as there was an issue with the current popcorn machine. As he walks away, Drizzle throws his head back and let's out a loud sigh. "Are you being serious!? How long is this going to take? We are going to miss the movie."

Quick shut him up. Wait what should I do? Give him an uppercut, poke him in the eye? No Gwen, you want to silence him, not kill him.

I cast a quick look at the boys fading figure as he rounds the corner, his shoulders now tense. Great, now he is going to spit in my popcorn.

I turn and grab both Drizzle and Dan's arm and begin to walk towards the theatre doors, “You know what? I'm sure it won’t be long now. I'll pull my big girl panties on and brave this alone. I'll see you in a second."

Dan opens his mouth to protest and before he can utter a si gleam word I gasp, "I can hear the start of the movie."

It seems to do the tricks and they both quickly scamper though the open door and into the theatre. I return back to my spot at the counter pleased to see a worker holding a fresh bag of popcorn.

My eyes widen when I catch sight of the person holding my bag of popcorn. There with a red cap upon his head, his whispy hair picking out beneath was Dale.  At my approach he looks up, his 'friendly' smile falters upon the realisation it was me who ordered the popcorn.

“Oh Dale, do you work here?” I question, slightly alarmed at seeing a familiar face.

Dale frowned and pulled at his top, just over his chest showing me the badge of fabric that had been embedded into the red. “Yep, that's what the badge says. I guess it was you that ordered the Sweet and Salted?” he asks his smile too big to be genuine as he shakes my bag of popcorn.

Frowning, I stand on my tiptoes and try to look for the other guy who I had given my order to. For some reason, I half expected to see the boy lying face down, dead on the floor so Dale could switch places with him. 

I really need to stop watching horror films.

"Yep, that would be me and a coke too. ”

Oh god, what if Dale is a murderer and wants to kill me too? 

"Sure thing."

As Dale worked on the drink machine, I focused on  engraving every detail of Dale into my memory. His black hair was poking out beneath the burgundy cap in whispy strands which curled at the end. His high cheek bones and strong nose fitting perfectly with his build, his broad shoulders making me shiver. Being alone with him- even in a public place still creeped me out.